TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 31 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6111621262728293031323334353641465156 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

4096 actually works?
    That's surprising - I thought ascottk tested it and nothing over 1024 worked. But yes, it will slow performance, increase load times and will be a right hog if you have normal maps under it - without them, well, probably wont slow things down too much as long as everybody who plays it's graphics card is okay with that size.

I know mine isn't, but it's only a GeforceFX5500 so it's kind of weedy anyway.

"Ideally" you should be probably be working with nothing over 512, but they can be squished down onto things to make them sharper too.

Judith
    Looks like this size works, but it causes serious lag while importing matlib, and converting it to UI textures It might be the graphics card (GF 7900 GT 256 mb)

2048 works without slowdowns for now, and all smaller textures apply very well. I'll try to limit texture size up to 1024 and make separate textures for dirt paths.

Cool.
    And it is a very good looking piece of work - I should probably have already said that.

Just try not to aim too high, since we have enough problems with people not even able to run all the FMs that use higher vertexpools. One of the last things we need is to alienate even more people.

As for 1:1, well it has it's uses making everything over-textured makes thing crisper and neater, but it also makes focus and balance harder. High res grass is nice if the grass is in some way important as a feature, but a general estate around a house doesn't need 4:1 because it just needs to be green grass-ish ground outside: though in that situation you might want more detail on the interior wallpapers because it's more of a feature/focus of the level.

And of course, lower res textures are a lot quicker to make

I need to learn to use Gimp. I'm using an old clunky program now, and I run the jpeg I create through Gimp to convert it to dds. I'm doing things the hard way because I'm familiar with the older tools. Guess I need to get into the 21st century.

BTW, I have a Ge Force Go 6400, so I guess I'm right between you both graphic-wise. I'd love to own a 7900 (or two), but I'm waiting until DirectX 10 and Vista come out before I do any upgrades.

Filter Forge is free while it's in beta and is very much worth looking into.

Judith
    My first attempt to put a texture on plane (mesh) and then start building (nothing impressive, I know).

Is there an option to display applied material in perspective viewport in 3dsmax? All I see is this white surface and i have to render the whole scene everytime I want to see whether the shape is right.

In the Material Editor, select your texture, go to Maps and click on Ion Shader and click the Show Map in Viewport button (the cube with blue and white squares).

Judith
    Strange, but it doesn't work, the mesh goes black, nothing else happens.

Try clicking the button next to the Show Map in Viewport button. I think it's called Show End Result.

Judith
    I think I'm somewhat getting the idea...

Those are awesome!

Yeah very good looking. You should redo the uv-mapping in some of the grass-parts though. The texture is stretched...

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Is there an option to display applied material in perspective viewport in 3dsmax? All I see is this white surface and i have to render the whole scene everytime I want to see whether the shape is right.
    There is some neat article hanscz and I wrote in the wiki...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleshworks
    Viewport issues and possible solutions
    (not fully written out and illustrated, yet - HansCz) You will probably experience that the materials don't show up in the viewport, although you assigned your material or Multi/Sub-Object to your mesh. This can be due to two reasons:
    The first thing is that the ion shader does only work with Editable Meshes and not with Editable Polys. You may work with a polyobject, because it comes with some handy features like weld and so on, but if you want to see the Ionshader textures you will have to convert to Editable Mesh, by right-clicking the modifiers stack and choosing the appropriate entry.
    The second thing is that you will have to click Show map in viewport(the blue-white cube in the material browser)for every ion shader map you apply. You can check whether you did it right by opening the Material/Map Navigator(on the right side of the lower scrollbar). All those parallelograms should be red. If they arent, click them. Then click the Show map in viewport-button. It wont work if you do this for the parent texture, so always remember to click the texture with the parallelogram before and the "Ion Shader" tag behind it. Your textures should now be visible in the viewport. Note that in this mode, polys will not highlight if you click them, without the wireframe enabled. You can enable it easily by pressing F3 or F4.
    Note from STiFU: hey... just wanted to tell you about a useful thing concerning max, i just heard about. The one thing is that you can press #%o#% in order to deactivate "Adaptive degradation", which means that the wireframe does not disappear anymore, when you move the perspective viewport. Its actually a toggle. The other thing is that you should bind the "backface cull toggle" to a key, because with this activated you can see the backface of an object too which is sometimes very useful.
    Last edited by STiFU; 20th Nov 2006 at 09:39.

Judith
    Thanks for help, STiFU, but it didn't work either I've found another way to do this, maybe this will be useful to some T3eders:

1. Select your material and apply to your editable mesh (you were right, it cannot be the editable poly)

2. Scroll down the menu in material editor, find the Viewport manager tab, select Metal bump, click "enabled".

3. In viewport shader - metal bump, choose your diffuse texture 1 (e.g. something_D.dds)

Oh, and I've noticed something funny, you may actually leave the dds images uncompressed, if you apply them to your mesh - it won't show in the texture UI in T3ed, and the mesh will have default texture, but only under the editor. When you launch the game, everything is absolutely fine Such uncompressed textures are, unfortunately, huge, so such metod should not be recommended...
    Last edited by Judith; 20th Nov 2006 at 11:01.

Hmn awkward. I don't even know that viewport manager. Are you running an extended version of 3ds 5.1 perhaps?

