TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 49141924293439404142434445464748495459 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1485

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

This is the initial setup

This is how it looks like after adding some horizontal edges, everything looks fine:

And this is what i get when I want to add some vertical edges:

Maybe I shouldn't attach it all as one poly and subdivide those parts independently.

Moderator and Priest
    I can't tell much from that angle. On a guess, I'd say you accidently created some ngons when you were welding and cutting all your bits and pieces together, and it's trying to reconnect them as tris and quads when you subdivide up.

Like right here:

I don't see any connecting edges leading up to that. From the shot, it looks like you've got a poly with 7 or 8 vertices on it. If that's what it is, you might have a whole bunch of those lying around.

Edit: Do you ever get the impression that we're the only ones hanging around here nowadays?
    Last edited by Renzatic; 8th Mar 2009 at 17:37.

Now I know what's the problem, it's the difference between the edge density on bigger and smaller surfaces. I have to detach a few problematic polygons, collapse some vertices and connect edges again.

I'm watching intently

This is perhaps criminally OT, but you guys aren't Shockers by any chance?
    Wouldn't want to have a crack at a Von Braun or a Rickenbacker model for the purposes of cutscene recreation?
    (I know it's potentially daunting or boring. I have a basic Von Braun model a friend did for me, but it needs detailing. You get to avoid game engine detail constraints! That's all the spin I've got I'm afraid)

Moderator and Priest
    You got a couple of pictures of the ships? It's probably beyond me at the moment, but I can at least check it out to see if I'm up to the task.

This is a good side projection of the Von Braun doctorfrog did a while ago (based on a schematic that's floating around). The model I've got is a touched up extrusion of that, effectively. It's mostly in silhouette in the cutscenes, but there is a bit of a grandiose (though dark) look at it at one point.
    This is a loading screen glimpse of the Rickenbacker. It does a big rotation at one point so in some ways it's easier to figure what it looks like.
    The fact that it's recreating something already existing is pretty tricky and off putting. That's usually the biggest stumbling block.

Moderator and Priest
    I gave it a quick go.

Based on this little test run, I'd say I might be able to do it. I'm not too confident about it right now, but if I were to goof around with it while I do other things, I might eventually give you something you'd all be happy with.

What would really help me would be a front on schematic and a beauty shot. The orthographic side view can only give me so much information about the shape of the ship. For the rest, I have to go with what I think might look cool, and build it on the fly. It's pretty cool doing that, but it leads to jankity, almost unusable models.

Some more screens from my 'Sword' influenced mission. Textures by Judith, Renzatic, Flux & John P

Moderator and Priest
    All you people and all your awesome stuff. Between your shots and all the stuff I'm seeing down in the Thief forums below, it makes me want to install the series again and see what I'm missing out on.

Great job.

Clearinghouse
    Great, ShadowSneaker
    I added news.
    Keep up the good work!

Good work, Shadow

Another try with the desk, no rendering to texture this time, just painting.

[Edit]

And one quick for today, an old wall panel (forget the floor, I didn't have anything suitable for that moment )

Last edited by Judith; 10th Mar 2009 at 19:00.

Thanks Judith.
    I made a toadstool in Max, it's 320 polys even with the optimize modifier; is that excessive?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSneaker View Post
    Thanks Judith.
    I made a toadstool in Max, it's 320 polys even with the optimize modifier; is that excessive?
    It is. It might be used quite a lot times in natural scenery, so something like 50-80 tris would be better.

[Edit]

Phew, it took me 2 hours to get a right texture for this one. My first giant skylight Actually I'll try to give some subtle alpha mask for the glass next time.

Last edited by Judith; 12th Mar 2009 at 07:39.

I'd really love to see all that Déco stuff in a TDS FM. Are you going to release it even if you use it elsewhere?

I'm don't know yet. First, I'm going to finish that map then we'll see. I try to keep the polycount low so the performance shouldn't be a problem, but the scale will be. GoW characters are 160 uu tall and I'm taking this into account. Garrett is 96 uu tall, so just exporting those to .tim format won't do, everything will be too big.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post

[Edit]

Phew, it took me 2 hours to get a right texture for this one. My first giant skylight Actually I'll try to give some subtle alpha mask for the glass next time.

