TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 49141924293439444950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1485

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    And when I finally find out why a Fire-this-condition-every-[1]-second(s)-condition won't fire every second, I'll probably finish this thing in a couple of months.
    Very good screenies, Im licking the vibe of them etc. How goes it anyway..?

Thanks. Since Tiens has fixed my saving issue the maps basically only need a bit of design and fine-tuning (more detail, AIs, polishing etc.) but I'm at the moment burried with work, the lesser part consisting of computer-based things. One includes a Thief music video finishing (for now) the Dark Dialect series. But at least I've handed the mission to my co-founder (as it were) to make a list of things-to-do on her end. Summa summarum, not dead, just suffering the fate of an author not working on it every day.

Im working on my first Thief 3 FM.

The following pictures are of the Inn which is almost complete as to layout and two of the town itself fleshed out. Lots of work to do yet.

Of course this is a HUGE map in regards to Thief 3 so at some point I will break it up into smaller parts.

My mission will be called "Ship down double cross". A ship has sunk in a large bay. There will be an Island with a mansion on it (oooh lots of LOOT), a mine (there be gold in them thar hills), and a foundry (hmm what DO we need to make).

So looking at 4 to 5 maps for the entire mission.

Im not sure if I am biting off more than I can chew. I am familiar with the Unreal editor so thats not a problem. Although T3ed has some MAJOR differences. No 'terrain editing' like Ued2, movers are different and of coarse the glaring use of meshes which I like. Just need to learn how to make my own.

Time frame to completion, unknown. I am moving countries in one month and will be without a computer for 4 weeks after that give or take a week or two.

Each image is around 200kb, 1.8mb for all images.

Inn 1, Inn 2, Inn 3, Inn 4, Inn 5, Inn 6, Inn 7, Inn 8, Inn 9, town fleshed out, town fleshed out 2.
    Last edited by Leenuks; 28th Jun 2010 at 11:03. Reason: Updated info.

Wow, that's quite good news. The Inn9 picture also has a bit of Thief 2 feel to it which I think a lot of people will like (I think I've arrived at the point where I consider more or less realistic architecture best looking in T3Ed).

Check out this thread (and my troubles with the property storage count) for the IMHO only really dangerous limit in T3Ed: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91954

It seems nearly everyone starts with plans for a big, multimap mission with a load of custom content. I hope you've read all the tutorials and things, and know what you're getting into.

Either way - start putting lights in and working with the Flesh/Ion renderer *now* - all those sceenshots look okay unlit, but you look to have some big spaces with no way to control the visibility, and you only get six (yes, 6) lights before you ether start to lose performance or have to changes global settings that will prevant parts of the audience who may want to play your level from being able to.

(and that's 6 lights the engine can see - it doesn't matter if the player can't see any effect from them)

As for adding custom content, it tends to require 3DSMax5, which is inconveniently hard to get as it's no longer supported by its maker, and we don't have conversion/import tools for anything else or anything newer. There are people around who might convert things for you though, if you ask nicely (I used to be one of them, before Vista got in the way.)

Otherwise though, good luck, have fun, and welcome to the community.

And, for your own sanity - throw out some small mission first so you can see how everything fits before you box yourself into a corner

I think it would be better to make some new textures and apply them to devs' smeshes rather than using tons of custom content - it takes ages to build everything from scratch, believe me - I'm doing it right now. The only stock thing I got is Garrett's mesh.

As it goes for lightning - its true, though in my case I won't need that many lights. Actually it's an irony, but the more I work on my winter mission, the more I'm convinced that Flesh is better suited for daylight missions I'm using some lightning FX rather than lightning itself and the AI behavior is surprisingly good - all I did was some visibility range tweak. I'm still not sure what be the final result, but everything feels good so far. The only thing I'm worried about is the performance loss due to a lot of foliage and transparency textures/meshes/materials, never hit any limit here.

My current map is a large open area and the buildings are additive brush with subtract rooms etc.

Ive been reading a few threads here and there and learnt that this is NOT the way to go for T3 missions even though that is what I am used to.

