TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101520253035404550515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1485

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

Jtr7's right. Also,

Making a model in 3DS MAX is a piece of cake. Covering it with some texture is not hard, it's just time-consuming.
    The problem is, we can't see that on your screenshots. You just made some simple models and slapped tiling texture(s) onto them. That's no biggie, sure. But that's not learning what the modelling is either. At least if your goal is to make quality models like this one in the future. I hope to be as good as this guy someday

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    ...sharing objects is the expected normal culture here... If you do not intend to share...
    How dare you accuse me after all my textures, that I have already shared?! Actually I haven't seen you sharing something, that was made for T3Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    You just made some simple models and slapped tiling texture(s) onto them. That's no biggie, sure. But that's not learning what the modelling is either. ...in the future I hope to be as good as this guy someday.
    Actually making simple things as a start is not a crime. And also this part of forum is NOT for high-polygon modelling, it's for low-poly T3Ed. Judith, you don't edit T3Ed for a year and your dream is complicated modelling. So what a hell are you doing here? You should go there, where your showing off of your cool skills is not out of place.

So, as far as I see, the only one normal culture here is idiotic knocks at someone, who is just starting to learn something! After that I really don't have a wish to share anything.

Now come on everybody, there really is no actual cause here to get angry. We're here to help each other, so let's just concentrate on that and encourage ourselves who still work with or for T3Ed instead of making mountains out of a molehill.

BTT: Ah, there it is again, after almost half a year of no time and/or no computer, my favourite little mess:

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Now come on everybody, there really is no actual cause here to get angry. We're here to help each other, so let's just concentrate on that and encourage ourselves who still work with or for T3Ed instead of making mountains out of a molehill.

BTT: Ah, there it is again, after almost half a year of no time and/or no computer, my favourite little mess:
    Nice thing you got here Beleg, keep it up! I think the problem here is that Tiens has her own definition of low-poly modeling. All examples I've shown are low-poly, just using techniques like baking AO and hi-mesh details on low-rez mesh textures, and other stuff that makes low-poly models look so great these days. She just doesn't know those techniques, otherwise she wouldn't say that modeling or texturing is easy. It was, like in the 90s. Actually, optimization for games these days is more time-consuming than making models and materials for typical architecture visualisations.

I thought you Cabal guys were somehow familiar with each other. I didn't argue about what everyone here said but the way in which things were said. I guess no one here will ignore good advice as long as it's done politely, but here I guess these things were understood the wrong way.

Anyway, this is already too much talk about it. I cannot promise anything anymore concerning this mission, but in February and March I might have more free time.

Moderator and Priest
    Beleg: Why the hell aren't we playing this awesome piece of Fanmission yet? Just from the screenshots, I'd say your stuff is about the best I've seen come out of Thief 3. Quit being a damn tease about it and LET US PLAY, SON! :P

Tiens: I think you're taking a defensive stance on something you don't need to be defensive about. Just relax a bit and show off some wireframe meshes. You're already showing you've got some talent at modeling. Letting everyone see your models in their raw form will allow everyone to offer their critique and suggestions, and make you that much better in the long run.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    Thought I would reiterate my previous message from March this year.

Are there authors who would like to see the T3 fan mission they work on, mentioned in the upcoming FM list ?
    If so then read this post for more details.
    Obsession by Lolkab in development.

Since I can export meshes and materials to T3ed again, I thought I could excersise some low-poly workflow and normal-baking This is medium poly model, 96k tris or so. There are some smaller details not included, those will be painted on normal and diffuse:

Now on to the low-rez mesh.

Very nice! Very smooth lines and great detail. I can't wait to see it textured! What is your target for final poly count?

Thought I'd start something new. This may be the start of the sequel to "Evicted."
    Last edited by nomad of the pacific; 11th Mar 2011 at 15:16.

Playing with static meshes is great, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by nomad of the pacific View Post
    Very nice! Very smooth lines and great detail. I can't wait to see it textured! What is your target for final poly count?
    I hope to stay below 500 tris. Most details will be baked on flat surfaces. I guess upper doors will require some more triangles but that's it.

Just to celebrate that I have a working almost-beta version of my FM, some screenies to see that it and this forum isn't completely dead:

One of my better Ramirez/Assassins-style buildings:

...and one of the two-and-a-half inns of this map:

There could still be more detail everywhere, but ...erm...there will.

Real cool.

Clearinghouse
    Beautiful screens Can't wait!

Moderator and Priest
    More people need to come in here and complement your stuff, Beleg. Everything about that map is beautiful. Your lighting, your architecture, your texture work...great job.

Thanks a lot. I wish there was a "life" button to add all the stuff that makes sceneries vivid.

But graphics aside, there is also a sort of philosophical concept in this mission which somehow overlays the actual ingame plot (which uses the canon in almost every aspect). So I hope it's not only about visuals. Oh, and of course it's not about magical artifacts hidden underneath old mansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Actually, Xbox memory is EXACTLY why the maps are small Most of the maps were originally much larger, probably 2x the size they are now, but we had to shrink them down to get them to run on Xbox. FM authors should be able to make pretty large maps since there is no memory restriction. They will still need to be careful to zone well and not build too large/complex of scenes, but the size of a map in and of itself shouldn't be a problem.
    I REALLY have to call bull on that -- 100% horse manure.

What makes me say that? Because there was a game that while it didn't have quite the level of detail, had several hundred thousand times the area to explore of any thief level, without a loading screen to be seen -- hell, the only time a loading screen was present was the transition from indoors to out -- while you could drive from one CITY to another with three entire cities and an equal amount of desert to explore... released for PS/2 at almost the same time and for windows/Xbox a mere 5 months later.

I of course am referring to GTA:San Andreas. It's called texture streaming, and is commonplace in most every game today. (even if some fly-by-night developers completely screw up it's use -- see DaggerDale). Honestly the first time you drive from Los Santos "all the way" to San Fierro, without a single loading screen ... mind blowing for the time, and even today is impressive.

That we're talking the same year as VTM:Bloodlines, KotOR2, and the original Far Cry -- that the steaming pile of unplayable manure known as Deadly Shadows got as high a ratings from the reviewers left me wondering just how much those reviewers were being bribed!

But then, I think the same thing of that unplayable uncontrollable nonsensical mess known as Assassin's Creed... where that web comic explaining how that steaming dung-heap got made sounds just about right to me.

Hell, just compare a TDS level to say... Far Cry's first level... Suddenly TDS feels like playing the original half life on a P90.
    Last edited by deathshadow; 19th Jun 2011 at 14:50.

GTA San Andreas? You mean these puppet-like AIs with no real shadow casting, LEGO buildings and all? I mean, are you seriously giving the devs a bollocking for not using an engine and its open world technique which is otherwise utterly unfit for the game(play) intended? And what is Bloodlines, a game with even more loading zones and no console support, even doing on your list?

Honestly, I know you're a famous bellyacher, but did it ever cross your mind that your rants are usually mere opinion (read as: non-factual)-based drivel and that there might be a good reason why the majority of this (usually very criticism-prone) community agrees on a much more moderate area?

Edit: Back to topic. I love doing buildings, streets and stuff...
    Last edited by Beleg Cúthalion; 21st Jun 2011 at 03:30.

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow View Post
    I REALLY have to call bull on that -- 100% horse manure.
    Having been part of a team that has built a Thief inspired game from the ground up, I can tell you that a Thief game is nothing like a GTA game. Sure you can stream textures, landscape and spawn AI on the fly in a GTA game on something like the original xbox...but good luck doing it with a Thief game. The AI, sound propagation, light and shadow calculations, stim-response system, all of it takes a huge chunk out of the system resources. It would take something a little more sophisticated than whatever streaming they used in GTA to pull off a Thief game. All of that stuff has to be tracked and monitored...unlike a lot of games where you can just switch it off when the player is out of view. As we learned on Dark Mod, Thief games are intensive beasts.

The reason they can stream those games is because the throughput is so much smaller. On the old xbox, I can totally see a Thief game bottle-necking pretty quickly.

Krypt was one of the developers of T3, he definitely knows what he's talking about...and at that point in time...streaming a game like Thief just wouldn't have been possible on an underpowered system like the original xbox.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon View Post
    Krypt was one of the developers of T3, he definitely knows what he's talking about...and at that point in time...streaming a game like Thief just wouldn't have been possible on an underpowered system like the original xbox.
    They would've had to plan and build accordingly, but it might've been possible to stream in that much detail even on the original Xbox. Problem was, they didn't have any other choice but to work with an engine that was far too unwieldy to fit comfortably inside the Xbox's paltry 64MB of ram. By the time they learned as much, it was too late to reverse course and begin again.

I think the worst tragedy with T3 isn't that the game was "dumbed down for the konsole kiddies", rather that it could've been so much more. The fact they pulled a fairly decent game out of a near untenable situation is impressive enough. But imagine what they could've done if they had an engine that would've allowed them the room to do what they originally wanted. The Thief 3 that could've been.

It probably would've looked like Beleg's map up above.

I'm sure I remember one of the team (null, maybe?) over at the old Ion Storm forums saying that they looked at streaming technology and it just didn't work with a Thief title. I'm guessing NH has it just about right.

In the end this isn't exactly the first time I remember when deathshadow doesn't return to see how his rants have been exposed as unfounded tattle.

I'm so glad that there will be new TDS missions soon. My fingers are itchy. I need to steal something!

Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5101520253035404550515253545556575859 ... LastLast