Wow. That's cool. Did you do the normal in Mudbox or GIMP? It has a nice molded effect that makes me think it isn't rendered just from a texture.

And speaking of normalmaps, I want to find the person that told me doing a renderbump was as easy as "taking the high poly and rendering it on the low olol WOOO" and straight up drill 'em right in the face.

I just now finished the doorframe. Got it AOed, normaled, diffused, and spec'd. Doing the normalmap and making sure it looked right took me 3...damn...shit...hell...days, with like 3 UVs and two lowpolys done and discarded in the process.

The good news is it finally looks about equal to the highpoly source. The bad news is, to get it all looking right, I had to add geometry to the lowpoly and play with smoothing quite a bit. My original goal was to get the door out under 1400 tris, now it looks like it's gonna be closer to 2200 or so. That might be a little too on the heavy side.

once I'm done with the doorknob, I'll post all the files for everyone to get.

Edit: DAMN THING IS DONE! I'm talking about completely done this time. Well...just about. Got some tweaking to do. Those are three separate models, the door, the plate (which still needs a doorknob), and the frame. The reason for that is so when I get a good collection going on, they can be mixed and matched. Or if you all feel like doing a new one yourself, you can use the low polys as a base for a whole new set.

Expect it all later tonight or early tomorrow. I'm still kinda debating on changing the faceplate texture. I wanted a painted metal look, with the paint cracked and dried with old age. Instead I got some plaster looking thing.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 12th Mar 2009 at 19:23.

The door looks absolutely awesome

Wow. That's cool. Did you do the normal in Mudbox or GIMP? It has a nice molded effect that makes me think it isn't rendered just from a texture.
    After sculpting it in Mudbox I rendered the AO and diffuse, fiddled with those in Gimp, and made the normal based on the result. This molded effect is actually a result of sitting over it for a few hours, adjusting transparency, layer modes and those bloody levels And it was based on something like this:

Btw that wooden frame wasn't too fancy so I painted it in Mudbox with curves (a circle, basically).

Last edited by Judith; 12th Mar 2009 at 19:51.

Moderator and Priest
    You're probably getting to the point where you could teach me a thing or two about sculpting. I've been meaning to do some fancy stuff in Zbrush, but I just haven't been able to get around to it yet.

Edit: Curvy Door. I'm gonna try and get it into Doom 3 myself, but in the meantime, if anyone wants to try and get it into T3, they're more than welcome.

Also, I wanna see if my smoothing causes is okay and my normals look good in a game engine. If you all find anything weird about the models at all, tell me.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 13th Mar 2009 at 00:13.

Looks nice but I guess you'll see what's the problem here - texel density. The material on the door looks a bit washed out and blurry in comparison to what you have on the frame. You could texture both meshes with one 2048 material. Actually, both sides of the door look the same, so you could use the same UV space for both.

Moderator and Priest
    Wow. Ugh. That's the second time I've had a model looking perfect in Modo and Crazybump, then ends up looking like crap ingame. You can barely even see any detail on the thing, both the normal and diffuse are flat and washed out. I was expecting it to look more along the lines of this.

I'll try it out in D3, fix up the textures, and figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Edit: First model I've ever gotten ingame. It was so easy, I almost feel like an idiot for struggling over it all this time.

So now that I've got a page filled up with my stupid door, I think it's time to move on to other projects.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 14th Mar 2009 at 00:16.

Nice work, guys! Congrats!

I made a small break from making every mesh I need, for I found some of those in the .upk packages, there are tons of really nice architectural stuff that will speed up the building process, fortunately

Still not the final version of that room but a bit more detailed than before

Looks cool Judith. Is it for Gears Of War?

Moderator and Priest
    Holy damn, Judith. That is nice. Great job.

jtr7
    Again, I feel compelled to tell you guys how happy I am to witness you all working on these wonderful and respectable things.

Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ... 49141924293439404142434445464748495459 ... LastLast