TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 12 of 88 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

Still no luck on objectives via conversations. Here's what I have. One goal, pending objective, and one goal, pending note. Also I have the "end" entry. When doing the file->compile, I get no pop-up. When doing "Analyze Data Corruption" on playerGarret, I get:

TesterObjectives:
    Goal [objStealit] has no schema assigned to it!
    Goal [objNote01] has no schema assigned to it!

The "repair schema" and the other schema option on the file menu are grayed-out. All the pre-made conversations, when the goals are editted, have an unselectable tag something like SeasideMansion_000100 or something like that. But the ones I make do not.

My questions are:
    1) does anyone else have the "analyze data corruption" issue?
    2) does anyone else have the unselectable text in their objectives after creation
    3) can anyone else callup the file->schema tools in the conversation browser.

Without solving this, i'm unfortunately stuck indefinately. Thanks for any help.

2003MINI, when you added your new conversation under PlayerGarrett, did the program run through the whole "Loading Schemas" routine? When you right click/edit your schema name, does your map name show up in the popup window? Did you save before compiling? I'm not trying to point out the obvious, but I need more info to try to figure out what happened.

Nomad,

Yes, please ask the obvious, since I'm obviously missing something. No, it didn't load the schemas when I added my conversation. That must be the issues. When I did the file->save, file->compile, file->export, nothing really changed and it took about 2 seconds. When I right-clicked the conversation, I had to add the map name.

Why wouldn't it do the schema loading when I add a conversation?

[edit]
    Also, the "Generate Schema" and "Repair Schema" are still grayed out on the PlayerGarret object.

Do "Generate Schema" and "Repair Schema" show up on the other headings? It shows up on all of mine.

Try this. Make a copy of your conversation. Paste it as any name you want. Try to save, compile and export again. If the schemas still don't load, delete your new conversation. I got the schemas to load when I deleted a copy of my conversation. Maybe you can force them to load that way.

I tried the copy/paste and a delete. Neither worked. I did it on my conversation and the pre-made ones. No go.

I'm wondering if my schema files are somehow corrupt. What do they consist of and how large should they be? I checked for obvious things such as not being read-only.

It's this way on both of my PCs. The Generate Schema and Repair schema options are grayed out for all the conversations in the browser.

[edit]
    Interesting finding. My \CONTENT\T3\Conversations folder contains a file for each of the maps that came with the game, but not for the one I made. Do you have an entry here for yours? My map is Tester01. I added it in the conversation browser to my objectives, but it didn't appear in the directory. Should it?
    Last edited by 2003MINI; 26th Apr 2005 at 17:39.

My map shows up in the Conversations folder. I think that's done when you compile or export. Did you have to type in your map name or did it show up in the list? (I'm assuming your map is in the Map folder?)

When you open the Schema Browser for the first time after opening T3ED, does it load all 16000 schemas?

Yes, The TesterMap is in the MAP folder. I had to type the name in the first time in the conversation browser, but now it is always there.

The schemas in the schema browser load when I open it. But those are just sound schemas, correct? Or is that the step I am missing? I've always done everything from the conversation browser and never used the schema browser. The load time on my PC is a few minutes for all the schemas. Seems to be about 15400 or so.

I also noticed that when I do the file->export, I get a message indicating that the objectives are saved in CONTENT\T3\Books\EMObjectives.sch. Is this correct?

Thanks for all the help on this one.

-2003MINI
    Last edited by 2003MINI; 26th Apr 2005 at 20:10.

Damn! I'm running out of ideas.

Exports to CONTENT\T3\Books\EMObjectives.sch is correct.

I'm not sure why it does it, but when I created my conversation, it did open up the schemas, all 15400 of them. Maybe if you open the Schema Browser and then Save, Compile and Export? That might trick it into working.

Also, on your Level Properties, do you have the level name listed under LevelInfo:Title and the conversation package listed under LevelInfo:Conversations? Not sure if that's relevant to your problem, but couldn't hurt.

