TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 26 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6111621222324252627282930313641465156 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

Judith
    Of course, IrfanView or any other image browser, or paintshop, photoshop-like software and brightness +10 or even +20

Ok, I got IrfanView now and here's the result:

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/567/progress27ve.jpg

Is it me or are those bookcases scaled down?

Nah I've got it, I reckon you've made your room too big (ceiling too high especially) and that dwarfs everything else, nice stab at a library though.

Yeah, the room turned out to be a little too big. But what the hell

There's a scaling tool in the editor.

Select all the things you want to scale, and go tools -> scale map (it even works with lights!)

It will only scale the items you've selected though.

I have a digital camera now, so I went texture-hunting for interesting brick walls today. Also: I was able to recover the levels I was working on from the crashed hard drive! I tried the freezer trick and borrowed some data recovery software from a friend, and I was able to recover (almost) everything of importance. The FMs have been saved, as have a bunch of other little projects I was working on. I haven't reinstalled the editor yet, though. I'm still working on getting my texturing and modelling skills up to par at the moment.

I've finally started playing The Bridge and I've been very impressed so far.

Good to hear!

Just working on improving my understanding of the t3d and what all the meshes and textures etc are like. My plan is to develop a city level that encompasses various playing styles, there'll essentially be a street level, sewer/underground and some rooftops - Lots of loot, and mabye even the ability to be able to change what level you're at at certain points (pretty easy to do with some stairwells/grates/ladders). Im finding it hard to detail things though, after looking at the OM's it looks like some serious planning went into the maps, as well as some really creative mesh use O_O

Quote Originally Posted by Blau
    Just working on improving my understanding of the t3d and what all the meshes and textures etc are like. My plan is to develop a city level that encompasses various playing styles, there'll essentially be a street level, sewer/underground and some rooftops - Lots of loot, and mabye even the ability to be able to change what level you're at at certain points (pretty easy to do with some stairwells/grates/ladders). Im finding it hard to detail things though, after looking at the OM's it looks like some serious planning went into the maps, as well as some really creative mesh use O_O
    To be honest blau I'd recommend that you put that onto the back burner. When learning anything it's best to start small, and the easiest kind of level to make in thief is an indoor one. Try an inn, they're the easiest, cos it's just like a house, you've got one around you for inspiration. Then move onto larger and more architecturally intriguing levels as you learn how to use the editor and what sort of stylesand colour-schemes work and which ones don't.

The last thing you should try is a city map, they're the hardest to do right, and if you do it wrong you'll just end up losing enthusiasm for it, and that would be a real shame cos we'd lose another great T3 Mapper.

EDIT: Also, the greatest way of improving the look of a level is to trim edges. Say you've got your nice square bsp block of a building, what would instantly double it's quality? Putting wooden beam meshes, or those weird stone corner meshes on every corner, instant graphical miracle! The same basically applies to any surface that has an edge, trim it. Once you learn the rules to level design you'l find that a lot of the OM mesh placement made sense, and barely any planning went into it (hell, IMO the only planning you should have to do is gameplay planning)

I see, thanks very much for the adivce The city map was really just an excuse to give me a reason to be looking at everything at once, instead of focusing on portions so I was at least familiar of how to do more than one thing to avoid becoming a one-trick-inn-making pony

But in all seriousness I just like to work with something very hard and scale back till I find something managable to work from.

Well, just as a tip, since I've been failing for some time to get them to work, Rooftops are way hard.

Could just be I don't know what I'm doing of course

Irrational Games
    Rujuro is still here (very occasionally), although I am now employed by Irrational and working on Bioshock, so my spare time is being devoted to that. I'd say Mount Vega is somewhere around the 60% finished mark. Unfortunately it will remain that way for quite a while to come. The entire level is blocked and playable beginning to end, several objectives are in place, main AI patrols and events are in, but there's still lots of polish, readables, conversations, etc. that I have planned.

Long story short, by the time I finish it, if anyone is still playing T3 missions they should all have a computer that can run it very smoothly.

response to 242, BTW.

Congrats rujuro, I had no idea - best of luck at Irrational.

You son of a ....

No, lets be polite, I'm only jealous.

Congratulations on the job, but remember, we know who you are if it sucks

Quote Originally Posted by rujuro
    Rujuro is still here (very occasionally), although I am now employed by Irrational and working on Bioshock
    I am so jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by rujuro
    Rujuro is still here (very occasionally), although I am now employed by Irrational and working on Bioshock, so my spare time is being devoted to that. I'd say Mount Vega is somewhere around the 60% finished mark. Unfortunately it will remain that way for quite a while to come. The entire level is blocked and playable beginning to end, several objectives are in place, main AI patrols and events are in, but there's still lots of polish, readables, conversations, etc. that I have planned.

Long story short, by the time I finish it, if anyone is still playing T3 missions they should all have a computer that can run it very smoothly.

response to 242, BTW.
    sweetness, congrats! That is a fine game you're working on, are there any officially released screens with stuff you've done, or is all your stuff hush-hush because it's too good?

That's great Rujuro! Congratulations!

Iíve started work on my first attempt at a t3 mission.
    Not sure on a name yet, nor have I settled on a definite plot but the mission is set in the sewers/caves. It starts with a short upper sewer patrolled by city watch trying to contain a rat infestation. Then you drop down into the lower derelict sewers that are patrolled by rat beasts in order to make your way to some pagan inhabited caves.

a couple of screenies of the upper sewers can be found here http://www.putfile.com/aristed-t3ed

P.S Congratulations on the job rujuro, i find it impressive that you been employed on such a fantastic looking game!

not bad at all aristed! It's kinda open, in that there are a few large surfaces without anything added to them for detail, but there's excellent use of trimming there. Keep up the good work!

I like, I like.

Having open spaces isn't entirely a bad thing - the less clutter there is, the bigger the level can feel, which is a good thing when many Thief 3 levels feel quite cramped.

Efficency in detail is a wonderful thing Makes a level look good without it feeling like it was actually the focus over gameplay.

No, I am not working on anything so far *big grin*

You can say now that I have a new video card I can play and edit more or less confortable.

Wow,Martin! Looking good

That looks great!

I've put up a new batch of Upcoming pics at Shadowdark.

Anyone let me know if I've missed something or if you'd like me to add yours there, or if you'd like to manage your own page so you can add/change pics as you want.
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Hey Komag, I am sorry but you can set my "The Van Eden Estate" to dead as well... There were far too many bugs and I planed it totally wrong, because I didn't know the editor that good when I started to work on it. (I am a learning-by-doing-guy and that was my mistake) Perhaps I will once try to make another map, but I am actually pretty pissed of Flesh and t3ed. So sry guys, my FM wount be published...

Page 26 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6111621222324252627282930313641465156 ... LastLast