TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37424752576267727782838485868788 LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2177

Thread: Please ask your basic (newbie) questions in here.

I found something that, in theory, should be compatible with T3Ed, but I couldn't get it to work: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UE2:Cubemap_%28UT2004%29

I rarely use cubemaps based on the level, but if you really need that, you can set up your Viewports to Floating, set your Perspective window to a square shape, snap the camera to grids (EdShouldSnap) and make screens this way. Crude and time-consuming, but effective.

As for the second question, you just need to pick the sound category from the drop-down list, and save the material, the library, and export it to .mlb. Textures should use it automatically. For meshes you have to select the mesh in browser and choose the collision category. Usually it's Exact (same as the shape of your model), Artist-generated (if you did it in Max manually), or None. If you did everything right, you should see 'Unassigned' replaced by proper sound category in mesh browser.
    Last edited by Judith; 22nd Jan 2015 at 08:17.

Oh yeah, and with tranform -->Mirror x, y z we can have a perfect control of direction of the camera.

It's possible to use texture animation ? I have seen in unreal documentation that unreal use it, with texture_a00.dds , texture_a01.dds etc. But Thief 3 can use too ?

You'll have to make a mesh and a set of materials that would be 'frames' of such animation. You'll have to apply them to the mesh one by one, as new 'skins'. Then you can use script to change those skins over time. Don't think it's a good idea (it's expensive with larger textures, performance-wise), but you can do it.

A couple of simple questions from a newbie

Having just finished doing walkthroughs for all the T1/TG missions i thought i install the T3 editor to see if i could work out how to get around the editor and thus maybe take on writing walks for all the T3 missions as my next project......However after i installed the editor (extracted it into my T3 folder) 2 major issues

1. T3ed.exe would not launch saying i could only launch T3 editor from 'command-line argument'
    2. When i tried to play a mission via FMsel a warning box came up saying this programme is not commonly downloaded from the internet and could harm your computer do you wish to proceed anyway, but when i said yes my computer just went to a blank screen. im not sure whether it was meaning T3 game, FMsel or the sneakyupgrade but still the editor kind of messed up my T3 install and i have had to re-install

can any one help me out here, where did i go wrong ? or is the Editor only meant to be used with a clean install with NO sneakyupgrade / FMsel / FMs installed

Whilst asking i may as well ask now, when writing the T1/TG walks i used Dromed to generate reports to find loot, keys powerups etc and learnt how to use Dromed to find out how doors were linked to switches etc, and it helped me work out how to get past various obstacles by checking out the properties box...i also found object hierarchy as useful tool.

Are there the equivalents in T3 Editor which would help me find everything i wanted to find in the FMs if i decide to take on this project

thanks in advance
    J

Sneaky Upgrader
    First off, as far as I know, it's not possible to load FMs as they are into the editor to snoop around - you need the 'uncooked' maps for that, so you'd have to ask the various authors for the .unr files.

For T3 it's best to keep separate installations for the game and editor. I'd recommend following Komag's tutorial, but when you reach the "install thief 3 launcher" item then install the editor edition of the Sneaky Upgrade instead. It makes a few things easier, one of them is that you can launch the editor directly.

Thanks for that snobel....I kind of guessed on those lines

I have only one other question

what am I going to do for my next project then ?

Str8g8 already shared the unr files for his The Bridge (couldn't find them online now but I should still have them on my HD) and I wouldn't mind sharing mine, too. There is a lootlist tool in T3Ed but it doesn't give you the objects immediately, just their object names AFAIK. Plus, missions with randomized loot would have too much of it anyway, also the keys issue wouldn't be too simple since there are many ways to do stuff like this in T3Ed. However, in the worst case you could always ask here.

And use the Sneaky Upgrade by snobel to run T3Ed. There's really no reasonable alternative nowadays.

Sneaky Upgrader
    As you may know fortuni has been writing walkthroughs for all the T3 FMs and he's come across an issue with the loot list, as accessed from the gear screen or when visiting a fence.

If there's two "Copper Bowl" one at 100g and one at 50g then the loot list will show either two Copper Bowls worth 100g or two worth 50g depending on which one is picked up first. So the loot list total will be different from the game stats total, and you will get the wrong amount when selling it to a fence.

So I'm working on a fix... It records every loot pick-up on a more detailed internal list and then feeds the game the correct values as needed. So far it appears to work but I'm a bit worried there may be non-obvious ways of adding loot to the list, without having the player doing any frobbing.

I've skimmed the triggerscript actions and found "Cause an event as if object [LinkFlavor] had frobbed object(s) [LinkFlavor]". Could that be used, and how? Any other ideas on how to break this?
    Last edited by snobel; 2nd Feb 2016 at 08:02.

I believe the game will take the archetype's re-selling value for those lists grouped by item type while the actual value (or first value, as you noticed) is the one taken from each object's own properties. To me it looks like something that can only be fixed in the maps themselves unless of course you want to undo the author's work by setting all loot values to the standard one.

Sneaky Upgrader
    Luckily it's not as bad as that... The archetype value is not used, it's the SellPrice of the first object of that type that you frob.

I'm not changing the values but the loot list will show the total for each loot type instead of the item value. (So in the example above it will read "Copper Bowl 150 2".) I had hoped to be able to add a line for each type/value combination but that turned out to be too complex.

The fix is working for individual maps, including save and load, but transferring loot from one map to the next is to-do.

Any comments on the script thing?

(PS: Any progress on the Inn? )

I'm wrapping up my thesis and preparing to move house so it's pretty busy at my end.

