TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 20 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425303540455055 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

The only advice I'd offer is to give yourself space, as it's easier to hide space than to squeeze things in when you realise you can't quite fit what you planned. I suppose that suggests building outwards as STiFU suggests.

Good points all..

I do start on the inside myself as it tends to be easier to go back and fix those un planned design changes. On the first shot of the Manor House I had actually started using Komag's tut, then leapt off to flesh out the front of the building. Bit off a bit more than I could chew aparently as I have deleted and rebuilt that front section sveral dozen times to get the BSP to work properly.

Definetly a lesson well learned..

And as promised I grabed an Interior shot of the place, have a look.

I'm happy with the look so far, as I tweak and tune it a bit here and there. I'm really just concentrating on the BSP and i'll go back and tweak the lighting a bit later on.
    Last edited by Caseus; 14th Jan 2006 at 13:51.

Nice, but those lights aren't casting shadows right - personally I'd say just make them OmniNoShadows and leave it at that, the scene looks okay with the wonky shadows so having no shadows wont hurt it much, if at all (and it'll improve performance!)

They are indeed Shadowcasting but I have been thinking that they really don't need to be, with the patrols runnign round the area it would be that last place anyone would want to be .
    The rest of the lighting (Blue Ambiant) are Omni_noshodow at various levels. Fraps is reporting 20-30 FPS averages depending on which direction you are looking. The big Gears actually move and cause a bit of a hit but its still in the very playable realm of framerate. My machine is by no means a powerhouse and performance is on par with Hammerintro1. I also did a bit of snooping on the aforementioned map and zoned it in a similar fashion. Actually even before zoning anything the whole map played quite well until I started fleshing out the large outside areas. But I am presuming that once I start scritping and adding AI the performance may drop a bit so changing those to Omni_Noshadow may be the ticket.

that shot is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectX
    that shot is beautiful
    Thanks..

I've been workin on the Exterior a bit as ProjectX had mentioned the clouds were too bright. I think I have somthing that looks pretty good. I was just wondering if you all think this is TOO bright or just about right?

here are two shots from the main gate area...

I was going for the bright moonlit night effect, just not sure if its too much..

Looks fine to me.

Random tip though - if you want to make the edges of staticmeshes glow a bit, use lights with a small radius and the light type set to AmbientVertex, and just play with the brightness and placement till it picks out the vertices you want, could a nice glow on the moon-wards edges (might even glare off if you have a system capapble of running with Bloom turned on, but since I don't I'm not sure)

The lighting seems great for me, and the skybox fits it perfectly now. One thing I'd do is search through the mesh browser. In there you can find a mesh that you apply to building corners that look like individual bricks sticking out, really adds a nice touch to the look of any masonry. There's also a wooden version for indoors.

Early map shot

Hello all,

Haven't really done any serious mapping with the unreal engine since Deus Ex and a brief stint on The Cassandra Project.

I suppose that changed when I saw the release of T3EnhancED on these forums. This is what I have so far after a few hours getting oriented.

hoping to make something a bit more grand in scale than seen in DS.

Playing with matinees, eh?

That looks really awesome, man. Keep up the good work.

Van Valentine

Van Valentine is the name of my first map I'm working on right now...

There are five sceershots on my map at my thief 3 site, please take a look and tell me what you think about them.

http://www.freewebs.com/vanvalentine/

Administrator
    The screenshots look a bit dark, but they often need to be processed before putting them on the web. Have you got some sort of theme for the mission?

Van Valentine

Aye I guess they are a bit dark, I think it is my monitor which is a little to bright. I will fix those screenshots. It's not as dark in the game as it is on those screenshots tho.

Well I've tried to make it look like it's from the age of 1500. The whole area is a huge Hotel which is haunted. There will be books and stuff that gives you some ide what actually happened, and there will be a pretty large crypt under the whole hotel.

The missions are still under construction so I will come to that later on...

The environment and atmoshpere is "very" creepy, well even I who is working on it get pretty scared sometimes. For you fellas who really like these scary maps will probobly love this one.
    Last edited by Van Valentine; 8th Feb 2006 at 12:57.

i think the walls could do with a bit more decoration, you know, support beams, old paintings, shelving, cupboards, that sort of thing.

Looks good!

Some more decoration would probably improve it - though as it's a haunted house, perhaps it's better if it looks a little desolate? *shrug* Something worth considering, perhaps - not that I'm really qualified to make that kind of judgement.

Yes

Yes there will be more decorations, but Im far from done so that's why

Well it looks cool so far, keep up the good work!

Time for another little snippet - Litton Grange front entrance.

I actually managed to zone off my outdoor area and it seems to be ok, so I can dress this area up a bit now.

Just the 4 lights? (It looks like the two torches, something in the arch, and a blue ambient between the roofs)

Ought to run fine with just those, so long as you don't decide to put loads of plants in or anything.

Nice to see people actually achieving work though Keep it up

The "loads of plants" (pants?) are on the other side of the house, the sea is behind the far wall. I know you've mentioned plants as being a performance killer for you, I wonder if they're ok as long as they're right up against a wall?

Actually Z you may be able to offer some advice here - you can see that the moon is very low in the sky and I want it to illuminate the upper half of the house wall that's directly facing it. (The boundary wall will cast a shadow on the lower half.) You did a similar thing with the morning sunlight on the front of the church in the entry map for Schism. I've tried shining spotlights on it but it doesn't look right - any advice?

I used hugely inefficient directional lights (but they did look good)

The main problem with them is that they shine through things, and can carry shadows a long way (the inside was a seperate map from the outside partially because of this - it was killing the performance to have all the inside walls at the front cast shadows so as not to see the directional)

If you're careful with them (or if you can work out the seemingly bizarre bit of math that controls the DirectionalClipHeight property) you might do better, just be careful and make sure you check the effect it's having inside the house too. (also, you might need to cut the world a little further out than the wall, like in the OM castle at the start, and put the light in there to make sure it carries the wall's shadow right)

The much cheaper alternative would likely be just to add a few more normal light sources, or add a collection of cheap AmbientVertex lights about the place to pick out highlights rather than have a "beam"

As for the plants - they mostly seem to kill performance when up against other plants, I just didn't think they were dense enough so always try to use too many to make it look beter, which lowers the frame rate quite drastically.

Cheers Z, I'll give that a shot.

Incidentally, I realised I forgot to post the re-jigged shot of the entrance hall after STiFU's advice: clicky. It all looks a bit bare of course, still a lot of set dressing to be done. I've now got the border textures running up the stairs as well.

That's a nice shot. I think you should add a piece of trim between the two wall textures (the wood and the marble) like a pillar or something in the wall. This'll ease the flow between the two textures. Also, I think you've got too much light in there, maybe lower the brightness of that blue ambient light? 2 ought to do as a good value.

Good idea, thanks. And the "blue ambient" is actually just the level light and gamma settings for the screenie, there are only the four torch lights you can (almost) see in that room. There needs to be some light on the upper level so I'll probably remove the torches against the stairs and change it around.

Page 20 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101516171819202122232425303540455055 ... LastLast