TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 81318232833384348535455565758596061626368737883 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2180

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

I've deleted four of the watchmen to see that the freeze (no real crash, I could usually close it with "Windows-Key + D", although I haven't checked any logs yet) didn't happen again. I'll try what you said when I find the time, thanks a lot. However, the patrols themselves appeared to work. It was rather a random freeze after some time standing in/near one of the areas.

Edit 1: I somehow haven't found the things in the menu you told me about (except this build only selected...option in the build settings). Anyway, after deleting all the markers and AIs from the critical sections I put new ones (two guards, five patrol points) and it worked. After adding three look points I had another freeze, after lowering two of them so that they were beneath the level of the linked patrol point it worked again, but somehow one of the guards now walks the patrol from back to front without that I have changed anything I know of (if there is such an reversed-order option at all). Unlinking and linking him again didn't work. Basically it's two guards (one archer) walking the same patrol from the same starting point – which in fact works with all the other similarly-done patrols even when I did copy the patrol points (what I didn't do now, just to be extra sure). So except for the fact that the archer walks the patrol in reversed order it seems to work now.
    Last edited by Beleg Cúthalion; 19th Jun 2008 at 09:33.

Look on the left toolbar, just under add/subtract section. You'll see an eye connected to a rectangle, also a closed eye connected to a rectangle.(show/hide selected actors only). If they don't appear, there is a small triangle button just in that area. Click it to open that group, check that.

So you don't raise the patrol points to nav mesh level..? That's weird. Especially when you have several levels above each other like in a mansion or something. Are you sure everything else causes troubles? At the moment all of my markers are a few feet above the actual position the AI has to get to (and with "lowering..." I meant that I put the look points slightly below the patrol point z-level).

Oh, and now you've edited your post. Well, I'll have a looksie soon.

I edited my post because I realized that you are talking about lowering/rising look points. That's ok. Well, if you want the ai look up or down, you'll want to do that.

Yes, you shouldn't raise or lower patrol points. Once you right click on a surface and add patrol point, just leave it there. Build the ai, if there isn't any bsp errors or funky meshes with strange collisions around, ai will walk/patrol around. You can move patrol points around left or right, but do not lower or raise it. When you look the original missions, you'll see that most of them look like buried underground, that's ok.

Actually, if you raise patrol points above the ground, it will still work. Still be careful about it, don't expect ai to perform acrobatic jumps.

I said it before, I'll say it again. TDS ai pathfinding is the best I've ever seen in any game engine. It doesn't work like the "apples" from other unreal engines. Once the spatial database is built, it doesn't matter where you put the patrol points, they will update themselves automatically even if you change their position.

Just look at this screenshots, remember the starting area in valley where you enter caves through iron door?

http://images.bittersense.com/aipath4.jpg
    http://images.bittersense.com/aipath2.jpg

That female pagan can patrol over those static meshes with strange collisions. Once in a while, she can fall down while chasing the player, that's understandable. (that needs a different tweak, non-related to patrol points)

However, my point is, there are invisible brushes under meshes, they are actually providing the ai network, so that she can walk over the rocks. The rocks are 1-2 feet above the invisible brushes.

So, long story short, if you are putting patrol points over bsp, you don't even have to tweak them if it's a flat surface. With rocks and meshes, putting invisible brushes under will still work. As you can see in aipth2.jpg, the patrol point looks buried under rock, that's not a problem.
    Last edited by Flux; 20th Jun 2008 at 09:13.

My patrol points (if placed in the top view window) are way below the first street level. And especially with multiple levels (like in a building, as I said before), I doubt that it would work if all patrol points were on the same very low (standard) level. And I almost believe I saw patrol points on street level in the original maps also. In return it means that it must work with the markers on different altitudes. Well, I'll see.

What wonders me concerning your pictures is that you apparently didn't use navmesh subtraction volumes to add a surface to the navmesh (especially with a bridge made of static meshes). That would have saved you performance I believe, although I don't exactly remember whether this particular area had any brushes to make zoning easier.

I'm totally lost especially when you say "And especially with multiple levels (like in a building, as I said before), I doubt that it would work if all patrol points were on the same very low (standard) level."