I think your problem is that the Conversation browser doesn't have access to the Schemas, but I'm not sure why. Maybe my first suggestion here will help. If not, we might have to dig deeper into the Schemas.

Thanks for the info.

I swear, if this doesn't fix it, I'm just going to wipe it out and re-install the whole thing. The fact that this seems to be unique to me and my setup must indicate some problem along the way, although I do have the same behaviour on 2 PCs.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for all the help on this.

just wondering that if there are cats and rats, would someone be able to make new animals for TS

Holy crap. I figured it out. During the re-install, I noticed that the following lines were not in my user.ini.....

[Conversations]
    SchemaChangesAllowed=true

I want to blame my XP system and the different user account crap that XP uses to block files, but I'm sure in the end it's just my own fault I know I read the instructions and put those lines somewhere previously, but it must not have been the right file.

Thanks for the help Sneaksie and Nomad. I have other issues now, such as the fact that the other PC has my conversations but not the schemas for them. I'll have to delete them. But the good news is that I can now generate schemas and move forward.

-2003Mini
    Last edited by 2003MINI; 27th Apr 2005 at 23:33.

Glad you got it to work!

Now make me a nice FM!

Now make me a nice FM
    LOL. Working on it. This morning's problem-solving session was moving the editor to a directory that didn't have spaces in the name (what a silly bug). After that, I was FINALLY able to get the game to show my objectives.

YAY!

All this down-time has allowed me to come up with some rather interesting objectives. Can't wait to put them all in a mission.

-2003MINI

Viper1_3 thanks for that

I have got a skybox working now, but after much experimenting a couple of things are still bugging me:

1. using the starfield (in SKYSTUFF I think) I don't need to light the skybox brush, when I put in my own texture, I do - ie, without a light, in the skybox brush, I just get a black sky). After looking around on the unreal wiki, I thought I'd figured it out - make the surfaces in the brush flagged as "unlit" - which should in theory light the skybox evenly, ie without shading - exactly what a skybox needs ... but no joy. I also tried making the texture itself "unlit" via its properties. No joy either. So ... is the "unlit" surface tag not supported in T3?

2. Following on from this I experimented using a static mesh sky box, but there it seems to use the lowest level mip map in the dds ... is there any way to force it to use a better one?

3. I checked out the sky in Docks, and the surfaces I expected to be flagged as "Fake backdrop" weren't, so is there another, better method for creating skies that the TDS team used?

cheers
    str8g8

I would guess that the "fullbright" property of the skyboxes has to be set on the texture itself. If you apply a sky texture to a normal in-game surface, you'll notice that nearby lighting won't affect it at all. Having said that, I have no idea where to set that property. Sorry.

Now on to my own question: (Nomad asked a similar one earlier on in this thread, but nobody answered and I don't know if his question was exactly the same, so... yeah.)

I've created my own subclass of an existing weapon, and I want to give it to my AIs. It's not available in the weapon loadout window, though. I've tried connecting it to the AI using a RigidAttachment, but it just causes the weapon to be attached to the AI - the AI refuses to actually use it as a weapon. (I've taken away its usual weapon.) Is it actually possible to give custom weapon classes to AIs as weapons, or do I have to modify the existing class?

Edit: Hm, never mind. Turns out it was because I'd changed the WeaponStance; presumably the actor I'm editing doesn't support that WeaponStance. How annoying. I don't suppose there's any way around this?

Also, how do you actually modify what the weapon does? (Its range, its damage, whether it's a melee weapon, etc.)

Edit 2: I should stop asking questions I'm capable of partially answering myself. :P For AIs, some of these properties (like expected range) are under AIWeapon - I was looking under Weapon. Damage for melee weapons is Weapon->WeaponStimulus (for damage type) and Weapon->WeaponStimulusAmount (for damage amount). I did find damage for projectile weapons, but I can't find it again now.

