TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 38 of 88 FirstFirst ... 381318232833343536373839404142434853586368737883 ... LastLast

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

They're BSP errors - if you look up the page to Tithian's question and the responses, you should be able to figure it out. General tips: always have snap to grid turned ON, and when you're in vertex editing mode, right click on the nodes as you're going along (which snaps them to the grid just in case they aren't already). Also run Report Off-Grid BSP Brushes from the Tools menu and tidy up whatever it comes up with.
    cheers, I'll attempt a solution later this evening. I just used to get nightmares like HoM when I was a kid so it freaks me out even now !! (falling through nothignness = not nice)

edit; no its still not going, I even thought it migh be from manual wobble in vertex editing so I redid the whole thing using numerivally enred values for brushes. It jsut cuts all over the place one area seemed to be effecting it so its gone but now I stil ahve cuts here; http://usera.imagecave.com/why5511/irkedjpg.JPG

please help this is frustrating
    Last edited by The Trickster; 13th Mar 2006 at 15:00.

I know this is frustrating!! BSP in t3ed is definitely evil in my oppinion? so you have looked at the handy tutorial yet? If not here is the link once more: http://www.planetunreal.com/phalanx/...torial_bsp.htm . We can't give you anymore advices than those in the tutorial... Just avoid too complex brushes or make them semisolid. Especially stairs and roofs should be made semisolid, because they decrease the amount cuts very much, though some people say that it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad of the pacific
    The Staff probably don't have skeleton animations for attacks. Try using another combatant and changing their skin to that of a Staff
    It did cross my mind, but Bardic did it in Forgotten Stash so it can't be that.

Edit: Trickster, one little clue that sometimes helps is that the plane of the hall of mirrors/hole in the wall "slice" usually leads to where the problem is. Of course you don't know what direction it's in, but it's a start. Also (and this one took a frustrating few hours to work out), if you have a skybox make sure it's WELL out of the way. I had big slices out of my main hall that were driving me crazy until I worked that one out.
    Last edited by GlasWolf; 13th Mar 2006 at 15:29.

to The Trickster:

It's also worth remembering that sometimes you just seem to get a broken couple of brushes. Find where the problem seems to be coming from and try rebuilding the brushes.

Also, STiFU found that sometime things just go bork with subtracted brushes, but if you Add to the world before you take anything out that seems to go away.

Yepp. But in my theory that method is just a way of hiding those errors while they are caused somewhere else. But sometimes you just can't find the errors source, so hiding it is not a very clean procedure but it saves much of your nervers. (mind you that bsp errors can cause not-working zoneportals too, which will piss you off later on probably too^^)

Thanks guys, I will try a remake from scratch (not too much work) and if not try that, I tried the tutorial and go rid of one set of slice 'n' dice lines.
    Its just that I never had this problem with UT2K4 or DeusEx SDK/Ed.

EDIT, some time later; The editor for me is utter $^&@. I added some static meshes and then more walls disappear. Even though the meshes are no where near the walls. This editor is bugged to death IMO.
    Last edited by The Trickster; 13th Mar 2006 at 19:14.

Static meshes shouldn't be affecting the bsp...
    Something very weird going on there.

Yeah definitely. It is no problem when static meshes intersect (don't know if that is the right word) with you bsp. It is rather a very common procedure, if you take a look at the other author's FMs. I can just say that you need to take care how you edit the vertices of a brush. Its probably that what you are doing wrong there. Have you taken a look at this post yet?

I used to use the brush method by re entering numerical values a lot to get precise measurements. I switched to vertex editing after following a tutorial (I always follow a tutorial to see what is different + you learn stuff) but now I hate it, its not very precise and your accuracy is as good as your mouse accuracy.

I tend to find vertex manipulation is as accurate as your grid settings.

Until now I've never needed to add any custom textures to my map, but now the time has come. I haven't found any tutorial about this so I am trying to get into that on my own and with the threads here. But as you probably guessed yet, there is a problem.

I have exported a picture (2048x512, while I checked 1024x256 too) with Gimp 2 and the gimpsdds plugin 1.0.1 into .dds with dxt3 (also tried dxt1 and 2 ) and moved it into the t3ed textures folder. Then I used 3ds 5.1 to assign that dds file to the first diffuse channel of the ionshader and Clicked Material > Put Material to Library. I have made and opened a new .mat library called vee before. Now I use matexport to convert the mat file to a mlb file and placed it in the t3ed matlib folder. When I import that matlib now into t3ed, the program seems to load it but afterwards the textures aren't added.... Can anyone tell me what I did wrong here?
    Last edited by STiFU; 16th Mar 2006 at 13:22.