You don't place patrol points on top window, just in perspective window. Actually don't place any actors on top window, just use the perspective window.

Let me go for simple way. Maybe I'm already explaining what you already know, but it might be useful to newcomers in the long run, you know for archive purposes.

You have one street. One house in it. In the house there are two stories. One guard in the street, one guard in the first floor of the house, another one in the second floor of the house. You want these three guards perform a simple patrol.

Right click on street floor. Add two patrol points, connect them. Right click on the floor in the house, add two patrol points, connect them. Right click on the second floor of the house, add two patrol points, connect them. It's that simple, without any regards to altitudes. These three pairs of patrol points, the one in the street, the one in the house on the first floor and the one in the house in the second floor, are not related to each other at all.

Once the ai pathwork is built, turn on those green lines.(nav mesh links) Your ai will go around those green lines, to search and chase the player. They don't need patrol points to search for player. Of course, with different levels of z-axis, there will be different patrol points, up or down. My only point is once you place two patrol points for one ai, you don't have to raise or lower them.

Patrol points are "independent" of these green lines, they simply tell the ai where to patrol. For instance, two patrol points that belong to one pagan is not related to three patrol points belonging to a hammer in the same area who might be walking way above the pagan. That's why we add "addaipoint" to indicate ownership of a patrol point. The yellow line running from an ai to addaipoint indicates that.

Regarding the picture I posted, add surfaces to nav mesh didn't work. And it won't effect the performance since the invisible brush doesn't have any texture. Tds ai is always happier when they walk on bsp, rather than static meshes. Besides this method is way more easier than trying to wrap a nav mesh volume around a rock-shaped static mesh.
    Last edited by Flux; 20th Jun 2008 at 11:03.

Thanks for the tip with placing the markers in the 3D window; however, left aside that it's a faster and easier method it didn't change a lot. I deleted all the markers and put new ones with your method, linked them, built all and had two freezes, one of them with both guards doing the patrol in reversed order. The build status must have been up-to-date before anyway, so I don't think that could be my fault. Nevertheless, it doesn't solve the problem.

Again, in my first section I have basically the same installment: Two guards doing [i.e.: linked to] the same patrol consisting of a couple of patrol and look points, each of which I placed a few feet above the floor and let them snap to grid – just a little cleanliness quirk of mine – some of them probably copied with Ctrl+W.... and everything works without a glitch.

Two guards doing [i.e.: linked to] the same patrol consisting of a couple of patrol and look points, each of which I placed a few feet above the floor and let them snap to grid – just a little cleanliness quirk of mine – some of them probably copied with Ctrl+W..
    Two guards are sharing the same set of patrol points? If you mean two guards are linked to same set of patrol points, then it's wrong. Each guard should have their own addaipoint and their own set of patrol points.

Also don't copy paste, anything...Only for smeshes, I'd say it's totally safe. Copy-paste actors at your own risk.

Thanks for the tip with placing the markers in the 3D window; however, left aside that it's a faster and easier method it didn't change a lot. I deleted all the markers and put new ones with your method, linked them,
    It's not my method, it's the only method. Trust me on this. I can go on and on why you should never add actors in top or side views but only in perspective window, I'm just tired for now. This is unreal engine, you don't do that, it's asking for trouble.

<General comment:
    One of the biggest problems of t3ed community other than the "usual suspects" trying to stop people making missions is/was that people quickly embraced the urban legend of "this is not unreal engine, oh so it's so different" attitude when the editor was released in 2004. No, no matter how bastardized, it's still the unreal engine. I'm pretty sure most attempts by first-time t3ed mappers could have been aided by simply reading unreal editor tutorials first. But, as I said above, because of the "this is different than unreal engine" attitude, people didn't./>

Let me sum up;

1) Add a guard, right next to him addai point. See the yellow line running from him to addai point.
    2) Right next to addai point, place one patrol point.
    3)Then move further whichever direction you want, add another patrol point. Connect two patrol points. See the green arrows(both cyan and green arrows, cyan colored arrow is the actual route he will take). Do not raise or lower patrol points.

