TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126313641465156 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

I know, I know, old thread. But now that Komag's contest is over we can start showing our work again. I'll see what I can post once I get home. Well, and once I finish playing the contest missions a bit more

Since I didn't enter Komag's contest (he offered me extra time in all, nice guy, I just thought it wasn't fair on those that worked hard to get it in on time when I was just too lazy) I can show some screens of my (almost) finished FM TDS_PX_Lighthouse.

This FM, barring the contest FMs (which I have been unable to play yet due to time restrictions) could possible be awarded "FM with most complex scripting to get simplest thing done". I.e. I have fitted the place with an alarm system. If an AI goes into red alert non-combatants (and combatants not directly in combat) will run straight to a button and trigger an alarm, causing certain red lights to turn on and an alarm to ring out. All AI will instantly become incredibly suspicious and will actively search you out. The animations are a bit buggy, but it works. Ish. The alarm can then be turned off in the basement. This was to compensate for the fact that most of the level is connected via ladders, which the AI can't use.

Approx. 70 triggerscript links went into this system, and 6 seperate scripts. I just hope you guys are impressed when I release.

Now Ziemanskye will come on and say "you could have just done such-and-such thing in two steps and it would be done" at which point I jump out of the window.

Screens will appear shortly.

That sounds cool. Mind documenting how you did it? It's always good not to have to reinvent the wheel - or, in this case, the alarm system.

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectX
    Now Ziemanskye will come on and say "you could have just done such-and-such thing in two steps and it would be done" at which point I jump out of the window.
    No I wont.
    Maybe ascottk or Krypt, but not me.
    I just make things look good, I'm useless at scripting, but if that works, DAMN I'm impressed.

I'll probably begin documenting it next time I get seriously drunk. Believe me, I'd have to. With all the re-writing and bodging I've had to do to get it to work in the first place.

In all seriousness I will document how I did it, and no doubt through the aid of others we can polish it into a completely working form, but my first priority is to release it.

Bump.
    (in a hope to see some new screens or read some news).

What FMs should I expect in the nearest months anyway?

Early next month (hopefully) my next one - Forgotten Places

When it's done (December?) - House of Shadows

Most of the screenshots I've posted in this thread are from it. I'd show you some nice new screens, but I don't want to give any more away at the moment.

Irrational Games
    Hopefully around January, the same mission I've posted screens from in this thread in the past (since about page 2). Working Title: Mount Vega, but I'm pretty sure that will change.

I'm in the same boat as Gestalt, I could post more screens, but I don't want to give too much away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye
    No I wont.
    Maybe ascottk or Krypt, but not me.
    I just make things look good, I'm useless at scripting, but if that works, DAMN I'm impressed.
    Nah, there's no 2 step way to make a system like that system work. We had the same thing in DX:IW where we had a stock scripts that went on alarm panels and lights so we pretty much just had to add Alarm links. We also had a thing called an AlarmRelay which was an invisible marker that would link to all the klaxons and whatever else is affected by the alarm, and then you would link any alarm panels or beamtriggers to the AlarmRelay to tell it to set them off. That simplified it a bit.
    Last edited by Krypt; 4th Nov 2005 at 16:38.

Great, at least 3 T3FMs in the near future

Have you already gone through the ones from the recent KOMAG competition?

Well, not much, but new and old pictures:

Quote Originally Posted by Tch
    Have you already gone through the ones from the recent KOMAG competition?

Of course. I already have played them all, not only C6 ones Competition FMs are a bit too small though, but The Crypt was great.

Ziemansky, I like the screenshots, one of them I saw earlier. I only hope that indoor spaces (or caves) won't be as cramped as they were in Schizm. Also, I thought the Schizm had too much various objects in each room, that's great, but that didn't worked for me somehow (aesthetically), it felt rather motley. Just a bit of criticism
    Last edited by 242; 5th Nov 2005 at 05:48.

I'm building to the same kind of scale, but there's (so far) more ground space to move in, if that's what you mean.

The motley-ness of the random stuff in the rooms in Schism was deliberate, but this should be less varied in the living area. Hopefully this will also be a better *mission* than Schism was, but again my main goal is to make it look good.

Construction is also so far going better than Schism, because I'm planning each room, building that, then planning the next one, so I haven't ran into as many (or any so far) BSP problems, despite a lot of irregular brush work.

I'm building to the same kind of scale, but there's (so far) more ground space to move in, if that's what you mean.

I meant that rooms in Schizm were too small, it's hard to imagine how people managed to live or work there

The bed rooms were cramped, yes, but they were meant to be.

Everything else looked okay to me.
    But then I'm used to unreal scale, as opposed to the spectacularly bereft of detail Thief scale (no offence to anyone meant).

Also remember Garrett has a fat ass - gaps normal people would have little to no trouble with he can't fit through, which is something Schism had a lot of trouble with (chair and table sets too close together and such).

Forgotten Spaces doesn't have that problem, yet...

But anyway - I'll build it my way, and everyone else can get on with making good missions...

I forgot that Serge was doing sequel of The Walk, +1 upcoming FM.

I've nearly finished TDS_PX_Lighthouse, I just need to finalize (add) custom textures and zip it up.

I've nearly finished TDS_PX_Lighthouse
    YAY!

And in other news...

I've nearly finished TDS_PX_Lighthouse, I just need to finalize (add) custom textures and zip it up.

:thumb How is map's size, is it more like Special Vintage or Krellek's or C6FM?

Ziemanskye, I don't remember seeing those vines in the game, are they custom?

Not custom vines, no.

Technically they're tree leaves, but I thought they looked cool growing like vines like that.

Sadly all the alpha checks are (very!) expensive, otherwise the level would be a lot more green.

Quote Originally Posted by 242
    :thumb How is map's size, is it more like Special Vintage or Krellek's or C6FM?
    Mine was a C6FM, but I was too lazy to release it

Nice work Ziemanskye! Although, is it the angle of the shot or is that window sticking into the ceiling?

Bit of both - I think it's the angle of that shot, but some of the others are actually stuck into things.

Makes it look more erratic since it's meant to be underground.

And for the record - this one probably will be beta'd, since there's a lot of loose dirt/small smeshes and a lot of odd shaped brushes, so I'll want people to go BSP-hole hunting, and to complain about anywhere where movement is too awkward (I want a *little* bit of stumbling on debris)

Sadly all the alpha checks are (very!) expensive, otherwise the level would be a lot more green.
    I've had an idea in mind with trees overlooking an enclosed area - would this be hopeless?

What I'm working on:

Komag rocks. Coming from my noob perspective, this is so much easier than Dromed. Of course I haven't tried to do anything even slightly complicated yet, so maybe I should just stop now and revel in my success...

Page 16 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126313641465156 ... LastLast