(btw you are using a nice xp-theme. I use the same )

Judith
    Quote Originally Posted by STiFU View Post
    Hmn awkward. I don't even know that viewport manager. Are you running an extended version of 3ds 5.1 perhaps?

(btw you are using a nice xp-theme. I use the same )

Hm, that's strange, indeed. I got 3dsmax 5.1 + Service pack 1 update, I didn't try to customize it with any other plugins, for a compatibility reasons.

Ok,

Forget all the previous pics, with proper tools you can do something like than in TDS:

Texture proportions are, unfortunately, 1:1 and DXT1 really sucks, but I think it looks nice anyway. Actually these are 2 SM's linked together to check whether the transition is more or less seamless.

Oh, and for a daylight comparison:

(btw. I love that theme, recently added Rainlendar and it looks great )
    Last edited by Judith; 21st Nov 2006 at 08:19.

Excellent work, Judith!

Judith
    If only there was a way to assign separate sound properties to every area of texture (earth, grass, rock, instead earth only to the whole thing), I'd be on cloud nine...

Can you set a trasparent additive brush or plane on the areas that are grass and put a grass texture on in? That way you get the right sounds, but can't see the brush.

Hate to be so picky about what is good work, but you shouldn't be using DXT1 - it can cause problems on older nvidia cards. It'll probably be okay, but it's just another one of those things.

Other than that, it looks fine with the 1:1 to me. Slightly blurry perhaps, but nothing I can't deal happily with.

Judith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye View Post
    Hate to be so picky about what is good work, but you shouldn't be using DXT1 - it can cause problems on older nvidia cards. It'll probably be okay, but it's just another one of those things.

Other than that, it looks fine with the 1:1 to me. Slightly blurry perhaps, but nothing I can't deal happily with.
    Ok, so which compression method you propose? I used DXT1 only because it was written in one tutorial to do so
    Last edited by Judith; 21st Nov 2006 at 08:18.

Uhhh very nice work indeed. Hope to see a FM featuring that big openair stuff you created there... Concerning the material sound: If I remember it correctly there should be an area in the ionshader in which you can set the material sounds. But it's already been a long time since I looked into that, so I might be wrong here... You could also seperate the static mesh by materials and then move their origin to the worldorigin in 3ds, so that they all have the same origin. This way u can add them easily and place the desired sounds on the seperate smeshes.
    Last edited by STiFU; 21st Nov 2006 at 10:23.

DXT3 is the usual.
    As I was hinting at though, it's probably not so much of an issue. I think it was mostly an alpha related problem anyway, and may have been more Unreal than Flesh anyway, but I'm not sure - I tend to use 3 just by habit.

The actual compression is pretty much the same, the formats just handle alphas differently.

Good stuff, it's good to see people still pushing the editor.

How would one go about making a level out of static meshes? Would it be optimal? I can't see why not, but it would be tricky to get the verts and uvs to all line up (you would have to break everything up in to chunks in order to use occlusion and so on).

Think I read somewhere that Oblivian made all their dungeons with tileable pieces of corridor and so on ...

Judith
    Quote Originally Posted by str8g8 View Post
    Think I read somewhere that Oblivion made all their dungeons with tileable pieces of corridor and so on ...
    Yup, the same goes for Morrowind. I tried to do something in TES editor the other day, actually making interior locations is more like putting pre-made blocks (SM's) together...

Making proper texture transition isn't that hard, due to the miracle of clone brush, you can do amazing things with that

I believe breaking everything in chunks would be more problematic, while everthing may be fine under 3dsmax, but putting it all together in T3ed doesn't have to be. Actually, a tutorial about proper pivot placement in such cases would be very helpful..

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    I believe breaking everything in chunks would be more problematic, while everthing may be fine under 3dsmax, but putting it all together in T3ed doesn't have to be. Actually, a tutorial about proper pivot placement in such cases would be very helpful..
    As I said you basically just have to move the pivots of your objects to the world origin in 3ds max. This way all parts' pivots of your complete static have the same location. You should really read the static meshes tutorial on fleshmeshes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleshworks
    Static Mesh Pivot and Hardpoints

- added by STiFU

The pivot is the point on which a point- or a hingedattachment will take effect later. For example, If you have made a door you will want to move the pivot to someplace on the hinge. You can do this by clicking on Hierarchy (the third button in the same panel where you can click on create and modify), Pivot, Affect Pivot Only. Now you can move the Pivot to your desired location using the normal Select and Move tool. Note that turning your object has indeed an effect in 3ds, but hasn't in the editor. If you want to have that object rolley by a certain amount of degress in T3ED, you will have to rotate its pivot.

Hardpoints are places where other objects can be fixed to via Rigidattachments. For example: You want to add a doorknob to your door. You can make a Hardpoint by adding a dummy. Do this by clicking on
    create
    helpers (5th button)
    dummy

Just create the object like a normal cube and name it something like hp_[your desired name]. In this case we would call it "hp_knob" or something like that. It does not matter how big your dummy is, because it is again its pivot that matters. Hint: If you add a lightproperty to your smesh, the light will automatically be attached to the hardpoint called "hp_lighttarget", which you can just create using the descirbed method.
    Last edited by STiFU; 22nd Nov 2006 at 15:12.

Page 31 of 60 FirstFirst ... 6111621262728293031323334353641465156 ... LastLast