TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516212631364146515661 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

Administrator
    Hogwash - There's a thread right here. There's also StaticMeshes.

It's not a modeling tutorial, however. This at UnrealWiki might be useful.

On outdoor levels - don't subtract a huge brush. If you look at the production levels you'll notice that all the streets are carved out so that they are geometrically separate zones to cut down on the number of polys rendered.
    Could you elaborate on this a little? Surely you have to do more than that to get a sky and so on. Are the buildings that line a street bsp, or static meshes? I've opened up the city levels, but as I'm new to unrealed I can't really make head nor tail of them ...

cheers
    str8g8

You got it

St8g8,

Yep, the buildings in the game are static mesh. Almost everything in the original missions is static mesh; I assume because artists were used to 3dsmax rather than UnrealEd.

As for getting a sky, there is a thread here ... somewhere.

first- you make a room out in the middle of nowhere.
    second- apply textures to the wall of the room (sky stuff)
    third- place a SkyZoneInfo* actor** in the middle of the room
    fourth- any wall in your level (usually the top of an outside room) select that wall in the 3d view, right-click, select properties, and then check the "fake backdrop" box.

Assuming my instructions don't suck, WALLAH.

NOTE:
    **actor is an object placed in your map from the actor class list.
    To place an actor, build your level, select the actor in the list, right-click on your map near where you want it, and select 'add ACTOR_NAME'

*SkyZoneInfo actor is under, Actor->MetaData->Info->SkyZoneInfo

Hope this was helpful.

Hate to bug you taffers, but regarding the static mesh browser: are we stuck with what we have, or is there a better way to browse what kind of meshes are available, what they look like, what their dimensions are etc., than using the broken static mesh browser that comes with the T3Ed?

Thing is, I find it difficult to build stuff when I don't even know what kind of 'building blocks' (i.e. static meshes) are available. It would be great to be able to browse through a catalog of sorts just to see what's available.

Administrator
    The best way, mol, is to drop a number of static meshes into a level for reference, and then make notes on the ones you need.
    It isn't going to be possible to change the editor itself, so one just has to work round it.

Quote Originally Posted by mol
    Hate to bug you taffers, but regarding the static mesh browser: are we stuck with what we have, or is there a better way to browse what kind of meshes are available, what they look like, what their dimensions are etc., than using the broken static mesh browser that comes with the T3Ed?

Thing is, I find it difficult to build stuff when I don't even know what kind of 'building blocks' (i.e. static meshes) are available. It would be great to be able to browse through a catalog of sorts just to see what's available.
    Broken static mesh browser ??

Seems to work fine for me. The only problem I notice with it, is that the first time you open it, the viewport is not facing the origin of the static mesh, so you just see the gridlines.

All you have to do is (from memory) hold right mouse over they viewport and scroll in a down-right direction to bring the mesh into view. Once that is done you can single click other meshes in the list and view instant previews of them....

You can move your view around the same way you do with the 3d view in the main editor using left, right, or both mouse buttons...

Or are you refering to some other problem ?

Thanks, both of you guys.

No, that's what I mean, the viewport faces the wrong way initially, it is very small, and sometimes it's difficult to find the mesh etc.

This is what Krypt said about it:
    Originally posted by Krypt:
    The mesh browser view window is different from how it was when I used it while making the game. It acts as though the window is actually larger than what it shows, but you can only see the upper-left corner of it. The center of your view seems to be out of the window, so it's kind of hard to move around in it. You could move in it about as easily as the normal view window when I used it... dunno what happened
    In a sense, it's slightly 'broken'. I can move around in the mesh browser window just as in the 3D viewport, and while I'm still not comfortable with that, at least it's working.

I'll go ahed with your suggestion, Scumble. Thanks. I just thought that someone with coding skills might hack together an external application just for browsing the meshes, but it's easy to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by mol
    Thanks, both of you guys.

No, that's what I mean, the viewport faces the wrong way initially, it is very small, and sometimes it's difficult to find the mesh etc.

This is what Krypt said about it:
    Yeah, I remember Krypt's post about that, however I don't think its a case of only seeing the top left of a larger window, but rather that the viewport is simply facing the wrong way to begin with.

If it really was showing only the top left quadrant of a larger window when you moved "forward" things along the centre line would move off to the bottom right, but they don't.

Yes its annoying having to rotate the viewport when first opening it, but it only takes me a couple of seconds now, and its no more annoying than remembering to press Cancel instead of OK in the script editor (And making that mistake costs you several minutes waiting time.....)

I'm curious, does anyone (Krypt ? Harwin ?) know why the static mesh browser was changed before the public release of the editor ?