I can imagine that if a piece of loot is added to the inventory not by frobbing, the easiest way to go for any author would be simulating a frob with the script you mentioned. Adding loot without having an according object inside the map would require referring to an archetype. If that was the case, the script might not work unless you add an instance of said object archetype. Maybe I'm too tired right now but it seems somehow complicated.

Sneaky Upgrader
    From what I hear, FM authors laugh in the face of "Complicated".

Can you give me any hints about setting up the script to try it out? Placing unreachable loot objects for this purpose should not be a problem.

Yeah, but you know... I'm getting old. The script action that could be used for adding loot without frobbing (or using the as-if-frobbed action, where you could step in) would be "add xyz instances or object type abc to the player's inventory"... or something like that. I doubt that it is used at all but I guess you can quickly check any map for it. If you find it, place the specified item -- in case it is not in the map yet -- and refer to it with the act-as-if-player-frobbed... action, thereby replacing the previous action.

Back to basics question: where are the T3 resource files (textures, AIs, etc.)?

It should look like this: \...\GameFolder\CONTENT\T3

Although you won't find much in there if you have the game install only, as most of the resources (textures, models, scripts) is packed into .ibt files. The Editor package contains textures and all other stuff in proper folders, so you should probably check it first.

Ah! I was wondering why my nice new install didn't have stuff I remembered. Thanks.

Another question, I remember moving my saved games and the other stuff from my C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows folder to another location, but can't find mention of that folder in my registry. What points to it?
    Last edited by LarryG; 22nd Jul 2016 at 10:02.

Sneaky Upgrader
    You can try searching for "SaveGamePath" (as a 'value') from the root in regedit. Sometimes it's fetched from a VirtualStore location, which can be quite confusing.

If you have the Sneaky Upgrade installed for the game, the game's registry values are logged during start-up. You can find the log file in the "Thief 3 Sneaky Upgrade" start menu group.

I have the Sneaky upgrade, and I have found the log file, but that doesn't help relocate the data files. It has been a few years, so I must be misremembering. I thought there was a simple change that I could make to redirect from my C: drive to another drive.

Sneaky Upgrader
    To move the location for savegames, edit the SaveGamePath registry value. Alternatively reinstall the SU. There's an installer option to change various paths, including the one for savegames.

Interestingly, after relocating my savegames by reinstalling SU, all the savegames get rejected. They were working fine on my C: drive, but now appear to be no good on D:. I guess I should give up and start over clean again.

[Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\0B6C6C36-B371F60E-401AD80D-B34CA3A3-42D4849C
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\0C2B69A1-0D5F9D72-0AA03355-3B2135F8-9E2DA569
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\156C8D14-322ED99A-26A3D8E4-A438BC6B-5F3661EE
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\1DF5331A-87DFDF3B-EBD70052-A78C5C42-5E18568E
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\2775708F-540702F1-4FD4394E-65D0016D-42E74EBE
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\3AC664D0-98741AC0-2BF1C9AB-D320CFB7-738F05D0
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\4D358F1E-C6095651-E6BEB749-B5DB9EDE-78CD25FC
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\4FFE0816-54118665-DC6DF86D-1699A2C8-E129D09C
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\7A708680-BD0CF894-D3982637-233A9CAA-510EA2A4
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\8D0338E5-FE13D3A6-66E0F7D8-99A1A441-7728D558
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\948BC1C3-4C67532A-918FA64C-E226C7F5-355D0B37
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\B2A3D7CB-980A2655-CA8B1A13-D845625E-D2BC582D
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\CB3CED68-6BAFE4B6-91DEBC33-34C6E004-E91C7F59
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\D4683CEB-87BD9454-33E9FB4B-CE48F013-5E93BF1B
    [Wrn] Savegame rejected (version): D:\Users\Public\Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\SaveGames-T3G-1.2\DC1E1E45-BC4E6642-BCC7A5BB-0B1006EE-01CAEBF6

Sneaky Upgrader
    No, your saves are probably for an earlier version of T3 Gold. Apologies for not warning about that, I assumed your saves were for the original game.

Do each of the weirdly-named folders contain a file named SaveGame.txt? If so, do they contain "T3G-1.2"?

Btw. I tried moving my own saves from a C: path to that same path on D: and they still load.

Edit: If there's no SaveGame.txt files, rename the SaveGames-T3G-1.2 folder to just SaveGames and disable the T3 Gold mod in the tweaker.

Well, when I start using T3.exe , I can access the savegames (in fact any of the T3 launchers except Thief3Launcher.exe and Thief3.exe load the savegames), but I don't know which savegames store they are reading from, the C: ones or the D: ones. It is when I startup using the startmenu's Thief 3 with Sneaky Upgrade shortcut that the savegames get rejected. These are all original savegames. I'm using thief3savegames.rar that I found in this forum back in 2008 or so.

Oh, and, no, none of them have SaveGame.txt, neither the copies on C: nor the copies on D:.
    Last edited by LarryG; 23rd Jul 2016 at 13:08.

Sneaky Upgrader
    That makes sense - you have SU 1.1.6 installed(?) so both T3.exe and T3Main.exe will launch the unpatched game and the saves will work. Launching Thief3*.exe or using the shortcut will launch the patched game, which will by default try to load those saves into T3 Gold.

Definitely try renaming the folder and disabling T3G as described above, if you didn't already. You can get the active location of the savegames from the log btw. - look for "Saves dir".

Thanks. Disabling T3G did the trick.

Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 37424752576267727782838485868788 LastLast