TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38131823283338434445464748495051525358 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1485

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

No I mean the light type you choose in the property window - AmbientVertex lights are somewhat less demanding when it comes to processing power, but they can look weird sometimes. For starters, they do not use normalmaps on a surface they're cast on, they just make it disappear.

Talking about lights already and with no mod in sight: Krellek's Labyrinth had a hall with lots of shadow casting lights in it and although it was quite a drop, it wasn't unbearable. Don't know, though, if they were spotlights according to Tiens's discovery that they're lesser performance eaters.

@Massimiliano: Check the Quirks etc. and Game crashes... threads to find out how to detect your property storage count. If you're close to 60,000 with both used and used-but-freed slots it might get a bit messy.

jtr7
    Quote Originally Posted by Fieldmedic View Post
    That make me feel like most of the fanmissions makers are using 4-5 years old stuff...If you have a room/area that motivates a lot of lightning or other tough rendering, I don't find it wrong by the designer to add the lights. Respect towards people with slower machines, yes, but a computer that is older than 2-3 years is a old machine...
    My late 2006 computer specs are well beyond the recommended requirements for TDS...and TDS plays like poo. Any FM that pushes the processors beyond TDS will not be very playable. People like me are pretty much left out of participating in a smooth T3/T3 FM experience. No telling when the funds will become available for a new system.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Fieldmedic View Post
    Nonono...they are not meaning how many objects that Garrett can carry, they are referring to that the editor stores properties slots and have a certain amount of slots to use up. Even if you add meshes and delete them, you have used slots...so I believe that you could mess up a mission just by adding and deleting lots of stuff... One thing to bear in mind is if you have added stuff that you won't use, instead of deleting it, you should try to pull it out of the map to an unused area in the editor...Beleg Cuthalion has dug into this issue and can explain further
    Really?? Never heard of this before.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    If you're close to 60,000 with both used and used-but-freed slots it might get a bit messy.
    Finally what are these properties? Make me some examples, so I better understand.

And what you mean for "getting a bit messy"?

These are added in your level for everything that you create: brushes, volumes, objects, lightning, etc. Some things have more properties than the other, like all the frobbable, interactive objects from actor class menu have more properties than just corresponding static meshes. Characters are probably those entities which have the most properties, so having crowds of people in your map might kill it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by massimilianogoi View Post
    Finally what are these properties? Make me some examples, so I better understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by myself
    @Massimiliano: Check the Quirks etc. and Game crashes... threads to find out how to detect your property storage count.

I just find something interesting - in "Avoiding Mistrust" by DarkDragon in the garden in the Lord Raven's mansion there are about 20 tourches, the area is vast, there are guards but it doesn't lag on my PC. Why is that? Why the "Blue Rose" lags but "Avoiding Mistrust" don't lag. In "Blue Rose" the number of guards is the same but the tourches are less. Judith, what is your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by pwyll View Post
    I just find something interesting - in "Avoiding Mistrust" by DarkDragon in the garden in the Lord Raven's mansion there are about 20 torches, the area is vast, there are guards but it doesn't lag on my PC. Why is that? Why the "Blue Rose" lags but "Avoiding Mistrust" don't lag. In "Blue Rose" the number of guards is the same but the torches are less. Judith, what is your opinion?
    It's hard to nail the particular problem here, but all the Savar's FMs suffer from a low framerate. He has a lot of AIs in his maps, which might cause the dropdown, but I think that might be due to three things: a) he has a good PC so he doesn't notice that; b) he uses the wrong .exe file to generate ibt files - the "slower one" with commands, console and system messages, instead of T3MainReleaseVersion.exe; c) he didn't raise the MaxLightCount in the world properties window, which seem to have an effect, in some circumstances. Also, as Shadow said, zoning might have something to do with that too. We're talking about max lights per "scene", which is what player sees at any given moment, so bad zoning might increase the amount of things visible on screen, thus the FPS drop.

By the way, I finally had a few minutes for editing, just some simple exercise:

Last edited by Judith; 6th Aug 2009 at 07:45.

Moderator and Priest
    That's more than a halfway decent archway, Judith. The texturework in particular is really damn nice.

As for me, well...I've got my big project, but I'm finding I need more practice to do some of the more complicated stuff. So I went off on a tangent. Yesterday, I was goofing around with Dosbox, and I got to poking and prodding a bit of Ultima 8. It's one of the two bastard children of the series, but I always liked Pagan as a setting, so I figured I'd look do a search and see if anyone had tried to do a modern remake of it. Long story short, I ran across Ultima V Lazarus, thought it'd be neat if I tried my hand at something similar, and made...

This

Nothing too grand yet, just a few models and textures (and definitely not anywhere close to being Thief related)...but hey, I'm proud of it. Specially since it's my first time playing with prerendered lighting.

Nice I'd think about a little bit of grass at the bottom of those rocks so they don't stick out that much. You know, just a smudge.