It's that simple, repeat these steps for different guards whether they are in the same area or upper parts or lower parts of your level.

Then add one look points or one anim points for each patrol points. If it still freezes, I'd be really curious what's going on there, send me your unr, I really want to take a look.
    Last edited by Flux; 20th Jun 2008 at 20:29.

And I wanted to keep it clean and simple. Well, in fact it would be much simpler if I could make one guard following the other (like in T2's Ambush!) but I haven't found any links or properties for that yet. There's a thread about scripts to make the AI guard the player, but it didn't look like what I wanted.

Oh, and the only editor I've worked with before was one for web pages. In fact I only started with T3Ed because my story inventing partner didn't get far enough with it. But I don't regret it at all.

Well, in fact it would be much simpler if I could make one guard following the other (like in T2's Ambush!) but I haven't found any links or properties for that yet.
    Just place one guard behind the other one, arrange their set of patrol points so that it would appear as if one is following the other. I don't think you'll need any scripts for that, even if there is any. I can send you a simple room unr with that if you want.

That wouldn't be a problem, but a follow-mode would be nicer, especially because it would save markers and the look points with random delay times wouldn't pull the two or three guys apart after a while. Any idea about that?

I admit, if there was a moderator 'round here, this issue might deserve it's own thread by now... because one of my next questions will involve adding guards on different difficulty levels. I've seen the two (?) guards from Rutherford Catsle which only appear on EXPERT linked to one orange D-shaped marker, but the links etc. didn't tell me anything useful. Plus, afaik there is no difficulty-detection condition in the script browser, is there? I'd like to have new objectives on HARD/EXPERT also and at the moment my brute force solution would be to make the player frob a switch for NORMAL/HARD... when starting the map.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having two guys on one set of patrol points.

Seriously, just so long as they have their own AddAIPoint markers to actually attach them to the route.

I will note however that I tend to clone the PatrolPoints *before* I link the points together - with this engine, something that simple could be why things are getting messed up for you (because it's not Unreal - mostly to the effect of being a lot less stable ). But Schism/Impurities only had around 25 patrol points and everyone was linked to the same circuit. Same thing with the two guys who burst through the door at the start of Townhouse.

I don't know how to force two guys to follow one another apart from putting them on the same route though. There are extra markers for Flock/Patrol-groups or whatever they're called (it's been a while since I looked) but I couldn't work out how to make them work. You can get them to follow the player with a console command, so the behaviour is there, but I don't know how to set it up for between two NPCs.

I'd probably just add an extra (one-way) link in the patrol route for the second guy and put a slight delay on it so he's always a few steps behind, and make the rest of the patrol not have any look/anim points because of how that would cause them to fall further away from each other. Simplest solution, and you can have more NPCs to do the looking and the other actions.

-----------------------------
    You can clone (Ctrl+W) most things without problems. NPCs are about the only thing I don't clone, and that's because it tends to forgot to give the clones eyes/teeth/weapons. BSP brushes, smeshes, patrol points, particle emmiters, volumes.... You know, pretty much everything else, I clone like crazy. I've cloned entire rooms - brushes, actors, volumes, lights, the lot, without incident. (Though, I don't use Copy/Paste as such unless I'm doing it from one map to another)

-----------------------------
    As for the difficulty thing, yes, in terms of script actions, it's possible - I think it's just a GlobalInt value you check (0 = easy, 1= normal, 2=Hard/expert). There is a script that does that for the OMs to reduce the number of NPCs around, which however it's phrased ammounts to

"If the difficutly is this - remove the stuff at the end of these links"

(check the default scripts on the DifficultyInfo actors, I think that might be how I found out about it, but I'm not sure)

-------------------------
    Oh, and random thing, but the Unreal shortcuts still work too - hold "A" and click in the perspective view to place an instance of whatever Actor you've got selected wherever you click, "L" to place a default light. It might not be that much quicker than right-click menu selections, but it is more impressive looking if someone is watching you work

Problem with T3 Secret doors

Hi everyone. My name is Brad, havoc is my handle everywhere I go. I'm a noob here and new to level editing as well. I've been working on a two-story jailhouse in the t3 editor for about a week now. And I've run into a problem with the static mesh secret doors that come with the game.

