TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101520253035404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1485

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

Clearinghouse
    Looks awesome, Judith

Thanks, all. Yes, this is Gears map. If only there was a way to export those meshes to Thief..

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Thanks, all. Yes, this is Gears map. If only there was a way to export those meshes to Thief..
    Yes, there is...Be careful with the copyright stuff and everything though.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    ...: Curvy Door. ...if anyone wants to try and get it into T3, they're more than welcome...
    It's not possible to use it in TDS strait as it is now, sorry. It's in a wrong format. And I have no idea how to convert or adopt it... Very pity...

It has to be exported to .tim in max 5 and you'd have to create a material for it.

Judith, 3D-MAX for me is still a dark-dark-dark forest...

Sorry to hear that, but I don't have it installed, nor T3ed.

Moderator and Priest
    I figured out I have Max 5 recently, so I could do it. Problem is, it's a trial and I don't have a crack. If I'm gonna import a bunch of meshes into T3, I'll have to wait til I have a nice collection to make the best of the time I have with it.

Course if you have Max 5, you could do it yourself quite easily. I vaguely remember glancing through a tutorial on the Fleshworks Wiki back in the day, and it didn't seem to be too terribly difficult a thing to do.

Hey all!

Been away for quite some time. Been rather busy. But thought I'd drop in and show what I've been up to. Haven't done much ThiefIII lately; but, my starting project is still going and is now being updated at 3Dbuzz.com. So, here's the link to my current wip:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=175366

and a teaser:

Moderator and Priest
    I think I remember seeing your enterprise stuff a long time ago. Still, it's looking great so far.

As for myself here, since I start getting into really curvy objects, I've found that bog standard box modeling isn't working out so well anymore. To help me out, I've found a few tutorials on retopology, curve patches, and all other neat things that'll help me out tons once I learn how to use them properly.

And anyway, everyone who starts out in 3D modeling eventually does a car. I figured it was my turn. So far, I've got the wheels done.

I'm sewing a fencing jacket at the moment, all high-poly 3D and lots of really cool fabric textures. Photos, anyone?

New FM in the works, The Swordsman? Besides, who convinced you to do some polygonal painting/sculpting

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Photos, anyone?
    Yes plz.

You know, we've got the T1 & 2 edders all playing with Anim8tor, and we're all goofing around with Max and stuff. I think we should consider harassing the powers that be for a high end 3D editing forum.

What do you all say? I think TTLG could use with another 10 subforums at least. One more can't hurt!

Ok, getting back to modelling.

A planter

A table

Both pieces of furniture are based on real counterparts, dating back to 1930s.

Moderator and Priest
    Damn. Here everyone is, all practicing and getting better, and I'm being left in the dust because I haven't had time to touch an editor in the last couple of weeks.

Great job Judith.

Thanks man. I'd like to fix the texture on that table, so it looks less dull and maybe a bit more worn out.

Oh, and here goes another praise of UE 3.0 material editor. I've been fiddling with it a few days ago, as I wanted to incorporate some textures made by Brenda, and I found something really neat, a simple way to avoid repetition in your tiling textures on bsp surfaces.

This tool allows you to perform simple math operations on images, so adding, subtracting, multiplying, power and such is possible, while using 1 to 4 vector constant values, which stands for anything from a greyscale value to RGBA colour definition. You can also perform these operations on texture samples. So you can basically adjust the hue, saturation, brightness and contrast of your material on the fly. And you can mix texture samples with each other, and change their tiling or offset.

So you can make your material add texture sample with some tiling dirt map and then "mix" it with the diffuse texture, using functions like Add or Multiply. A really cool thing here is, that the UV/tiling values for each texture are stored independently. So you can have a 1024 diffuse and normal. Then you can have a 1024 dirt map with tiling set to 0.25 (the smaller value the bigger texture size) and you'll have it resized to 4096 px. So, on a wall which is 4096 x 4096 big you'll see four tiles of your diffuse and normal textures covered with one unique dirt map. But that was the theory, I guess that the dirtmaps will be much larger, usually. This one below has its tiling set to something like 0.05.

And a result in the game:

Believe it or not, but this carpet has a unique dirt surface all across this hallway

I've seen quite a lot of UT3 and Gears maps already and I don't know why people aren't using this technique for their textures. Heh, even devs use this feature occasionally. This is one of the best methods to get rid of "that tiling feeling", especially when looking at your own map, where you know how every nook and cranny has been made. It's really pleasant thing, when your brain accepts a "surface" you made as a surface, without analyzing where the seams are and what's wrong with this material

On the other hand, high tiling values are used extensively to make detail normalmaps. You know, let's say you see a wall, and when you approach it/stick your nose into it, you see another layer of details, covering the blurry material. Something known from the first Unreal and Voodoo cards, actually, but never done with multiple normalmaps
    Last edited by Judith; 16th Apr 2009 at 08:09.

The technique you describe is widely used in next gen shaders and materials. I tend to call these dirt layers grunge maps, and you can get pretty good results with small maps.

Another side effect is you can use less individual textures overall, ie you can create a wall texture, and a grunge map, and from different combinations create a clean wall, a dirty wall, a slightly dirty wall etc etc. This is all good for memory.

The reason it's not used all the time though is expense (in terms of framerate). You are effectively adding another pass to the shader. It's not prohibitively expensive, but particularly on consoles every expense has to be justified.

Ok, first experiments with emissive shader. Nothing really spectacular though, a simple chandelier:

Clearinghouse
    Looks good, Judith.

Looks like it's becoming what it's supposed to be.

Very interesting mood, ShadowSneaker.

It still baffles me that 'mysterious programmer' managed to write a renderer in 2002 that still looks very next-gen today.

Clearinghouse
    Looks great! SS, this from The Sword mission?

Thanks, guys. Yeah it's the Sword influenced mission.
    I've never played a next-gen game, Flux, but I suppose the photo-realistic textures help.

Some new stuff I did in the meantime:

And the first attempt to find some better mood for a corridor:

Clearinghouse
    Coooool.

Page 45 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101520253035404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast