TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9141924293439444954555657585960 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1485

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW? - Community WIP thread

My little test chamber, this one's for general movement and mantling/jumping/turning animation testing.

I'm trying to figure out the numbers for spatial ratio for the surfaces where player can navigate and get best flow from that. For example, running and turning on beams suck, even if they're 32 UUs thick
    Also, mantling seems to be smoother when objects use height values like 32, 64, 128 rather than 48, 96 etc. And, there seems to be a slight difference in terms of precision and ease of navigation between 1st and 3rd person, in the favor of the latter. But that should not be that much of a surprise, huh?
    Last edited by Judith; 26th Jun 2013 at 17:53.

At it again (crossing fingers)

Ok, I was working on Maguire Estates 2 for well, forever, and I decided to start from scratch in T3Ed instead of Dromie. I am already missing my Dromie, though, but things are going so much faster. So, here is what I have after half a day's work (yes, it's rough and I lightened the images to the best of my ability).

Well, that's a dark and gloomy first impression. But dark corridors is what T3Ed was made for, so you're doing it right!

Btw. anyone up for the Halloween Contest? It's not T2/NewDark exclusive.

I did think about it, but I don't have a clear idea nor enough free time to just do it. But who knows? Hopefully T3G will suffice as a Halloween gift.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    Also, mantling seems to be smoother when objects use height values like 32, 64, 128 rather than 48, 96 etc. And, there seems to be a slight difference in terms of precision and ease of navigation between 1st and 3rd person, in the favor of the latter. But that should not be that much of a surprise, huh?
    Anything you can do to make the mantling and climbing better is much appreciated. Take a wonder over to the TDM forums as Im sure grayman could give you some pointers on how the mantling system works in TDM.

I'm working on T3FM Obsession. It was announced here by clearing long time ago. I had large breaks, but I develop it again. Shortly - Obsession is about young girl, who lives in the Shalebridge Cradle as a patient and wants go get out. Some screens: 1 2 3

What I've wanted... The hardest thing I have to do - replace the mesh of Garrett by new mesh. I would be very happy, if somebody can help or give some ideas, cause I'm really stupid in 3D - http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142471

Hehe, nice idea. If you cannot replace the mesh, maybe using a different texture would be better than nothing. Unfortunately I have no idea about 3D modelling myself. By the way, have you combined the two halves of the Cradle map into one? I did this for the original map and the Thief 3 Gold project. It got a bit larger than the vanilla game could handle, but snobel found a tweak for it. Aside from that, with only brushwork and static meshes copied, you probably won't have these issues. But I guess it's already too late for that when you'Re far into development.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    Hehe, nice idea. If you cannot replace the mesh, maybe using a different texture would be better than nothing. Unfortunately I have no idea about 3D modelling myself.
    Yeah, I will do it if I won't make mesh. But I feel that solution is close, maybe it will be found. Anyway, I don't want to hurry )
    By the way, have you combined the two halves of the Cradle map into one? I did this for the original map and the Thief 3 Gold project. It got a bit larger than the vanilla game could handle, but snobel found a tweak for it. Aside from that, with only brushwork and static meshes copied, you probably won't have these issues. But I guess it's already too late for that when you'Re far into development.
    Yes, I did. I even made it bigger, built another block near Stuff Tower. It was one of two ways to expand Cradle without breaking of future. Second one (that I didn't use, but maybe somebody will want) - new floor or two inside of tower. We can see some beds here in the memory, and also probably there is vestige in the Yard. But I made something else, cause i didn't want to make yard very long as it should be.
    At first I've restored both parts of Cradle very carefully (I was afraid to create broken butterfly effect), removed all NPC (not very clever decision, cause I'm adding them back ) and trash. I've built new block and after all I've merged both parts just copy-pasting, and it works fine. Tiens and Savar helped me to solve the problem with pools. And looks like I also have to thank snobel for it ) I also removed cells and treatment rooms and I made Tower little shorter, but it was ideologically, not necessary. The biggest problem is fps, it is a bit lower than in vanilla, but 10 years passed by, I hope that it's not problem anymore.

It's the first time in years I actually managed to block out the whole building in just a few afternoons. It might be a real mission someday.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Looks great - wouldn't mind looting that place.

I'll try to do something about that in upcoming months

One thing worries me though. There's basically nothing there except hi-res textures on BSP and a few meshes, and the .unr file is already almost 5 MB. There isn't even a navmesh yet. I wonder what makes it so big?

Since you can't see much on that editor screenshot, some base textures and meshes:

It's not much, but I think it's setting the tone nicely. It's a dawn mission in an abandoned tenement, so water arrows won't do much. I hope I'll be able to have something interesting here, gameplay wise.
    Last edited by Judith; 19th Jan 2015 at 04:38.

Looking tasty. This reminds me of a small daylight mission idea that I still have... I really hope T3 doesn't look as strange as T1/2 with these high-res textures, given that not everything can be adapted to modern detail standards (e.g. pawns).

Thanks. I haven't done the AI test yet, surely I'll have to do some retexturing to match the color palette and pixel density. Textures will probably be scaled down by half to make more reasonable size of the whole thing.

Fingers crossed, Judith. A mission set at dawn could be honestly interesting.

bikerdude
    Nice lighting and textures Judith..

Thanks, I wish I actually had time to work on that further... Maybe someday.

Wow it looks like a completely different game (which is a good thing ). Hopefully it can go somewhere great and we can play it

Unfortunately, the progress will be slow. After a break and some afterthought I'm back at the concept phase. Things I made last time, like this glass roof concept, will probably go away – too much light, not enough player freedom I'm not exactly sure how to marry the concept of a daylight mission with one of the pillars of Thief gameplay, i.e. being able to modify light conditions to gain advantage. Right now it feels more like 'Fallout abandoned building' style of gameplay.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Damn, that's a nice roof... Hopefully you can find some way to fit it in. Don't want to hear someone yelling "Garrett, I'm slipping!" though.

bikerdude
    Very nice roof.

Quote Originally Posted by snobel View Post
    Damn, that's a nice roof... Hopefully you can find some way to fit it in. Don't want to hear someone yelling "Garrett, I'm slipping!" though.
    Hah, good one! That could serve as a kind of easter egg, although it would be hard to do without copyright violation

Looking good, really! Hiding between solid objects might provide a new angle on the solid gameplay (maybe moving said objects compensates for the loss of manipulating shadows then). Another advantage might be that you can exclude lit areas from the navmesh. I had this in mind for an Enforcer mission where the assassins actually stay in the shadows.

That's a neat idea, thanks! I'm back at pre-production, so I had to ask myself what I really wanted to do. And, honestly, I just want to make pretty things in 3D space that is interesting to traverse No 'profound', 'emotional' story, because I'm not a writer, and no lengthy readables. This may sound like a lack of ambition, but limiting yourself this way it's actually pretty interesting. I treat every room as a test room, a more or less complicated problem to be solved. The final result will probably look like one of Dishonored challenge maps. And there's a slight chance it won't take years to finish

Page 59 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9141924293439444954555657585960 LastLast