The problem is that although I can get the 1foot thick stone door to open on switches, etc.. I can't get the 2foot varieties to do ANYthing. I'm self taught in 5 programming languages and have written savegame editors, bypasses for cp in some older games, etc. So, I'm used to complicated.. But, I've no idea where to go from here as I've tried all the obvious things in the script library that are supposed to work with hinged doors. What am I missing. Is there a good T3 fanmission that handles this issue that I can pick apart by example? Any help appreciated. I'd bypass the issue if I could re-texture the 1foot door; but, the editor doesn't seem to want to allow me to do that.

Thanks a mill.

@Ziemanskye: No, the markers weren't linked to each other when I copied them. I pride myself on already having some sense of what I shouldn't do with editors. I'll just make one guard per patrol for now and hope to get any solution soon.

@havoc211: I've just tried to do the same (especially because I read that one could turn a SMesh into an actor by dropping Key0 and Key1 mover points or something at the start and end position), I added all the properties I found in the secret door actor but to no success. So everything I can do is say hello and welcome to the forums. Oh, and the experts will be around here soon.

Easiest way to place a secret (or not so) door with an unusual mesh is to place the "normal" one out of the Actor browser, then use the properties to make it look like a different Smesh (Display>ViewMesh, I think, but it's a fairly easy to spot property whatever it's called)

You can set these things up yourself, but it's a pain to do so. *DoorAttachmentLink to itself, some extra properties added to things, a lot of tweaking to get it to move correctly and so on, compared to just changing the one setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye View Post
    Easiest way to place a secret (or not so) door with an unusual mesh is to place the "normal" one out of the Actor browser, then use the properties to make it look like a different Smesh (Display>ViewMesh, I think, but it's a fairly easy to spot property whatever it's called)

You can set these things up yourself, but it's a pain to do so. *DoorAttachmentLink to itself, some extra properties added to things, a lot of tweaking to get it to move correctly and so on, compared to just changing the one setting.
    Yeah, I think the 1ft door is defined as an actor in the SM lib where the others are not. The 2ft doors only have yaw defined as 0.00 and no movement sound scripts attached; so, I duped the scripting and added yaw. That's as far as I've gotten beyond linking and adding the standard open, close and message scripts. I didn't want to reinvent the wheel before asking someone who knows more than me. I've been neck deep in the wiki and have read through Komag's tutorial several times. I could probably quote it verbatim after the last few days. lol.

Anyway, just got off work and getting ready to dig in again and beat this thing one way or another. Thanks for the help. Still feel a little in the dark; but, with more illumination than before for certain

Ok, here's what I did, and it's working.

1. In the Actor browser, I created a new worldobject with SecretStone1FTDoor as the parent. The new door inherits ALL the properties of the original and overrides with those of it's own that differ.

2. Opened the Static mesh browser and selected the Doortype I wanted, then the texture.

3. Back to the Actor Browser, I went to renderbjectmesh and selected "..." which took me to the sm browser and the
    Mesh I wanted already selected. So I hit "use" and it imported the Mesh and texture I needed.

4. I had to save the gamesys (changed it). Went back in and added an instance of the new door type, scripted it and added all the standard properties (bslocked, etc) and it's now working.

The only thing I don't like is that it's frobable and eminates blue light making it obvious if you get near it. So, I'll have to do some more looking; but, that seems to have licked that problem. The question now is how practical a solution it is from a packaging standpoint. I know there's an export option for the new world object, so I'd think this is case closed. Am I good on this or does someone see a problem I may not be seeing?

..more info:

I was able to alter properties and fix the highlight issue and the frob issue rather easily. I'm going to script out to make the door frobable and highlighted again after it's been opened the first time. Next thing is to change the generic script I used to open it for testing and get on with building my location.

BTW, my project starts in a Tavern/Inn/Brothel that's been converted to a jailhouse. I have a pretty good idea for my plotline and hope to expand this into a multiple mission campaign; but, we'll see. As used to the editor as I'm getting, it's taking a lot of time.

