TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38131823283338394041424344454647485358 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1485

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

Well, that was somewhat hard lesson about UV unwrap, but the result looks fine, more or less. The texture seems a bit blocky, but I have to worry about the UV placement in UT3, so I used some detail normalmaping to mask it when player gets closer to the mesh. I don't have to worry about it in T3, so I'll scale these up, so the texture looks less blurry.

Moderator and Priest
    The gate is done! I learned a few valuable lessons while making this, mainly don't do the overly fancy crap until you've got the basic shape down first. What I did was start out with something small, make it all fancy crap like, start something else, make it all fancy crap like, repeat. Later on, when I started welding the model together, I had to contend with all the extra edges and vertices on my huge collection of fancy crap, and it was a pain in the ass to put together.

So now, pictures and files time!

Drama Shot

Close up of the curves. The .obj file is regular polygons, since that particular format doesn't export subD surfaces. I think the Max equivalent is the turbosmooth modifier.

And the gate itself, for you brave souls who want to attempt getting this into a game.

Any critiques are welcome. Be as harsh as you want. I won't learn anything if no one badmouths my stuff.

Awesome! And now, onto less pleasant things... How are your doing with the UVs? Actually, just auto-flattening those took a few seconds on my PC

Moderator and Priest
    Maybe later. Right now I'm dead set on learning to model better. Specifically, I want to learn how to do surface details. Something like carved leaves on a wooden door, inlaid curves, bas reliefs. The complicated stuff I've always wanted to do, but didn't feel like I had the necessary skills to pull it off until here recently.

Course I ain't giving up on the game stuff in the meantime. I'm doing one of those doors I posted in the shots above. It's fairly simple, so it'll be textured, normalmapped, and ready for everyone to play with by the time I'm done.

Moderator and Priest
    Door

Depending on how deeply detailed I want to go, I'm either almost done or just starting. Right now, there isn't much left to do on the basic shape. If I wanted to finish it up, I could have the low poly model textured and normalmapped in a day or two.

...well, maybe.

Basic shape looks cool, you can either sculpt a wood texture in Zbrush/Mudbox and render it later in Modo/Max or just paint the mesh wit some basic wood texture and add some dark lines and highlights. Well, I'm preaching the choir Anyway, I've been trying to incorporate the high->low poly workflow in my mesh building, so I'm adding high level of detail to my railing now:

Moderator and Priest
    That is nice. You've actually got a great scarred metal look going on. If it were me, I'd have just throw a few bumps and dents on there and patted myself on the back.

That's exactly what I was going to do, but I couldn't resist to see how it will all end when I'd take all the baked textures to Gimp and play with them for a while:

That's the UE 3.0 model, I thought that 1000 tris would be enough. This technique is absolutely awsome
    Last edited by Judith; 26th Feb 2009 at 06:16. Reason: Typos

Moderator and Priest
    Man...you don't even have any seams on the normalmap. Nice stuff. The only downside I see is the polycount. A thousand tris is kinda high for that model.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Man...you don't even have any seams on the normalmap. Nice stuff.
    I used the "usual" trick - dividing the UV faces for horizontal bars so the seam actually goes in the middle of the bottom, or at least between the bottom and one of the sides

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    The only downside I see is the polycount. A thousand tris is kinda high for that model.
    I'm still working on a proper approach here. I guess using the optimize method for MP mesh wasn't the best solution. I could just prepare the target low poly mesh which would be used for projection mapping later. Well, live and learn.

Meanwhile, the revisited version, with and without the rust. I think I'll exchange the wood for something more worn out, at least for the second part, it looks too new in comparison.

[Edit] Final version:

Last edited by Judith; 1st Mar 2009 at 05:18.

jtr7
    Hmm. Maybe ease up on the bumps, because it looks like it's made of chocolate confection, or wrapped heavily in crinkled wax paper.

Moderator and Priest
    Meanwhile, the revisited version, with and without the rust. I think I'll exchange the wood for something more worn out, at least for the second part, it looks too new in comparison.
    Nah. Just go with a darker grey color and nix the specular. I think that'd look better. Also grime.

On another note, because I'm getting jealous of your mudbox skills, and everyone on the polycount boards told me I need learn how to sculpt to do half the crap I want to do, I finally fired up Mudbox myself.

After about an hour, I'm finding it to be quite a nice little (800 dollar oh god) program. It's not quite as powerful as Zbrush, but the UI doesn't make me want to puke in my mouth and stab a pen in my groin everytime I fire it up. I'd say that's a good trade off, all things considered.

Also this:

My greatest achievement.

jtr7
    Oooo. A chocolate Easter Heifer. Am I psychic, or what? I always bite off the tail and horns first, then the legs, then I start on the snout.

