TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 381318232833383940414243444546474853586368737883 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2177

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

teleport traps

hi all,anyone know if it is posible to create teleport traps in t3ed similar to the ones in drom??

Bueno Deminatsi! (Pardon my spelling. I haven't been to Bucharest in over thirty years.)

Create a volume. Give it a script:

Condition:
    When linked volume[s] [MYSELF] are breached by [Catagory Player]
    Actions:
    Teleport the player to DestinationTeleporter=[TD1] and use player's orientation=[FALSE] as opposed to using the teleporter destination orientation

Then create a starting point where you want the player to go and give it the property TeleportDestName TD1.

wow, really works!! thanks!. and another thing: how can i trigger the teleportation of an object/AI to a specified place when Garrett enters a room/place?

Change the Action in the script to:

Teleport the object[s] at end of [TriggerScript] to Destination Teleporter=[TD1]

And add a trigger link from the volume to the object. I think this will work for AI, too, but I haven't tried it.

hm...I m new here but I have a problem witch the Thief 3 Editor:
    I read KomagsTut for Thief 3 and Im by the point "make a new script".Now I want to click on the "new" button at the "Trigger Script Manager".And now the Error:Failed to open(C:\Programme\T3edit\\Content\T3\Trigger Script\tsid.txt)for writing. Maybe it`s read-only.

What I have to do now?

Locate the file and check its properties by right clicking on it. Under Attributes, Read-only and Hidden should be unchecked. If the file doesn't exist, create one in Notepad or Wordpad. It should say "1 4257", (without the quotes) I think. I've fiddled with mine, so I'm not sure of the original number. Any number higher than the highest file number in the Defs folder will work. Save the file and rename it to tsid.txt. If you still have problems, let us know.

Also, I see he has it in what I assume is the German equivalent of Program Files. I know a lot of people get cannot open errors when there are spaces in the path and things.

If Nomad's idea doesn't work, you might try moving your T3edit folder so it is just C:\T3edit. But then you will also have to make sure T3Launcher is pointing correctly again.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad of the pacific View Post
    Locate the file and check its properties by right clicking on it. Under Attributes, Read-only and Hidden should be unchecked. If the file doesn't exist, create one in Notepad or Wordpad. It should say "1 4257", (without the quotes) I think. I've fiddled with mine, so I'm not sure of the original number. Any number higher than the highest file number in the Defs folder will work. Save the file and rename it to tsid.txt. If you still have problems, let us know.

Thanks...now it will work!
    I build a little Mission for Thief 3.
    A little Test-mission.But who play Thief 3 FMs?All play Fms for Thief 1 and 2...but Thief 3...tsss^^

People will play it if you release it.

Not as many people perhaps as might play a TMA level, but people will play it.

I certainly will I have very positive attitude towards T3 FM's, especially after Str8g8's release. Do not give up, keep on trying!

I'm not sure how to make breakable glass. I've made glass with the brush and I've found the glass case in the actor browser but I'd have to piece them together to make one big piece and it looks lame.

Also, for the rope in the actor browser it says it can't find the skeletal mesh, but there is rope in the static mesh browser.

And finally, I made the static mesh rope climable, but getting off is not easy, any recommendations?

I've checked the wiki for this stuff and haven't found the solutions, if someone had the links, that would be great too. Thanks!!

Breakable glass is well, screwed.

If you open the Museum unr files you can copy and paste the display cases from it and it will work, but there's something missing somehow when people try to do it manually.

As for the ropes, well, you're a bit screwed to be honest - a lot of people have messed around with it though, so if you play a bit with the seach functions down this (T3Ed Guild) you'll likely find all the attempts. Since none of them worked so well it never made it to the wiki I don't think.

Sorry.

thanks, at least I'm not the only one who's screwed

Edit: I rescaled the glass through the properties and that seems to work.
    Last edited by Elimelek; 13th Jan 2007 at 17:23.

Is there a way to search the forums so I can see if someone has already asked a question?

Also, I can't find my surface properties window. I've looked everywhere (even my other pants)

Search tools on the bar at the top of the forums, or as a tab on the main sections.