Someone's getting the hang of this pretty quick

As for the issue of packaging things up, we need to put a new Gamesys in with pretty much all the TDS FMs, otherwise the objectives/briefing don't work properly, so adding extra classes to it isn't much of a problem. Personally I'd probaby just have done the render>displaymesh thing on an instance of the 1ft placed in the world rather than create a new archetype, but that's just personal preference.

I think the easiest way to "toggle" if things can be frobbed or not is to set the HighlightDist to 0 (for unfrobable), and then just script it (set [property] to [value]) back to something like 128 so it highlights again after.

And I'm not entirely sure converting a brothel into a jailhouse is a good idea, but that might just be because in my mind one is designed to be easy to get out of, and the other is designed very much not to be. Still, I suppose a building is mostly four walls and a roof, and what the insides get arranged for is somewhat fluid depending on the current owner/occupier, it just might be difficult to show what the "previous owners" used the place for with the available art assets.

Also - making missions is like pretty much anything else - the process is easy enough, but time consuming. My current mission has been on the go for around three years now (though it is going unusually slowly *still hoping for before christmas 2008* release). Don't worry about it going slow - we aren't getting paid for this anyway, so there's no strict deadlines. Just have fun, and ask when you want help/advice. We don't always know the answer, but I'll usually chime in with something if I have even a remote idea on where the solution may be.

I read about big mansions being converted into tenements in the late middle ages or shortly after...not sure if it was because of the plague, but the concept was interesting.

By the way; if you have JohnP's high-res textures installed in your TDS setup (once again: his page is down somehow and I'm not quite sure how many other mirrors exist) you can copy them from the game's Dynamically-Loaded folder and put them into your PC-Textures. The nasty blue frob highlight will then get replaced by a copper one, left aside that these high-res things look usually prettier.

@Ziemanskye: How's the Cabal coming along, by the way...?
    Last edited by Beleg Cúthalion; 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:09.

If you clone an actor, you might never know when the problem will arise later on, especially if it is a brush. (vertex edited, unsnapped brush!)So, please do not copy-paste actors, if you want to play it 100% safe.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having two guys on one set of patrol points.
    How can you prevent them bumping each other or getting stuck ridiculously when they return from final patrol to the first one?
    Last edited by Flux; 22nd Jun 2008 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye View Post
    Someone's getting the hang of this pretty quick
    I pick up on things very quickly as a rule.. when the old thinker is working properly anyhow. Critical thinking is
    one of my best suites. I'm an artist with a firm background
    in logic and math. I picked up pascal in six weeks, and was
    doing code profiling and writing unprotects for the old ssi games within weeks after that. I miss codeview a little, come to think of it.. a good MS app from back when they still made good stuff. lol.. long ago and far away..

As for the issue of packaging things up, we need to put a new Gamesys in with pretty much all the TDS FMs, otherwise the objectives/briefing don't work properly, so adding extra classes to it isn't much of a problem. Personally I'd probaby just have done the render>displaymesh thing on an instance of the 1ft placed in the world rather than create a new archetype, but that's just personal preference.
    Yeah, I thought of a number of ways of approaching it this morning; but, went to work last night thinking about class inheritance from my programming experience and since I plan on using it for more than one instance over the long haul, figured try that first. If it were just for a few instances, you're right, it would be better to tweak a single object and clone it in the editor as the clone would inherit all the tweaks.

I think the easiest way to "toggle" if things can be frobbed or not is to set the HighlightDist to 0 (for unfrobable), and then just script it (set [property] to [value]) back to something like 128 so it highlights again after.
    Good tip, thanks. The way I read the Highlight option was
    that it only set how close the player had to be to set it. But, you're correct, the zero setting would logically mean unfrobable. That'll save me coding for two variables.

