TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025303540455055 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

Very moody. Very dark. Good stuff!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by str8g8
    my new site.
    As an aside, did you come across my old city map based on T1/T2?

Thanks for the kind words! Finally getting back into editing (been pretty busy with work lately) but now I'm having a blast making this level. I have storyline, plot all worked out, I have 80% of the maps (there are 2) ... just have to worry about all the scripting ... I get the feeling that isn't going to be so much fun

Scumble: I used the final version of your map extensively when I started mapping ... but the only ones I could find on the net are so small you can't read the text. Do you still have the full size one kicking around your hard disk? I'd like to compare your placement of some of the T1\T2 sites with ours.

Quote Originally Posted by GlasWolf
    Just for the record, my freezer technique link was purely for amusement purposes! The correct way seems to be to put it in a sealed plastic bag and stick it in the freezer for about an hour, then connect the drive up immediately after you take it out. Won't do any harm, and certainly worth a shot before taking the drive apart.
    Should have known this a few months before. By now I have everything reinstalled. At least I didn't loose and irreplacable data, but this was the second Quantum HD that died on me in about two years. No other HD ever did this to me.

Thanks for the kind words! Finally getting back into editing (been pretty busy with work lately) but now I'm having a blast making this level. I have storyline, plot all worked out, I have 80% of the maps (there are 2) ... just have to worry about all the scripting ... I get the feeling that isn't going to be so much fun

Scumble: I used the final version of your map extensively when I started mapping ... but the only ones I could find on the net are so small you can't read the text. Do you still have the full size one kicking around your hard disk? I'd like to compare your placement of some of the T1\T2 sites with ours.
    [PainedVoice]Scripting is fun![/PainedVoice]

Will you let me go now?
    Will you stop torturing me?
    I told them what you wanted me to tell them, so can I go now?
    What are you doing with that Burrick? No! NOOOO!

Still Subjective
    I'm reworking my mission from the ground up! The space I was using was far too large so I've had to chop it up (even more).

I'm struggling with the cave meshes atm - although they are made to fit together if you want to make a custom space you sometimes expose the "wooden supports" behind them and in game that part of the mesh is invisible so you can see through it. I'm trying to work around it but I don't want to end up in the land of a thousand meshes.

This is frustrating, I want to post screenshots but the entries for Komag's contest must remain secret. I cannot divulge any information (well, and it makes me work harder to figure things out for myself. So I don't give too much away asking questions in the newbie thread.) No matter how much you torture me...

OK, Garret is 20 feet tall, and he can fly, but that's all I will say.

Administrator
    Do you still have the full size one kicking around your hard disk? I'd like to compare your placement of some of the T1\T2 sites with ours.
    Here is the pdf version, which has all the original detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardic
    OK, Garret is 20 feet tall, and he can fly, but that's all I will say.

You're not serious, I assume.

Though that would be pretty cool. I mean, check out the coolness factors here people:

- Garrett = cool
    - Flying = cool
    - 20 feet tall = cool
    - 20-foot tall flying Garrett = double plus cool!

I don't know if I'm going to get my mission finished... I keep getting distracted by other things. Which is very typical of me.

Heh. No, I had to pick something I wouldn't want to end up doing for Komag's contest, and with the small size, a 20 foot Garret would be very cramped.

But once this contest is over I have a bunch of things I want to try in different levels. I'd just better focus on one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    I don't know if I'm going to get my mission finished... I keep getting distracted by other things. Which is very typical of me.
    So Crispy, where's our T3Ed enhancements, eh?

scumble: cheers

you should drop in on mapping the city sometime

ProjectX: I don't expect it will be fun ... I just hope I can emerge the other side with some sanity points left

Quote Originally Posted by ascottk
    So Crispy, where's our T3Ed enhancements, eh?
    Shutupshutupshutup.

It's currently stalled, as I ran into a rather nasty design flaw that I'd somehow managed to overlook beforehand. It can be fixed, but I'll have to completely rewrite a large chunk of code to do so. Not something I'm looking forward to.

The design flaw is in the (very complicated) events handling, which is used for things like automatically closing the Texture Browser on startup. The other half of the project, adding in new commands, is half-done; the implementation is there, I just need to add the capability to add the commands to existing toolbars and menus. (I was also going to add a customize toolbar dialog which could rearrange all existing menus and toolbars, but I think it would be better to just get the thing out the door in some form first. At the moment it's many hundreds of lines of vapourware (Edit: actually, I just counted and it's not hundreds, it's thousands of lines of source code - 3000 of my own code, plus at least 6000 lines of non-standard library code), and I hate having it hanging around like that. )

Anyway, I decided any time spent on Thief stuff would be better spent on my mission for Komag's contest. So blame him, not me.

