TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530354045505560 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

Scouting Orbs?

BTW what the heck ever happened to the scouting orbs? I have not heard it discussed, does T3ED support them? I sure could use them in the hammerite monastery right now.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormidnight
    I want to shoot myself now, but I would probably use the "subtract" button on accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximius
    The plan is a four level house, each level of rooms an identical cube 256h/256w/1200b. I want to stack them with stairs betwixt. The question, stack them tightly on top of one another or place them floating a few units apart above one another? Or does it matter?
    Hm. I'm not sure I'm getting your question exactly right, so I apologize in advance. But from what it sounds like you're making, and assuming the place has an outdoor area at all, I'd just make one huge additive cube for the whole place, then place four big subtractive brushes inside of it for each of the floors (or however many you need for each room, you know what I mean). If it doesn't have any outdoors at all, then yes, float the subtractive brushes apart by the desired thickness of the floors/ceilings. Sorry for the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbalu
    -How can I make a mountain slope?
    Use the Freehand Polygon tool. It looks like some dots connected by lines.

-I always have problem with navigation in the Editor.
    Right click an actor and do Obsolete->Align Cameras. Move one of the views and all will align to that actor.
    Last edited by SneaksieDave; 11th Apr 2005 at 11:59.

Its all indoors sneaksiedave so I will use the floating scheme, I had meant to mention that. Your posts are a wonderful primer. I admit I still find the Wiki a little confusing, not to use but to understand because of the techo-lingo. Im alearnin though.

I tried carving but I think because its going to be a medium small mission I am going to build by hand after all. Once I have a wall assembled, is there a way to automatically snug all the pieces into the space and close as possible to one another? Or is that simply a matter of fine magnification hand and vertex editing?

Heh, thanks. Sure, if you use the grid, you can pop them into place right alongside each other with no gap at all. Grid can be set from enormous (something like 4096 units IIRC) down to 1 unit (there's a listbox at the bottom of the editor near the grid snap button). I have mine on 1 pretty much 99% of the time, unless I'm doing a resize.

If you are having trouble getting a brush on the grid, you can either use Tools->Report Off-Grid Brushes and snap them all on that way, or you can right click a vertex of the brush to align it to the grid (worked in Unreal, I think it still does here too).

If you don't use the grid... use the grid.

Basement layout nearly complete!

SneaksieD thanks again for the $$$ info, I did the grid, thank goodness cause my map was acting whacky. Good news! I have almost the complete layout of the basement of the house done, four small rooms, storage, kitchen, servants quarters and the dining room. But where in the hell are all the beds? Must be in another matlib folder.

Doh!

Okay I did the Tools/Check for BSPs off grid. I aligned them all and the actors, now when I run the function it keeps telling me that brush 0 and 17 are off grid. I align, etc., and it still says the same thing. ALso, checked for map errors, got this illuminating report:

! BRUSH_4

The message is some ascii symbol, no text.

Oh, I almost forgot, HELP!
    Last edited by Maximius; 12th Apr 2005 at 22:59.

coupla questoins:

First, outdoor levels: what's the general approach to creating exterior locations, city streets etc. Do you just use a massive brush to substract a large space, and then add geometry back in?

Second, custom textures: There's a little info in the setup doc about bringing in your own textures. So I saved as a .dds from photoshop, and imported into the editor, applied to a surface. So far so good, but the texture does not show up in the game - just the default gray one. Does the the .dds have to be a certain bit-depth or something, or do you need to adjust the texture properties in the editor? Additionally, is it best to create your own matlibs? How is this achieved?

cheers
    str8g8

Administrator
    On outdoor levels - don't subtract a huge brush. If you look at the production levels you'll notice that all the streets are carved out so that they are geometrically separate zones to cut down on the number of polys rendered.

Custom Textures

The textures need to be in the PCTextures AND Textures. If you have subdirectories then that subdirectory needs to be copied as well.

Does anyone know how to tell T3Ed what kind of texture you imported? Whether the texture is grass, stone, tile, or rug?

Quote Originally Posted by ascottk
    Does anyone know how to tell T3Ed what kind of texture you imported? Whether the texture is grass, stone, tile, or rug?
    Unfortunately, you can only assign a material category to a texture in 3dsmax.

Quote Originally Posted by str8g8
    Additionally, is it best to create your own matlibs? How is this achieved?
    It is, but again you're gonna need 3dsmax to do this. Specially 5.1, which is about as easily acquirable as a reversible sedgewick.