As for the Properties window, erm..
    I know they sometimes end up on the edges of the screen, so you might have to hunt about for it. I think the placement is in one of the *.ini files too, but I'm not sure which (though editor.ini if you can find one might be a reasonable guess), or if you can force it to move using that.

Thanks, I feel really stupid for asking that search question now...

Any t3ed reference documentation available ?

Hi folks,

I'm working through some tutorials at the moment and wonder where the authors got their insights. Beyond the basics of mapping, there's often a deep knowledge of the object's properties. I searched the web, especially the unreal develpers network, but couldn't find something like a "api reference".
    Does everybody has to take "the long and winding road" ( test, trial and error ) or is there some kind of reference documentation for the objects, properties etc.
    available ?

Kind regards,
    masuatsu

Mostly it's trial and error I'm afraid.

A lot of the properties in TDS are labelled appropriately, and the more useful ones sometimes have the help-tip in the property browser (at the bottom when you select the Add properties thing).

Not all of them work, or do what you expect though - like Render>DrawScale only scales the visible model, not the collision hull as well, which can lead to all sorts of trouble, being where most of us learn about the Movement>Physics:Phys_None setting and T3ed's lack of clipping volumes

That or we disassemble the OMs to see how they've set things up. That can help a lot when you just want to replicate some effect.

Or just talk like we know what we're on about and stick to it till someone genuinely more knowledgable comes along to correct us

Or ask questions, of course. They don't belong in the Newbie thread here, but if people know the answers we tend to share, and you'll usually get one answer, a couple of "/shrugs, I don't know" and a few work arounds suggested.

Newbie Question on the Install

I've explicitly followed the directions from the ThiefEditing Wiki (which is ambiguous at parts, and incomplete), and am wondering what I do now to start the Editor. Using the T3 Starter as suggested, I get no response when I try to start the editor. (I have put in the commandline as suggested) When I try to start the game, it starts then crashes before reaching the menu. Can someone please elaborate on the installation process. Help is greatly appreciated.

Better take this tutorial for everything you want to do: KomagTutThief3 !

What am I doing wrong!

I have been working on an fm for about 2 months, I am only half done but wanted to try and get it working in the standard theif 3 game through garretloader, to make sure i am not wasting time.

I can get all the way in the game to where the player starts. However there is this crazy thing with the video, where it will not redraw the screen an make a ghost like trail all over the screen! It works fine in the editor t3.exe no problems at all. I know it is my fm only, because I tried others with garret loader and had no problems.

I tried all kinds of ways to fix it but nothing works.

Another thing is that when i create the ibt, i get a ridiculous amount of errors in the t3main.log, like 5 pages of them.

please let me know if this has happened to anyone else and if they have a cure.

thanks guys.

Don't worry. I think this is a known bug and it has something to do with including the shaders. At least that's what I remember. The others will be able to help you for sure...

It works now

thanks STiFU.

You made my day.

Seems the shaders do in fact need to be there, now i can finish my FM.

making a teleport from a book

Could someone help me, please?
    My idea is to make five teleports from five books. To teleport to five new rooms (other maps of this level) Garret will take five things (as a hammer, a bird ect.) and activate every book taching by its simbol - a hammer book with a hammer and ect.
    I`ve made this mesh as a key in inventory... made books fly... but the best I can do is to open a DOOR (not a book and teleport) by a hammer... I do not know what to do else...
    Is it possible? And how to do it?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English - I`m from Russia.

This is probably beyond the basic (newbie) questions thread, but yes, it is possible.

You do it with teleport Volumes, which are inactive: when the item is used on the book that should set off a script which activates the teleport volume. The volume script may need it's own "When this Volume is breached by [Category_Player]... type script.

Woosh and you're in the new location. Just remember to turn the volume off at the far end (otherwise *I think* you might end up teleporting everytime you go near the book, because the volume is still active)

I'm not sure if you can have the book show up while this is happening, but I don't see why not. I don't know how you force the book screens open though - I think Glaswolf knew though, so there's hope at least someone else around here can help with that if it's needed.

Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 381318232833383940414243444546474853586368737883 ... LastLast