Score one for not being observant...
    Last edited by Crispy; 29th Apr 2005 at 07:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    I've created my own subclass of an existing weapon, and I want to give it to my AIs. It's not available in the weapon loadout window, though. I've tried connecting it to the AI using a RigidAttachment, but it just causes the weapon to be attached to the AI - the AI refuses to actually use it as a weapon. (I've taken away its usual weapon.) Is it actually possible to give custom weapon classes to AIs as weapons, or do I have to modify the existing class?

Edit: Hm, never mind. Turns out it was because I'd changed the WeaponStance; presumably the actor I'm editing doesn't support that WeaponStance. How annoying. I don't suppose there's any way around this?

Also, how do you actually modify what the weapon does? (Its range, its damage, whether it's a melee weapon, etc.)
    In my experimentation, it seemed that all you needed to do to make a weapon functional was to make sure blsWeapon = True, and that WeaponStance was set to one of the valid choices. In fact the WeaponStance seemed to be the more important of the two.

Many of the weapon stance choices don't seem to work, so make sure that you're actually using one that works. (By copying off an existing weapon)

As far as I know, all the humanoid AI's seem to be able to use each others weapons (although I havn't tried every possible combination....) for example you can give a sword to a hamerite, or a hammer to a cityguard.

They automatically get the appropriate animations due to the WeaponStance setting, so it looks like we may be stuck with a fixed set of possible weapon action types, unless someone comes up with some more animation frames and a way to activate them.

By the way, attaching an instance of a weapon actor to the appropriate "bone" of an AI works just as well as using the weapon loadout, (they "know" to use the weapon) which means you can directly edit the properties of the instance of the weapon instead of editing the archetypes all the time, which is very handy while experimenting.

You can also add more than one weapon this way. For example try giving a guard both a hammer and a sword, (be sure to attach them to the right bones) and they will carry both holstered. When the AI draws its weapon it seems to choose one at random. One time it will chose the hammer, another time the sword

The same applies for having both a bow and a sword/hammer, unfortunately I havn't found a way to tell the AI *which* weapon to draw based on something, such as the reachability of the player. (Making them draw a sword if you're near, or the bow if you're up a ladder)

Also the AI wont put away the sword and get the bow if necessary, although someone may figure out a way to script it...

Yeah, I did some more poking around in the gamesys since I posted that and came up with similar conclusions.

It seems my problem is that even humanoid AIs don't support the blackjack animation. (I really should have guessed that myself... but I can hope, right? Right. ) I'll have to make do with dagger or hammer (probably dagger, since its meant to be a one-handed weapon).

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    Yeah, I did some more poking around in the gamesys since I posted that and came up with similar conclusions.

It seems my problem is that even humanoid AIs don't support the blackjack animation. (I really should have guessed that myself... but I can hope, right? Right. ) I'll have to make do with dagger or hammer (probably dagger, since its meant to be a one-handed weapon).
    Ah yes, the blackjack doesn't work with any of the AI's.... I thought you were trying to exchange weapons between AI's - which does work.

I'm guessing that the player is a special case in the code and that there are no animation schemas for the blackjack for AI's.

I'm not sure that AI's using blackjacks is all that useful anyway. They would have to have additional scripting to know they need to sneak up on someone else for it to work, otherwise you'll just see thugs with blackjacks attacking guards to the response of "cutest little hit I ever got!", and "is that supposed to hurt!"

Oh, I wasn't giving them blackjacks - I was giving them my own customised weapon, which would have looked good with a blackjack-like animation.

I'm using the sword animation at the moment. It's not perfect, but it'll do.

Quick question:

Is there any way I can remove the compass from the HUD and thus have no visible interface?

Mandrake, how does an AI know whether or not to swing its weapon at Garrett? What I mean is, the AIs obviously "know" when Garrett is within range of their weapons because they dont start swinging or firing arrows when he's not in range. So what tells a Hammerite that its time to start swinging the hammer, cause Garretts right in front of him? Something must tell the AI its time to swing, its seems to me. Either the AI knows or the weapons itself perhaps?

