TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 48 of 88 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384344454647484950515253586368737883 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 2180

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazonne View Post
    ...Edit: off-topic, but I've got to ask it: how the heck do you quote people...
    Try this:
    1) use a "quote"-button in the top right corner of a message, that you want to answer
    2) server will demand your name/password
    3) edit message but DO NOT TOUCH this [ QUOTE = *** ; 1111111 ] and this [ /QUOTE ]
    4) use "Submit Reply"-button

Good luck!

I try to do all of my big brushwork at 16, for outdoor areas and buildings. Then drop it to 4 or 8 for rooms, doors, general placement of objects, and making my walls the correct thickness. Finally 1 and 2 for tweaking of object, little nooks, and other things like that.

It is much easier to work on large things with the bigger size because you can easily see how far apart things are and that everything is snapped to the grid correctly.

Grid 1 or 2 bad.

Well, not really, but when you zoom out the lines move: you quickly lose the 1 or 2 spaced in favour of 8 or 16, then out further as you zoom out. But the grid snapping is still on the lower setting, so it's real easy to screw up where things are.

8 or 16 as a general size should do you for more or less everything, but sometimes you need to work lower: ultimately it's just quicker and more accurate (and less likely to overlap brushes) working at a size of grid close enough for what you do.

(Just as an aside: I think 1 and 2 size grids are fine in DromEd for the old games, because to them 1 DromUnit is about 16 UnrealUnits, so for them it's an okay size to work in, while 1 unit to us is about big enough for Garrett's nose)

Administrator
    It's not so much what grid size you work in that leads to trouble, it's over-complicated brushwork. You can only push it so far before the engine starts playing up. The Unreal brush tools aren't really designed for fine detail, that's why a lot of us have had to get into using 3DS max to provide the kind of detail we're after.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiens View Post
    Try this:
    1) use a "quote"-button in the top right corner of a message, that you want to answer
    2) server will demand your name/password
    3) edit message but DO NOT TOUCH this [ QUOTE = *** ; 1111111 ] and this [ /QUOTE ]
    4) use "Submit Reply"-button

Good luck!
    Flickering lights: I want to add some lightning effects to my level. My plan was to add some lightning bolts in the sky box among with some flickering lights and other such lights near the fake backdrop surfaces. It's just that I can't realize how to configure the flickering lights. I did set the behavior to lb flicker but the lb flicker param was a little confusing . Anyway I did put some values in that param property but still nothing.
    P.S: the lightning emitter looked a little screwed at the top. Is it me, or something else?
    Thanks in advance!

Flickering lights...
    ...lightning emitter looked a little screwed at the top...
    I can not catch what exactly effects you need, sorry... But I really like your idea...
    Which behaviour exactly did you set: the light flicker or the emitter flicker? And what exatly you want to flicker: the sky around or the flame emitter?

By the way... If you do not mind I can look at everything by myself... My language is too poor so I need to see the matter of our discussion, sorry!

Questions are welcome!

Tiens, I'm talking about lightning effects, just like in a night storm. I think there was a t2 contest(dromed beauty) fm that really impressed me in this way:The Clocktower by Ottoj55.
    I've found LightningBolt and LightningBolt2 in the emitter section of the actor browser.I want to add them in the skybox somewhere. Still, for the effect to be realistic I need some lights for the bolts.That is flickering lights. And I will add them in the skybox near the bolts(to light the clouds etc.) and near the fake backdrop surfaces(the light will come through some open windows, or broken roofs etc...).
    I figured out how to make the lights flicker: add a light, set it's behavior to LB_Flicker and add one more property LB_FlickerParam. This will set the way the light flickers.
    I still have to get the configuration for the param right, as light to appear when lightning strikes. Anyway, I won't add only one bolt and one light, because it will be impossible to sincronize them.I'll add more, even if you don't see the bolt of the light all times(it's like in reality).
    Another issue that I'm concerned about is that they'll be in a way repeating(in a storm, you don't see the bolts in the same place every time), but I think I'll trigger them(found a tutorial on the wiki).
    Hope I've been clear enough, and that this won't be too hard to read.

Have you thought about attaching one set of lights to a switch, and another set to another switch and so on, and on each switch set a script like

wait random numer of seconds between 5-25 seconds
    set all the lights at the end of triggerscript to on for .5 seconds
    repeat.

That ways some of the lightning bolts or the lights for them all light at the same time, but you randomize different sets.

Tiens, I'm talking about lightning effects, just like in a night storm...
    Oh, I got it! Let go to the sources!!!