Having come from Deus Ex/Unreal map layouts is getting troubling for my map.

At the moment I have set the maps base lighting to 20 with no added lights just for testing the LOOK of it. Of course it runs very well at the moment. But as Ziemanskye mentions about lighting, no doubt once I place some lights, which i have already done here and there, the level really starts to grind to a halt.

As for custom meshes, I am not going there just yet. I will be using whatever is available in the editor.

Having played most of the T3 FM's has shown me how much lighting really does effect the game as to map sizes.

I have 3DSmax 7 sadly but have access to version 5.1 if I ask a friend who may let his copy go.

Making a small mission to start is very good advice. Already I have come to a standstill with my oversized map.

Its all a learning curve.

Lee

Ok, haven't been here in a while (May of last year) but, I kinda like coming back to show my progress because you guys are the ones that really got me started on this stuff. And thank all of you.

My build is still ongoing at Buzz, and well, it's progressed a wee tiny bit further now.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...ck-by-Deck-WIP

For the raw structure, she's complete. Buildwise, I think I'm about 1/2 to 2/3 finished. She still needs detailed out and textured; but, the base model is about 6 decks from being finished and
    ready for detailing. Dying to get back to modding though!

Edit:
    Something I just put up on youtube. Included shout outs to TTLG in it. Thanks guys!

******** width="425" height="344">
    Last edited by havoc211; 28th Sep 2010 at 04:35. Reason: Add a link

Hi everyone

Ive finally settled in our new home. Bought myself a better computer, sort of. Downloaded the Komag DVDs and thought I would do some work on my map. Thief editor crashes when I try to load my levels. Seems the Intel GMA 3000 onboard video just cant hack it. I even tried to set the editors affinity to one core. Still crashed. Might try a reinstall and see what happens.

My old pc
    P4 3.2ghz cpu, 2gb ram, 500gb hdd, 256mb NVidia 5700le AGP.
    New pc
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66ghz, 4gb ram (only 3gb seen by XP), 2x 500gb hdd, onboard GMA 3000 video. Will upgrade to a PCIe 16x card soon.

Havoc211, man thats nice, can I fly it... pleeeaaasse!

Definitely you should switch to some decent video card, preferably Nvidia-based, so you'll have less problems with T3 and the editor. I guess something like GF 9800 GTX should be pretty cheap by now.

By the way, I'm suspending all my Thief-related work now, switching to UDK and getting private UDK/3dsmax/Photoshop etc. classes in local CVA. I want to focus on honing my skills as now-amateur environment artist and see where it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leenuks View Post
    Hi everyone

Ive finally settled in our new home. Bought myself a better computer, sort of. Downloaded the Komag DVDs and thought I would do some work on my map. Thief editor crashes when I try to load my levels. Seems the Intel GMA 3000 onboard video just cant hack it. I even tried to set the editors affinity to one core. Still crashed. Might try a reinstall and see what happens.

My old pc
    P4 3.2ghz cpu, 2gb ram, 500gb hdd, 256mb NVidia 5700le AGP.
    New pc
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66ghz, 4gb ram (only 3gb seen by XP), 2x 500gb hdd, onboard GMA 3000 video. Will upgrade to a PCIe 16x card soon.

Havoc211, man thats nice, can I fly it... pleeeaaasse!
    Gonna have to play wait and see for now. Haven't decided how much of it to release; but, a portion at the least will be released in a mod for Oblivion engine most likely. Kinda looking forward to getting back to mod work.. And thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Definitely you should switch to some decent video card, preferably Nvidia-based, so you'll have less problems with T3 and the editor. I guess something like GF 9800 GTX should be pretty cheap by now.

By the way, I'm suspending all my Thief-related work now, switching to UDK and getting private UDK/3dsmax/Photoshop etc. classes in local CVA. I want to focus on honing my skills as now-amateur environment artist and see where it goes.
    Are you signed up over at Moddb?

Archivist
    Thought I would reiterate my previous message from March this year.