Moderator and Priest
    I treat my cows like I treat the ladies, nibble on the legs and work my way up from there.

edit: why don't we have an eyebrow emote here, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Hmm. Maybe ease up on the bumps, because it looks like it's made of chocolate confection, or wrapped heavily in crinkled wax paper.
    Nah, it's not the bumps, it's as Ren said, the specular needs to be more matte.

I love this program, 10 minutes and hi-res pillar concept is basically ready:

Moderator and Priest
    I'm glad you're having a good time with it. I tried doing some hard surface stuff, and it came out a huge lumpy mess of not good at all.

For now, at least for architectural objects, I'm sticking with Modo to do my base geometry, and Mudbox to do my weathering and rounding.

I'm trying to do the same, preparing the hi-res base in Max so I have better control over the dimensions and making it subdivide properly in Mudbox.

Edit:

I think this time I overdid with the low-poly version. But hey, when you get 86 polys then who's complaining? Better lightning should do the trick.

Last edited by Judith; 1st Mar 2009 at 05:20. Reason: Changed the screenshot

Moderator and Priest
    I make more stuff for door enhancement purposes.

This door is now enhanced. Now to do the rest...OHGAWD.

Edit:

From 1500 to 50. This isn't gonna be the final texture, I just wanted something busy to see what it all looked like. The final won't be so derelect, probably more along the lines of neglected at worst...and alot more brown. I'm nowhere near finished yet. By the time I'm done, I want to have carved flowers and other details on there, painted and colorful on top of the painted brown backdrop.

Lastly, I'm gonna make the doorknob and faceplate as a standalone model. It didn't turn out so great when I tried rendering it alongside everything else on the normal. Plus it'd be better to have a collection of knobs and plates you can mix and match on doors anyway.

Edit 2: Wow, I made a texture that actually ended up about how I wanted it to. This is it, a wood door, a bit worn but not in an advance state of disrepair, painted with thick brown paint so you could see the individual brush strokes, and a nice specular strong enough to reflect any light source unevenly.

And don't worry. I won't be boring you all with constant updates on every little thing I do :P
    Last edited by Renzatic; 7th Mar 2009 at 16:58.

Looks great, though I'd like to see some brand new dark wood version

I've been trying to design/recreate a kind of a cafeteria/reception desk but the overall result is much too "futuristic" and doesn't have any unique mood or doesn't belong to any particular style. I was trying to save it, fiddling with textures in Gimp but it only helped a little. This one goes to wastebasket.

Moderator and Priest
    I dunno. As a desk it isn't too grand, but you've still got some nice textured pipes or grating going on there. I think it'd work better if you converted it into something more industrial.

I like this one much more

Those marble tabletops could look more sturdier, I guess. Thicker, with more bevel applied. Anyway, with a few adjustments it should do as a low-poly base. Now to some decorations
    Last edited by Judith; 8th Mar 2009 at 10:05.

Moderator and Priest
    That does look a bit better. I still think the normal on your old desk is too good just to throw away. Try and work it in with the new one. You might end up with something pretty cool.

Also, is 540 tris too much for a door? I can't normalmap edges for shit, always end up with seams and other funky artifacts. So instead of constantly working with my cages and failing considerably, I cheated a bit and beveled my edges, jacked my smoothing angle up obscenely high, added some loop constraints in to keep from getting smoothing errors, and photoshopped out the edge curves on the normal. The good news is I've not got a low poly mesh that matches the high poly almost perfectly. Texturing and normapping are done and all. The bad news is it's gone up from 100 tris to the aforementioned 450.

If that's decent, I can start on my next mesh. If not...well...I guess I'll have to screw around with it yet again.

Edit: Nevermind. I knocked down my smoothing angle a bit, cut away some of the constraints, and ended up with the happy medium: a nice door with smooth unfaceted curves at 250 tris. Ladies and gentlemen. This door is DONE! I beter celebrate now, because I doubt my goofy cheat will work when I start getting into complicated objects.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 8th Mar 2009 at 16:38.

Nicely done, 250 tris seem to be okay. This desk has 380. I have problems with subdividing this thing, edge connect is not enough for some surfaces, as they're connected at strange angles. I can't get even quads here and there. Either I'll detach some polys, perform edge connect and then attach them back or find some more simple solution.

Moderator and Priest
    Show me a screenshot of your topology. I might be able to recommend something.

Actually, are you getting tris from your edge bevels? If so, you only have to worry about those when you're doing your low poly. For a mesh you intend on subdividing inside of Mudbox, you just have to add loop constraints, which only ever add quads to your mesh, or turn off smooth for your first couple of subdivision levels.

Page 43 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38131823283338394041424344454647485358 ... LastLast