The easiest way is :

1) go to Editor/.../Maps and find SeasideMansion2 - it is Capitan Moira's house, map 2

2) go to the top of this map - there are the storm-lighting Emitter and the directional flickering Light (you could play this map in the test mode to see them in action).
    Remember, they are conected by Links and by cycled Scripts! So pay attention while coping them!

3) copy the Emitter and the Light, open your map (do not save the original SeasideMansion2) and click Edit/Paste

4) open propeties of appeared Emitter and Light and find Object/Group/BLA-BLA-BLA - and delete this BLA-BLA-BLA (check this twice!!! ). Now your storm will stay at your map with you!!!

5) spend some time to STUDY your new emitter&light - what is inside? what scripts are used? what colours are set? and ect. It will be very usefull...

6) change anything you like! And of cause SAVE-SAVE-SAVE...

That is all.

Questions are welcome!

Thanks Bardic and Tiens for these ideas. And doh, I should have remembered that the mission with the seaside manor had lightning .

Glad it helped!
    I played TDS from the begining to the end for 21 times so do not worry about this trinket!
    Just ask...

jtr7
    Okay... um... after searching and searching, I've come to the conclusion that there is NO OTHER WAY to view the ibt/gmp textures without installing T3Ed. True?

The reason I ask is: For the Thief Encyclopaedia, we need to gather all texts, including words and symbols found in the image files. Primarily, we need ALL pronouns. The *.sch files are the most accessible source, of course; the SoundDrone transcriptions are tedious to go through, but have yielded scores of potential entries; RadTools has made the videos available for study; I collected the City maps before I was able to view the *.dds files; so all that's left are the rest of the image files.

If there IS another download or tweak that would open this last area up, we would be grateful. Especially if it would allow me to use other systems besides my own, such as the breakroom and library computers at the university where I work. As for my laptop, I'll just install T3Ed....

Thanks!

Will this help? There has to be a link that 242 posted

jtr7
    Yeah, thanks, BUT I've got those texts, and it's the text and symbols in the IMAGE files I need.

For example, there's a texture called "playbill" I believe, in one of the Thief Gold *.crf's, that has the words "The Thief and His Wife" as the name of a play/opera. Also, there are some gauges that are modified photos of real gauges that used to have the brand "General Electric" but have been tweaked to say "General Ecentric [sic]." Therefore, there are two companies making industrial measuring devices: Thermotech and General Ecentric, but the latter is just too silly....

Also, the link 242 posted seems to be dead (from here, anyway).
    Last edited by jtr7; 7th Apr 2007 at 04:18.

On this thread everyone was joking about using some sort of LevelScale or MapScale for the contest missions. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

I can't find any values other than render/drawscale, which doesn't work very well for a map that is already built. I can do it if I have to, but I think I will run into collision hull problems if I do.

There's a tool under Tools called Scale Map, but it seems to be one of those features that was removed. I think the folks who talked about it were just joking, as you said.

The one I was thinking of comes under the level properties, and is used for things like the traditional "rats" levels where everything around the player is built as normal but played like it's 100 times bigger or whatever.

I have no idea if it works in TDS or not though - never had cause to find out, I just asked because it might not have occured to Komag when he was writing the rules that it was possible, but you should be able to look up how to use it in normal UnrealEngine stuff easy enough if you want to do the experiement.

jtr7
    So, this sucks. I installed the editor and it triggered the dual-core bug that causes the intro to loop and wouldn't let me start the game. I didn't have that problem before... ah well. It seems to be working now.

Komag Tutorial

Just wanted to say a HUGE thanks to Komag and all the fellows listed on the tut's first page (and those who didn't get into the list but were also working on the tutl )
    The damn thing is great
    Everything is so well-explained that questions don't even appear. Everything works very smoothly so far. To early to say anything yet, but I do hope I'll make a good student and some tiny mission is going to come out sooner or later

Judith

Good, keep learning, try not to lose patience and don't give up!

Yeah, patience is the hard part

Yeah, patience is the hard part
    so far, I agree . . . especially when tweaking the textures and your ATi drivers keep crashing

anyhow, I was wondering; Is there any way to scale textures once applied to a mesh, or do you just have to deal with the texture scale once you slap a texture on one?

Judith
    All the meshes have proper texture mapping, but you can change it only under 3dsmax, not in T3ed.

bugger . . . didn't think so, oh well - thanks anyways. I guess I'll just have to scale the textures, then.

Hi. I was wondering where I can find a list of all speech and coments for TDS, if such a list existed.

Page 48 of 88 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384344454647484950515253586368737883 ... LastLast