And I'm not entirely sure converting a brothel into a jailhouse is a good idea, but that might just be because in my mind one is designed to be easy to get out of, and the other is designed very much not to be. Still, I suppose a building is mostly four walls and a roof, and what the insides get arranged for is somewhat fluid depending on the current owner/occupier, it just might be difficult to show what the "previous owners" used the place for with the available art assets.
    Well, a lot of that was born of necessity. I love a good story. I hate it when the reason something is being done
    just doesn't add up. I had a good idea for an overall story arc; but, I needed a reason to have Garrett become involved in that story. Getting caught fencing goods seemed reasonable enough. Winding up in jail again seemed reasonable too. I figured, do it in a small town or a town that had just been through some disaster and the jail had been wiped out. Whatever the case, the jail gets relocated and Garrett ends up the first inmate in an unfinished and not completely familiar (to the constabulary) building. It's made some of the character interractions in the readables pretty fun to write. And I've been able to add in some allusions to some favorite material that's been fun too.

Also - making missions is like pretty much anything else - the process is easy enough, but time consuming. My current mission has been on the go for around three years now (though it is going unusually slowly *still hoping for before christmas 2008* release). Don't worry about it going slow - we aren't getting paid for this anyway, so there's no strict deadlines. Just have fun, and ask when you want help/advice. We don't always know the answer, but I'll usually chime in with something if I have even a remote idea on where the solution may be.
    Definitely having fun. I love this series of games. I waited patiently for the the two sequals to come out after playing the first one. TES is my other fav. I think I currently have something like 100gb of mods for Morrowind and Oblivion. Just plain fun stuff. I'd intended to break into modding with Morrowind; but, just never got around to it. I'm an artist and love the process of creation as much as creating.
    So, I'm enjoying the game from another angle. I had just played through Thief II again after finishing T2X for the first time. I found my way back to the circle afterward and a week later, here I am still burning time on the game lol.

Well, just taking a break from the kitchen.. in my inn. It's in process of being rebuilt in the story line; so, I'm having fun being creative in making Cabinets that look like they're actually being built in place. I've built cabinets before. This is a little cruder version of it; but, still fun..

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    I read about big mansions being converted into tenements in the late middle ages or shortly after...not sure if it was because of the plague, but the concept was interesting.

By the way; if you have JohnP's high-res textures installed in your TDS setup (once again: his page is down somehow and I'm not quite sure how many other mirrors exist) you can copy them from the game's Dynamically-Loaded folder and put them into your PC-Textures. The nasty blue frob highlight will then get replaced by a copper one, left aside that these high-res things look usually prettier.

@Ziemanskye: How's the Cabal coming along, by the way...?

Hehe, yeah, I finished downloading the torrent of it around 6 this morning. Haven't installed it or the others I pulled in over the past few days.. yet. But, I'm planning to do so in the next few days. Got Monday and Tuesday nights off, so
    I'm planning to do a lot of editing apart from my house chores and tending to the garden. Might be able to work a carb job on the bike in there somewhere (only an hour's work). I'll hate myself by Wednesday.. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    If you clone an actor, you might never know when the problem will arise later on, especially if it is a brush. (vertex edited, unsnapped brush!)So, please do not copy-paste actors, if you want to play it 100% safe.

How can you prevent them bumping each other or getting stuck ridiculously when they return from final patrol to the first one?
    Could one use collision detection to revert to a sidestep script till the other actor passes? I haven't gotten that far in my mission building yet. Might be useful to know.

They do bump even if you have two sets of patrol points, if one catches up to the other. Then they step around each other, a brief exchange of barks later. Otherwise, as I think you said yourself earlier - these are not unreal apples - the AI will just sidestep around other NPCs as long as they have space to do so. Same way you don't need to add extra patrol points for when doors open, and how, after a moment of running into physics stuff (or Garrett), they'll try to move around it (/him).

No extra work required: the AI is fairly good in this.

And back to the cloning thing - if you want to work that paranoid, that's your choice. It's not given me any trouble, so I'll stick to using it where I feel comfortable. I do feel a bit uncomfortable with you telling other people outright not to do it when I know it has worked out just fine for me, but I've probably said similarly blunt things to people about whatever other topics around here at some point, since I am kind of the resident know-it-all.

As for the Cabal, well, I wouldn't want to comment on the other guys missions, but mine is... coalescing slowly. Still a bit early to tell if it's going to work or not as a level, but the art is going to be good.

Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 81318232833384348535455565758596061626368737883 ... LastLast