Moderator and Priest
    SS, I guess it doesn't matter what theme they fit into...if they fit for something you want, ask me and I'll send them your way.

Judith, I'm actually one half step ahead of you. Modo 4 has this neat new feature I've been playing with called fur rendering that is excellent, EXCELLENT for making grass and roots and stuff. The only downside is that it's displayed at render time only, so you can't do a straight export to a game. But on still, if I can figure out the settings to get a quality orthographic render out of it, I'll never have to screw around with making alpha mask grass billboards in PS again.

While we're at the grass, there was some nice scatter function in max, letting you fill any terrain with bushes or even single blades of grass. Right now I'm trying to get some basic textures for a few modular houses I'm planning to make: test scene for a base/ground floor:

Moderator and Priest
    Whoa damn, man. I think you're getting better than me at making textures. That rock wall is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks. Actually I'm thinking about some modular house-building mesh set. It surely will be split to parts like ground floor, floor 1, 2, etc, but you'll be able to change the texture on each wall to use the same layout in a different way. Right now I'm using the old method, i.e. uvw mapping, for it's faster, but I already don't like the lack of prerendered shadows, so I might reconsider this strategy a bit.

Actually, I think I got a better idea. I'll make walls from non-tileable planes with prerendered shadows. I'll have to make a special set of textures for it, but I think it's worth it. Small example:

These are just two plane types: 192x192 and 96x192. I think it will give more control over the shape of the building. This plus some doors/doorways, windows, panes, archways and some other beams should do the trick.

For TDS, rememeber that it makes things much more comfortable to work with if you have interior bits at 192 high, but exterior as 256 per floor.

The horizontal beams should make up for it, they're 24uu thick instead of 32, but I think it will do. I still haven't exported that to T3ed to see how it looks like. Probably it will be more blurry, for I decided not to use textures bigger than 512, at least for walls and UVW mapped things. If something requires the UVW unwrap, I might use 1024.
    Last edited by Judith; 15th Aug 2009 at 05:25.

Sorry for double post, but I'd like you to see it - this definitely works. What you see on these shots is a decent base for a house and I used only 5 simple meshes: two types of wall, one vertical beam and two horizontal beams. And it was really fast, I was working on a grid of 8.

Edit - some more elements added:

Edit 2 - I've noticed a nice idea in Oblivion editor, some of the objects have a few additional planes with gradient shadows on them to imitate pre-rendered lightning. Actually it looks quite cool, giving you even more freedom than painting shadows on textures:

Last edited by Judith; 17th Aug 2009 at 08:13.

Wow, that look really nice, very cheeky

Must be expensive, but I guess they will LODs so it would be ok.

Moderator and Priest
    That does look cool. How do you set the parts to fit together, though?

So what have I been doing? Pretty simple stuff. I've been getting into the fine art of organic modelling, trying to make some trees. So far my trees have turned out alright, but not as nice as realistic as I'm hoping. Guess I gotta start going outside to stare at IRL trees for a bit.

A simple tree
    A slightly less simple tree

Real life trees are boring but in a computer game a good tree can look fantastic. I sometimes have to force myself to think in not so absurd ways... The second looks American to me but that might be due to cultural/national clichés etc..

By the way, there is a picture by a German cartoonist with a couple sitting on the grass and while the man is playing with his notebook, his wife looks at the sky and says: "No, I don't know any Bill Gates and neither do I think the sky looks strange."

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    That does look cool. How do you set the parts to fit together, though?[/url]
    Right now everything is broken down to basic elements like these:

I'm not sure whether I'll leave it like that or build some houses out of those and then export them to T3ed.. With all the parts available you have more control and freedom to build as you like, you only need to see how it works.

I tried to have a systematic approach, so I assumed that the wall will be the most important thing, determining the other elements. That's why all the pivots are set in order to make the placement much easier. You can place the walls of your ground floor first to work out the general layout and then put the rest of the pieces, just like that:

When you have all the pieces in place you can duplicate it and put it as a first floor and change the skins on the walls, get rid of some elements or add some, connect this house to another one, etc. One thing that bothers me, however, is how to make roofs in the same way

With respect to my beloved property storage count I think it would be wiser to (at least also) provide houses like the original static meshes, i.e. with different sides so they can be used from different angles and never look the same. Otherwise you're spending five to ten SMs for one deco building (which makes at least 10 to twenty if not more properties).

Also, since I have experience in the issue, it can really eat up your rendering if you try to make a big scene out of things like that just because of the number of objects.

Now, I think this is cool and all, but I think it may be more useful to people if you make boxes or complete house-frames or things as well.

As for the roofs, well I already made a set of roof-pieces, so you might try something broadly similar to that: set gradients and styles as complete "packs", with the sides and corners and things people might use.

Page 48 of 60 FirstFirst ... 38131823283338434445464748495051525358 ... LastLast