All right, this is killing me, so it must be a simple solution. How do I assign a DIFFERENT value to loot, such as a goblet. I put a goblet into my test map this morning and when I frobbed it the value was 75. How do I change this? Can I change this?

Objectives

When I create an objective in the Conversations editor, the objects work fine but the text won't show in the game. That's because I get the following error message:

error image

I checked 3 times if all files are not read-only, and I still get this message.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AMN; 20th Apr 2005 at 18:11.

...the value was 75. How do I change this? Can I change this?
    I haven't tested, but it might be Inventory->SellPrice?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrake
    Yeah, I remember Krypt's post about that, however I don't think its a case of only seeing the top left of a larger window, but rather that the viewport is simply facing the wrong way to begin with.
    I don't think that's the only problem. The navigation in the window seems definitely off somehow. It feels different than in the normal 3D viewport of the editor.

I'm also wondering why the static mesh window can't be 100% lit. Now there seems to be a directional light source, which only lights up part of the mesh, making it harder still to make sense of the shape of it. If only the window could at least be resized. Oh, well. I guess I should stop bitching about it, since I'm incapable of correcting it myself. I'm certainly not helping the situation with this.

Re: Ojectives

Did you see the double slashes "\\"after your Thief3Edit path? You might want to make sure there's only one backslash afterwards in the conversation editor.

Quote Originally Posted by SneaksieDave
    I haven't tested, but it might be Inventory->SellPrice?

Yup, that was it. Outstanding!

SneaksieDave, I see your point and I figured this out myself as well. The real problem is that even if I go around the brush the editor makes diagonals.(not always, but often enough to be irritating) My first guess was that the editor connects those vertexes that are closer to each other than a certain distance. So I put them far away, but didn't help. It's odd, because after a restart it usually works fine. Editor bug perhaps?

Thanx!
    Sir Balu

Wish I had a dime for all my noob questions....

I'm having difficulty setting mission objectives. I followed the Wiki on Objectives but it didn't work. I did not see objectives when I started my map, which meant that nothing happened when I frobbed the goblet that was tied to the objective.

In toying around with it, I added the SeasideMansion objectives to my test level. This worked in that I saw them when I ran my map. But I only say a few of the 8 or 9 objectives. Swapping out the SeasideMansion objectives again for mine, they still didn't work.

My question is, in order to get the objectives to show up, all I should have to do is set the LevelInfo>Conversations value, create a conversation with a goal and end, and then queue up the Conversation on the playerStart actor, correct? What would cause this to not work? Do I need to set a difficulty in order for them to show? Any thoughts?

Oh, and there appears to be one small mistake in the Wiki on Objectives. It says to use the "Player>When player starts map, arriving from a different map" action, but that action doesn't exist under Player on my system, it's at the top level. Unless I misunderstood it.

More info on my unsuccessful objectives....

In the map that I'm working on, I set the LevelProperties>LevelInfo>ConversationName to SeasideMansion. I then set the playerStart script to queue the SeasideMansionObjectives. When running the map, I get the "pending" Seaside Mansion objectives.

I then change the LevelProperties>LevelInfo>ConversationName to "MyMap" conversation and then change the playerStart script to que "MyMapObjectives". When I run, I see no objectives.

I copied the SeasideMansionObjectives conversation to a new conversation MyMapObjectives2. Upon changing the ConversationName and script to use this conversation, I see no objectives when running.

What the heck am I doing wrong? Why does the SeasideMansion work but none of the ones I make or copy? It's got to be some setting on the conversation itself, but I checked all the apparent ones.

HELP!

[edit]
    Note: The SeasideMansionObjects, MyMapObjectives, and MyMapObjectives2 conversations all have my map (conveniently labelled "MyMap") as one of the maps associated with them. The MyMapObjectives has 3 pending goals and an end.
    Last edited by 2003MINI; 22nd Apr 2005 at 09:33.

HAHA!

When I run the "Analyze Data Corruption" option on the PlayerGarrett object in the conversation editor, I get:

TesterObjectives01:
    Goal [objStealit] has no schema assigned to it!

What does this mean and how do I fix it????

Can't subtract two adjacent brushes without errors...

Hi! I'm a newbie, and this is my first post. *waves*

And I have a stupid newbie question... I'm trying to make a trench in my map, so I can later on put water in it. My room is a subtracted cube, with no walls, set to 'hollow'. I'm making the trench out of a cylinder, cut in half using the Clip Brush tool. (I tried intersect/deintersect, but one of them cut out the wrong bit of the cylinder and the other one gave me some weird complicated brush that looked a bit like a warped combination of the original cylinder and the part of the cylinder that I wanted to keep - any ideas what's going on here?)