No idea about new matlibs, but you can get str8g8's custom matlib here. Just rename your texture to the same as one of these existing ones and paste it into the folder - it'll then show up in the editor and the game.

I tried it with that custom matlib, but its exactly the same! So I assume that I am doing something wrong when exporting the picture to dds.... Mind you I am totally Noob (sorry for that word, but it really fits best here ) at drawing textures and everything related to that!
    Last edited by STiFU; 16th Mar 2006 at 13:39.

If you have max, then you shouldn't need to use my custom matlib. Is your texture in both pctextures and textures folders? Plus every time you change it and export it, you have to copy it over.

Yeah had it on both folders. Perhaps you could just give me a step by step tutorial how you exported your skybox for example into the dds format. Are there any things I have to think of, when doing that, like the texture should be a multiple of 2? Do the pictures need a certain colordepth? I really don't know what i could be doing wrong here...

Edit: Don't ask me why but it suddenly started to work inclusive my own mlb file... t3ed I love you!!
    Last edited by STiFU; 16th Mar 2006 at 16:12.

To Glaswolf and of some interest.

I added some Cradle Shadows into a mission to test and see why they aren't attacking for Glaswolf. The female doesn't attack, she just runs up to you and stands there, but the male does atack. So I don't know if the easiest thing is to make all Male AI, but give some the female skin and sounds.

Ahh, thanks Bardic, I've only been using the female AI up until now.

Can one specify the sounds associated with a static mesh? Specifically, the sound made when Garrett walks on a static mesh or hits it with his dagger.

Thanks,

Jeff

I think there's a sound over-ride property you can add.

Not sure if that's true, or if it works, but I think I remember seeing one.

And if that doesn't work neither you'll have to setup your own texture library, because the sound a surface makes is defined by its material.

One little trick I've used is to use the invisible wall smeshes and texture them with whatever the object is supposed to sound like. This is handy if you resize a smesh and need to rig a fake collision hull up manually.

please excuse a Ravening Noob...

I'm thinking of making a mod for Deadly Shadows, but I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with the limitations of the game's engine and editor. I was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions...

1. Are Deus Ex-style cinematics possible? By which I mean, does the editor still have Camera Points, and can I use them to make in-game cutscenes?

2. Can I import custom music, and if so, how?

3. Is it possible to make large-scale outdoor areas? I'd like to kick off my mod with a slow "flyby" over a port district, starting out in the harbor. Is this too grandiose?

4. How do conversations work? Is it possible to create custom conversations?

5. Can I make subtitles or text display on-screen?

6. Are atmospheric effects like rain availabe?

I think that's all for now. If most or all of these prove impossible, I'll probably end up going back to Deus Ex, but I'd really like to work with an engine from this century. Thanks for any help!

This isn't the engine you want corvuscorax.

1 - Kind of. We have matinee paths that affect the player camera, so you can't do anything like Jock's helicopter with the interpolation points, but you can do rough flybys so long as everything else is engineered seperately

2 - erm. Don't know. Probably, but it'd need patching the schema files, so wouldn't be too distributable (can still be done - we can patch them rather than have to post the whole thing just so long as you don't want to modifiy any of the original sounds)

3 - Depends on what you want. So long as you're careful with lights and masked textures and particles, and don't mind it not having many (if any) stencil-shadows you can have quite large areas, and if it's just a fly-by you can probably cheat with some careful use/design of static meshes.

4 - Again needs to patch the schema files, but they're possible. How they work I'm not so sure on, but I think they can just be triggered by scripts like most other things (note - that's TriggerScripts, not the more useful/powerful unrealscript we're talking about here)

5 - Yes. Not sure on subtitles, but I'm sure it was an option TDS inherited from DXIW, and you can have non-blocking text (though they always display for like 5 seconds, so you don't have a huge amount of control over them)

6 - Depends on how you want it. You can do particle/sprite rain: search these forums and why back there was a few threads about it, and it's probably on the wiki (www.ttlg.com/wiki) by now - be careful though, it's more renderpasses and potential overdraw, so the engine might not like it in larger areas.

I suppose you can work here, but really, you probably want a full modern Doom/Unreal engine to work with. Maybe you should check if Oblivion has an editor/sdk, or I've heard good things about Morrowwind that might be more to you're tastes (and genearl workability)

another one...

I tried using the search function for this question, but it didn't return anything useful. Maybe I just wasn't using the right words.

Is there any way to play as someone other than Garrett? By which I mean, could I substitute a different mesh and/or skin and play as a new character? I know that with the Deus Ex Unreal engine it was a simple matter to create a custom player class... is it still as easy as that, or even possible anymore?

Thanks for any help.

Page 38 of 88 FirstFirst ... 381318232833343536373839404142434853586368737883 ... LastLast