What the hell causes this white crap to appear on walls?

http://www.sherlockholmesarmy.org/ttlg/whitelight.jpg

How can i play T3 fms?
    I have done all the necessary installations but where to put the zip files?

Ok, I admit I have little experience with the Unreal engine, however there are some roadblocks which prevent me from continuing and unfortunately the tutorials are'nt much helpful.

First off, I created a small room as a result of six sheets put together rather than using the cube. However when I try to click on the sheet I cannot texture it. Ive already built-all with the level, but I still can not place textures. What do I have to do?

Also, Ive created a room in 2 halfs and I want to join them together. I notice there is a small gap between the sheets I want to join to make a bigger room out of the two. Is there a way to join them together to make one whole room?

After adding 2 brushes and they are blue (cus I made them obviously) I would like to make 2 separate pieces whole, how do I do that?

I have similar problems with a cube, I want to make an opening on both ends so I turn the small room into a hallway and also join 2 hallow cubes together to make a bigger hall out of the two. I think that would be easier and shorter than making 4 separate sheets, but i have problems opening the ends, how can I do that?

If you can answer these questions id be greatly appreciated (and help make the Wiki better :P ) Thanks in advance!

Oh one more thing, how do I delete half of a sphere so I make a dome?
    Last edited by Boreas; 17th Apr 2005 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin
    How can i play T3 fms?
    I have done all the necessary installations but where to put the zip files?
    What zip files ?

Given that there are no T3 fm's out yet, and the method of distribution and file structure for fm's has not yet been fully worked out, it's hard to know what you refer to.

If the zip contains a .unr file, then you need to place it in the maps directory and load it into the editor then compile/run it.

Boreas, you lost me quickly. You made a room with 6 sheets instead of a block? Why? And, (how) did you tell the editor that the area within was to be air instead of solid? I didn't even know that was possible (is it?). Have you ever successfully ran the map and walked around in it? I'm perplexed.

You should be able to get rid of any gaps quickly with grid snapping on, and by snapping the brushes to the grid, if needbe (Tools->Report offgrid brushes, or right click a vertex).

Oh one more thing, how do I delete half of a sphere so I make a dome?
    Drag your sphere to a spot where you have solid alongside air, for instance, the side of a large room. Place the sphere halfway into the wall. Either Intersect (there should be a button) the sphere with the solid part, or De-intersect it with the air part. Try it, you'll see how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by SneaksieDave
    Boreas, you lost me quickly. You made a room with 6 sheets instead of a block? Why? And, (how) did you tell the editor that the area within was to be air instead of solid? I didn't even know that was possible (is it?). Have you ever successfully ran the map and walked around in it? I'm perplexed.
    Thats correct because I thought thats one of the ways to make a room. However I have made a hollow cube right next to it. No, I have not sucessfully ran the map because I have not yet textured the surfaces for both of the geometry that I have made. Ill explore more into making this geometry into "something", I think I may have missed a step since you clued me that I had to tell if it was a solid or air.

Quote Originally Posted by Boreas
    Thats correct because I thought thats one of the ways to make a room. However I have made a hollow cube right next to it. No, I have not sucessfully ran the map because I have not yet textured the surfaces for both of the geometry that I have made. Ill explore more into making this geometry into "something", I think I may have missed a step since you clued me that I had to tell if it was a solid or air.
    It sounds like you're not clear on the difference between engines that use constructive geometry (for example the Quake engines) and ones that use subtractive geometry. (dromed and UT)

I know where you're coming from, as my only previous map building experience was Quake 1 which uses CSG. (constructive solid geometry)

In a CSG engine like Quake, the "world" is empty when you start, eg its all free space. To create a single room you would then have to create 6 rectangular sheets with a finite thickness to make up the floor, ceiling, and walls. You would have to be careful to snap them to the grid so they all meet up perfectly to avoid BSP holes. A large enough hole would even allow a player to fall out into the "void"

UT (and dromed too) uses subtractive geometry which means that to begin with, the world is FULL of one huge solid slab of material, and you have to SUBTRACT space out of this slab to give you room to move in.

After subtracting a room you can then ADD objects within the subtracted space.

Why do things this way ? Because its more efficient in terms of vertexes, and its also more intuitive for making "indoor" levels.

With the CSG approach, you need 6 sheets (brushes) of finite thickness, which means each sheet has 8 vertexes, (since its not infinitely thin) and 6 faces, which would need 12 triangles to render.