So I position the builder brush where I want, click subtract, and rebuild everything.

Yay, I now have a trench. BUT...

It looks fine from here, I can see into the trench and everything:

...but if I move the camera into the trench, the trench appears to be covered:

Also, if I go Tools -> Check Map For Errors, I get errors on both the trench brush and the builder brush. [EDIT: Also, the error messages there are blank, except for a single box character, which looks like how Notepad renders Unix newlines.]

I have grid snap on, and the grid is at 16 units. I also had this problem with a cube brush, so it's not just limited to crazy clipped cylinder shapes. What am I doing wrong? Should the room brush not be set to hollow?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by Crispy; 23rd Apr 2005 at 09:25.

*waves back*

Set brush to hollow?
    wtf? Haven't even found that button. So no, if you're subtracting a brush it's already hollow to the extent that the inside surfaces are the ones you collide with, and the walls are just the ones around the edges.

Otherwise, try rightclicking on the vertices of the brushes when you've got them selected, to force them onto the grid too. They probably are, but it helps sometimes to remind the program.

Originally posted by 2003MINI
    I'm having difficulty setting mission objectives. I followed the Wiki on Objectives but it didn't work. I did not see objectives when I started my map, which meant that nothing happened when I frobbed the goblet that was tied to the objective.
    I worked on this all day and got it to work using d'Spairs Basic Mission Tutorial in the wiki. None of my objectives showed up until I added in the %loot, special loot and difficulty settings. It's a bit involved, but covers everything!

I mean the "hollow" checkbox in the CubeBuilder dialog, that comes up when you right-click the cube brush icon. I was setting hollow to true and the wall width to 0, for some stupid reason known only to my then-malfunctioning brain.

I tried it out with a new level, and I think that's my problem. If I create a 256x256x256 brush next to a 512x512x512 brush, both with Hollow set to true and wall width set to 0, I get the behaviour I described. If I do exactly the same thing with Hollow set to false, it works perfectly.

Conclusion: Hollow==true + WallThickness==0 + Subtract = EVIL EVIL EVIL DON'T DO IT. (Now that my brain has rebooted and appears to be functioning normally, Hollow==true and WallThickness==0 seems like a bad combination anyway, regardless of brush operation.)

My level is really screwed up now... there's an empty space in a certain area that T3Ed seems to be treating as subtracted (even though there are no brushes there), so subtracting anything else from it fails, and intersecting the builder brush with it makes that part of the builder brush get deleted, except for what looks like a zero-width segment. So I'm going to try deleting and recreating all my "hollow" brushes, and seeing if that helps. If not, I'll have to delete my whole level and start from scratch.

Oh well. At least I found this out earlier rather than later, when it could actually matter.

I've been wondering about the way the TDS editor saves certain types of data, so I know what files I need to copy to try to make an fm (or to backup things). In particular:

Is the gamesys only in T3Gamesys.t3u or in several files (what about T3Game.t3u)? I noticed a gamesys directory, but that might just be because I accidently went into the unreal script editor. Also, how do I export the gamesys? If I remember correctly, I only saw menu items to export a specific class, not the entire gamesys.

What about scripts? It looks like they're in multiple files with ID numbers instead of names, so you have to copy a whole set of scripts at once... Is it possible to replace a single specific script?

What does "publishing" a model mean, and why is it neccessary? (particularly if I don't think I've changed it)

Thanks for any answers!

Gildoran:
    Not sure on all this, but I think if you compile an ibt file it contains a copy of the gamesys (so there can be different ones between FMs, though since I'm not messing with mine this is one I'm really not sure on), and a copy of the saved scripts, so while it's okay just to hit the okay button on the trigger script browser while testing, make sure you save before distribution (reasonably sure on this - my testing friend can't load the last verion I sent him and is getting script errors, though I hadn't saved the script changes I made between versions).

Publishing Static Meshes. Again not too sure, but I think its for when the skin on it doesn't match one in the SM Browser (right click the smesh, and use the submenu at the bottom to check/correct). Publishing it just adds it to the browser, so you can add the reskin easier.... Maybe, again not something I'm using, though I think a non-published one might not compile into the ibt properly.

Hopefully someone can give you more coherent and acurate answers.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that publishing the skin just meant saving the skin, so that it was reloaded correctly later. I think it was in the wiki... *looks* Here, I think this was it: http://www.ttlg.com/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=Texturing and scroll down to "To apply a texture to a static mesh".

But if publishing a static mesh is a different thing from publishing a skin, then I don't know. (I can't imagine that it would be, though, seeing as there's not much else about a static mesh that you can change in the editor.)

Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516212631364146515661 ... LastLast