TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101520253035404546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1485

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

I thought that if there's one thing we have lots of objects about it is Victorian/modern window and door frames. Now that I have more space for the second part of my map, I might actually have a closer look.

This isn't the Victorian style. I was looking for the stock meshes that would help me create a renaissance-ish manor, but I haven't found much. Oh well, I'll have to do it all by myself, it's ok

Yes, Victorian probably was the wrong word, I was rather referring to (neo-) classicism, which on the other hand shouldn't be too far away from Ranaissance and its references to the ancient world anyway. Looking forward to it.

Btw. has anyone of you ever got something like a framerate drop-down or a crash due to "scene complexity too high"? Not that I have this problem, but with variety of the wall panels and rich decorations I'm about to make, I'm worried about potential performance problems, even in the interior.

Last edited by Judith; 3rd Oct 2009 at 07:15.

I was actually surprised when I doscovered that South Quarter in TDS was built almost entirely with static meshes, including the buildings... Well, this has many disadvantages, because if you try to build a city mission, it may look the same, assuming that you're not going to create new static meshes.

Regards

Olympus

___
    dossier surendettement

Yes and no. I'm always surprised how you can change SMs by using a completely different/unusual texture or place them in an odd way. But in the end a bit of diversity cannot hurt, that's why we've already put a static mesh sharing platform online. Still, you can do a lot of stuff with e.g. new textures only, no urgent need for new models unless you want to pull off something with a very special style.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Some test meshes:

A total change of plans, as you see. You'll easily guess the style of what I'm about to build.
    Textures too uniform, imo. Couldn't you make some textures "olding", like those walls on T3_GEN? They could give a soul at this texures.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Great work this house. Are the textures downloadable?

Those test meshes are painted with just one texture, with UVW mapping (not unwrapping) that's why they look so sterile. I just wanted to see whether they have good measurements in the game. They are supposed to look new, but they will have some dust and ambient occlusion effects later.

This house mesh tileset isn't ready yet so I didn't put these textures for download yet.

Another test, outdoor this time. Some new textures, a few simple terrain meshes and a different kind of lightning. Ambient is set to 64 here, higher values make Garrett almost completely blind because of the bloom

Looks great and (most importantly) natural. However, I wonder what an ambient brightness of 64 looks like. In darker areas already 14 is quite painful.

First thing looking weird in this setting are the normals. They look somewhat bloated. That's why I replaced normals on the ground with simple normalmapped noise, and I'm using it for all the kinds of snow I got.

And, there's big difference between bloom on and off, I'd suggest leaving it on, otherwise everything is much darker. I also have a few problems with amount of white and brightness on the vegetation. Using levels to unify the brightness/contrast of your textures and the way they react to light work fine on other meshes, but when it comes to transparent things like plants, everything is much darker than it should be. Maybe I should refrain from "Use Alpha" option and use "Alpha testing", so I can have 1-bit alpha plants with normals? I remember this was somewhat weird technique.

The general idea is to have Ambient Brightness changed by scripts, so when you enter a cave for example, it goes down to 8 and the fog disappears. I remember I did something like that with the fog, I hope I can fiddle with AB as well.

On the other hand, I believe even during daytime the contrast between snow and e.g. bark and shrubs is quite high. Ah, nevermind. Any snowy project at the back of your head?

Yup, I guess I'll stick to the outdoor mission right now, since I have problems with building mansions and interiors without having a detailed plan of a building.

Just to bring some life into the joint... a couple of shots from my mission. It will take the player into an intersection of City quarters from rather poor areas...

...to establishments of rather ill repute or bad smell...

...and even worse ale...

...but also to the comforts of industrialisation...

...and finally places with very fresh air...

And when I finally find out why a Fire-this-condition-every-[1]-second(s)-condition won't fire every second, I'll probably finish this thing in a couple of months.

Looks very very decent!

Oh, I don't know if this is true but something reminds me that "fire this condition every x seconds" works only when paired with some other condition, using the logic AND/OR operator...

Moderator and Priest
    Beleg, that is some absolutely jawdroppingly amazing work. Props.

jtr7
    Very nice, Cúthalion.

I can particularly see the love in that alleyway inspired by the TDP/Gold final movie, and I love what you've done overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cuthalion View Post
    ...And when I finally find out why a Fire-this-condition-every-[1]-second(s)-condition won't fire every second...
    The alternative way is to circle the action (for example, to ring a bell) with one flag and 3 scripts. First script fires when a map starts and sets the flag as TRUE. Other two scripts works in a circle. Second script starts when the flag changes to TRUE and sets the flag as FALSE after a few seconds. Last script starts when the flag changes to FALSE and sets the flag as TRUE after a few seconds. This trick definitely works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    That's wonderful.

Some cunning lateral thinking there as well, Tiens.

Thanks to all of you. I'm planning to prepare a little cutscene with a camera movement along the crane scene but I'll have to open the horizon a bit (a new horizon, as it were ) so one can see the different layers.

I'll try another idea for the scripting and if it doesn't work I'll come to the experiments thread again.

Looks wonderful, Beleg

Clearinghouse
    Looks very interesting

Great stuff, Beleg!

I like the various environments.

I cannot remember other TDS FM with the TMA style street lamp. Did you make it yourself?

Judith, are you working on a fan mission or just playing with the TDS engine, pushing it to its limits? There are many blueprints and building plans in the Internet that might help you create a simple house. However, you have achieved a nice looking forest. Adding the falling snow (I've seen the snowy scenes and the blizzard for TDS FM) and some footprints on the snow below will be great.

Great pictures, Pwyll, that's something I'd need!

Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101520253035404546474849505152535455 ... LastLast