With subtractive geometry the same thing can be achieved by subtracting ONE rectangular cube, and now you only have EIGHT vertexes defining the room, (instead of 48) and "walls" of infinite thickness. You don't have to worry about snapping the corners to the grid to avoid holes, and if you want to move or change the dimensions of the room you're only manipulating ONE brush instead of many.

There are two basic approaches you can take - one is to use a single large brush to subtract an area big enough for your mission and then build it as if it were a CSG engine using additive brushes, but this is generally frowned on as inefficient.

The second and better way is to use subtractive brushes where needed to hollow out the main room areas and then use additive brushes to add back in the needed coarse details. (With static meshes for fine details)

It took me a little while to wrap my head around the subtractive building approach, but once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why any engines ever did it the other way around

Thanks that was very helpful! Ill take another shot at it.

The textures need to be in the PCTextures AND Textures. If you have subdirectories then that subdirectory needs to be copied as well.
    Thanks, that works (though it's quite a chore). However, I am getting mixed resultls using custom textures. For instance, I have created .dds files, created a new utx package to keep them separate from the official textures and so on, and when I come to use them the fleshrenderer in the editor doesn't seem to like them, ie. it shows the default grey blobby textures in the viewport. However, when I test the level, the textures are there! And back in the editor when I switch back to a normal textured view, they are there too. This would be ok, except I am using a 9800 pro and get a lot of crashes with the default texturer, and so was trying to stick the the flesh renderer!

Anyway, I'm thinking there are maybe some options in the .dds save as dialog that I can choose that the editor prefers - there are a lot of options in there, after all. Does anyone have any information on this?

Also, how does the editor go about linking diffuse maps and normal maps - do you have to use 3ds max and the create matlibs?

cheers
    str8g8

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake
    What zip files ?

Given that there are no T3 fm's out yet, and the method of distribution and file structure for fm's has not yet been fully worked out, it's hard to know what you refer to.

If the zip contains a .unr file, then you need to place it in the maps directory and load it into the editor then compile/run it.

I meant 1 zip file on the tread with the unfinished mission for T3

But editor crashes when i try to play the mission. It shows the loading screen but when the bar fills i hit enter and crashes to desktop.

Hi!

I have a problem with freehand polygon drawing. I put the vertexes on the grid, then right-click, Create Brush. The brush I get is usually ok, but sometimes the editor draws not only the outline of the brush (for example a hexagon), but diagonals as well. This ruins the whole stuff, because after substracting the bottom of the brush is gone or are big holes on it.(and through these you can see the nice blue grid of the editor in Fleshrender mode. )
    Sir Balu

Static Mesh browser question

The Static Mesh browser in T3Ed is awkward to use due to the way the viewport behaves. It's difficult to get a sense (and sometimes even find) of the mesh in the viewport, and takes forever to get a sense what kind of meshes are available.

Is there any other way to browse through the static meshes, see what they look like, have them categorized if possible, with some properties like dimensional info next to them? It would be extremely useful to have something like that. Would it be difficult to construct an external static mesh browser, simply for the sake of learning what they look like and what's available?

Or is there a simple way to do that, which I'm just not aware of?
    Last edited by mol; 18th Apr 2005 at 09:39.

sirbalu, be sure you are laying down the vertices in a way that goes around your brush. Does that make sense? Hm. What I mean is, don't just lay points whereever you need them, but actually lay them as if you were tracing the outside of the brush.

If you want to make a square, for instance (follow the numbers):

Don't:

1 3
    2 4

Do:

1 2
    4 3

I've found that usually prevents what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kin
    I meant 1 zip file on the tread with the unfinished mission for T3

But editor crashes when i try to play the mission. It shows the loading screen but when the bar fills i hit enter and crashes to desktop.
    Do you mean Krypt's unfinished mission ?

In that case did you happen to notice where he said that after his most recent changes that it would load in the editor but crash in the game ? Someone further down the thread released a "fixed" version of it that does actually run in the game...

Can anybody help me with a simple 3DSMAX task?

Basically, I am looking for an online tutorial or some simple instructions from you guys for making a very simple object (i.e. a crate) in 3DSMAX, texturing it, and then importing it into the editor. All of the tutorials I've looked at are for far more complicated tasks such as animating humans and dealing with more complex objects. I just want to make a textured crate that I can import as a static mesh.

Cheers.

Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415202530354045505560 ... LastLast