(Just kidding. It's my fault. )

Edit: Working on it now. I've found a nice elegant solution to the design flaw, which prevents me having to rewrite half of the darn thing. Yippee!
    Last edited by Crispy; 9th Sep 2005 at 07:50.

Thanks for the update, Crispy

Gah! I keep getting distracted from my contest FM!

I'll just say one thing: It has a big ass amount of scripts and links in order to do something quite complex that will probably end up being doable with only 1 trigger script or something like that.

Fun Fun Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectX
    It has a big ass amount of scripts and links in order to do something quite complex that will probably end up being doable with only 1 trigger script or something like that.
    I know the feeling

Quote Originally Posted by ascottk
    I know the feeling

Is this the "My blood is boiling and my head is about to pop off if this next script dosen't work" feeling?

If so, then yep! I can relate

Well... on that note...

I am currently working on some Texture Conversions from .utx to .dds format. Will be a lesson in generating matlibs for sure, but there are quite a few "Thiefy" textures in the Old Ut series. So aside from fleshing out the last 1% of my 99% complete FM and currently dredding the scripting portion trying to get some form of swimmable water going (WARNING:run on sentence!) I normally just fend off family and friends when I am accused of "Spending too much time with my new friend T3ED".

Im not doing a whole lot!!
    Last edited by Caseus; 9th Sep 2005 at 14:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseus
    Is this the "My blood is boiling and my head is about to pop off if this next script dosen't work" feeling?
    If so, then yep! I can relate
    Can't we all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseus
    currently dredding the scripting portion trying to get some form of swimmable water going
    Been there, tried that. Good luck, you'll need it...

Most of my efforts were directed towards modifying gravity by adding in my own scripted gravity loop, but it seems that Garrett isn't affected by scripted physics impulses. Unless I've done something wrong. Which is likely.

Back to work, Crispy!

I'm a bit nervous, I haven't posted pics before.
    I have been beating my head on the monitor for a couple days now, and this is what came of it. This is a nice remake of what I did in 2000 with DromEd before my HD crashed.
    I will likely continue on this but now I want to move on to more Smesh related things. I also need to play with texturing some more.
    I hope these are fun to look at, they were fun to make so far.

Whoa, I hope the file sizes aren't to nuts. I have never used this service before.

Enjoy!

looks great!

I'd add a bit more color contrast (blue -> yellow, and green -> red, etc) and a few more static meshes for some more detail, but other than that it's quite a good-looking level.

Thanks
    It is a total WIP. I chose the Titanic to build, at least this small part of it, because I figured it would be challenging. Since it seems I can't finish the staircase without building it with brushes, I am going to stop on this for now and build stuff based on the Smeshes provided. Even with what is there it is a fairly unlimited supply of classic architectural goodness.
    If I come across $4k I'll pick up a copy of 3ds Max and do it right!
    Here's a few more pics of it a bit further along. Some of it looks good and other parts, rather Gaudi.

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2181/gaudi45cx.jpg
    http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9344/gaudi56rj.jpg
    http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2049/gaudi29pv.jpg

wow. that middle pic is nice!

Screennshots at last!

Nothing particularly spectacular here, but it's nice to have some visible progress for a change
    The first pic (main cathedral) is the only place that is really finished, the rest are all still WIP.
    From left to right: Saint Mortimer's Cathedral (inside), Saint Mortimer's Cathedral (outside), archbishop's private chapel from ground level, the same but from a different angle, and one of the rooms in the Tower.
    The mission is called Trytos Tamuran, and is in two load zones (10 mb .unr and 7 mb .unr), all these pics are from the big unr. The BSP is probably at around 90%, but everything else would be below 50%. At the moment, there are only three NPCs in the whole place - two Hammers and a zombie - and most of the rooms are still empty. It's come a long way since June (I started it for the Small FM contest - and it expanded) and will (hopefully) be released sometime this decade...

EDIT: the pics are all pretty dark, but it looks fine in-game.

Holy shit Rantako. Thats awesome.

Wow, really nice architecture and lighting!

Just one thing I'd advise is adding some small-radius low-brightness omni. no-shadow lights near the windows the lighten up the wall around it, giving it the look of light spilling over. Try it.

Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025303540455055 ... LastLast