IF these assumptions are correct, then would it not be possible to construct a decision priority tree for range/melee AIs? For example:

Guard sees Garrett. Guard or its weapon "knows" that Garrett is X distance away or at least out of range. If X > the bows range, then Guard runs towards Garrett, sounding alarms and threats. If (or when) X = max. bow range or X < max. bow range, Guard uses ranged fire. For all intents and purposes its a ranged AI until such time as Garrett comes within Y, the range of the melee weapon. When the Guard or the weapon detect Garrett at Y, a new value triggers a new script and weapons are switched, melee commences, until the time that Garrett moves to a distance > Y. ( There would have to be a delay for the AI to switch from melee to range though because the player could exploit the switch, keeping the AI in a permanant state of exchanging weapons while pumping arrows into him.)

I have no idea how to script such a thing but again assuming that somehow the AI knows the distance, or at least whether or not Garrett is within reach of a particular weapon class, it seems that those values could be used to initiate a chain of reactions like the above.

Sounds reasonable. There's a property (don't quite remember the name now) that lets you override the distance over which AIs consider melee to be possible. I'm not sure what happens if you don't override it; possibly the distance is extrapolated from the animation and the size of the weapon mesh.

In any case, the condition "While linked object(s) [MYSELF] are within [Float] unreal units from linked object(s) [PLAYER]" sounds like it should work for detecting range.

Then, to swap the weapons, the most straightforward way would be to destroy one weapon and create the other, possibly using these actions:

To destroy the old weapon: Delete linked object(s) [RigidAttachment]
    To create the new weapon: Spawn object of [Class] and create a [RigidAttachment] link from spawned object to this object

Unfortunately, this would also delete all other rigidly attached objects; like eyeballs and teeth. This might look slightly odd.

You could probably write a script to recreate those other objects ("Spawn object type at end of [LinkFlavor] at hard point [String] on linked object(s) [LinkFlavor]" perhaps), but I can't think of a way to do so seamlessly; you'd have to specify every individual RigidAttachment object. And so the scripting required would vary between AI types.

Don't have time to test it myself right now; I'll do so later if nobody decides to take up the challenge in the meantime.

Hmmm, Im betting there isnt any kind of animation or scripting for the bowmen to "sling bow" across their backs or anything. Is tht why you have to destroy it?

There are draw/sheath weapon animations; to see one, just alert a guard so he draws his weapon. Then run away, and hide somewhere where you can see him searching, and eventually he'll sheath it. It is possible to play animations through scripts; you'd just have to find the name of the appropriate animation.

Anyway, I wasn't even thinking about animations when I wrote that; I propose deleting the weapons only so that we're assured of the AI using the weapon we want them to use. If they're using a sword and we just give them a bow, it will probably just keep using the sword (and I don't see any way to tell them to switch weapons). But if we also delete the sword, they'll have no choice but to select the bow.

Crispy, are you saying that the AIs are only aware of the first weapon they have attached to them? They dont even know they have the other, its just "glued" to their hips? In other words, each AI only has one memory "slot" for a weapon? If so, yikes.

BUT I still want to know how the AIs know how far away Garrett is, why they dont start swinging swords and hammers and firing arrows even if hes only just in sight, not range. I if we can identify the coding that governs how the AIs "know" Garretts range, maybe some kind of loop could be coded that even after the AI has unsheathed a particular weapon, it will continue to check for Garretts range even as it attacks.(e.g. firing bow) When the AI receive a particular new value from its "scan" it fires a command to sheath weapon, then somehow make the thing "forget" its bow and trigger unsheath sword. If the AI only has one "slot" for memory, somehow we have to find a way to trigger a sequence that will actively pop different values in and out of that "slot."

I know the swords/hammers have animations for sheathing, I could not remember about the bowmen though. BTW how would one access these animations? I would like to try to tweak a hammerite to see if I can increase the frequency of the overhead swing attack, to try to deal with the crouching defense.

Page 12 of 88 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617222732374247525762 ... LastLast