Are there authors who would like to see the T3 fan mission they work on, mentioned in the upcoming FM list ?
    If so then read this post for more details.

Clearinghouse
    Old Big Castle by IronEagle in development (I hope): http://darkfate.ru/?thumbs=files/fan...le/screenshots

Hi, everyone!

I started to study 3D-modeling in 3DS MAX for my future TDS fan-missions. So here's my first steps:

I suggest that you study the unwrapping tool, for the texturing you're showing here is not gonna cut it. And, if you want to show your new modeling skills, you should show the wireframe view (quads or tris).

if you want to show your new modeling skills, you should show the wireframe view (quads or tris).
    I don't understand, what exactly you want from me.

He's just saying that if all you want to show is a model, it's better to show one of the untextured versions. You can render a wireframe directly in 3DSmax, which is usually better than in-game views for that kind of thing, and that would let people see how the model was made as well as the overall shape of it.

For this type of thing I don't think it's much of an issue, though he is right that the texture unwrapping needs some work. Don't worry about that too much yet - if you check back on the earlier models by me and Judith (and pretty much anyone else) you'll see we all had to learn a lot about that as well.

In terms of the geometry of the models though, they look pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiens View Post
    I don't understand, what exactly you want from me.
    Yup, Z. pretty much explained it for me. If you need an example on how the a typical model presentation looks like, click here.

And still, even now those models look pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye View Post
    ...if all you want to show is a model, it's better to show one of the untextured versions. You can render a wireframe directly in 3DSmax...
    ...an example on how the a typical model presentation looks like...
    Thanks for explanation, but model's shape by itself is not the thing that I really want to show. Making a model in 3DS MAX is a piece of cake. Covering it with some texture is not hard, it's just time-consuming. My main goal is to integrate a new object into TDS mission properly, with all its shadows, pivots, multi-textures etc. etc. etc. Screenshots from T3Ed game-mod is the most important for me, because I'm focused on interacting of my new objects. So THAT is the thing, that I'm showing at my screenshots. My chair and bed are not just a part of decoration - they interact with NPC in properly way. My grandfather clock is not a monolith - it has a swinging pendulum, turning arrows and an openable door.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiens View Post
    Thanks for explanation, but model's shape by itself is not the thing that I really want to show. Making a model in 3DS MAX is a piece of cake. Covering it with some texture is not hard, it's just time-consuming. My main goal is to integrate a new object into TDS mission properly, with all its shadows, pivots, multi-textures etc. etc. etc. Screenshots from T3Ed game-mod is the most important for me, because I'm focused on interacting of my new objects. So THAT is the thing, that I'm showing at my screenshots. My chair and bed are not just a part of decoration - they interact with NPC in properly way. My grandfather clock is not a monolith - it has a swinging pendulum, turning arrows and an openable door.
    Well, you said you're going to study 3d modeling. People who want others to review their progress, usually show model wireframe to see if your mesh is clean, uvs and textures to see whether you used the 0, 1 texture space as efficiently as possible, etc. If you want to show that your models have moving parts, record movies and post them on youtube or sth.

Judith,
    first of all, I said that I started to study 3D-modeling for my future TDS fan-missions. Secondly, I'm not going to sell my models. So I think, that their current presentation shows enough details and is OK.

jtr7
    I didn't see the part about selling them, only that others would like to be able to see their full and truest structure. You may only drop them into your own FM and think that's the end of it, but unless you state you do not wish for others, at some later date after you've released the mission with these objects, to place them in their own projects, someone will be hoping to use them too. These other people who would like to use your objects include those who'd want to know the details they are asking for right now. The questions may seem unorthodox and invasive to you, but sharing objects is the expected normal culture here, so you are being asked/told to provide details to that end. If you do not intend to share, say so, and if you do, please provide details for those who will see your posts and expect to know more for their own ideas.

Well it's not that twisted, is it? As for me, I don't care whether I see them in the game or just rendered in 3DS max, as long as I can see them in my static mesh browser.

Page 54 of 60 FirstFirst ... 49141924293439444950515253545556575859 ... LastLast