TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM "Unfinished Business" by SlyFoxx!!! (Mar. 11/2005)

smithpd. I was trying to answer your question re: all the objectives ticked off.
    I have 2 ticked and 2 unticked. I was guessing that the 'don't kill cooper' ticked off at the same time as the delivery one. I willl send a save when I work out where it is. I don't remember my saves being zipped before.

The saves are not zipped. I merely suggested that you might zip it for e-mailing, but that is not necessary. The saves are in the Saves folder (amazingly enough ) under the main install folder. You can identify which file it is by saving it again, as I said, and using Windows Explorer with the View Details option to find the save file that has the most recent date. I look forward to receiving it.

I'm sorry folks are having trouble with the final objective. I never experienced a problem with it and neither did any of the testers. But the main objectives are spelled out plainly enough so the player knows when it's over. I have now idea why there would be a problem. The the KO Cooper and deliver to contact objective is essentialy a drop or place item here objective just like the 4 bonus objectives. It's very easy to implement with a Qvar Trap. Nothing complictated to go all kerrflewie.
    Try my FM's. Search my nick at Cheap Missions. Mission in progress, "Opportunity Knocks."

Sorry - I'm not trying to be/make life complicated and smithpd, I'll be sending it soon but although I know they're not supposed to be zipped, my saves are! Honest guv. I really don't know why. I only had a trial winzip on the pc I was using and its run out (maybe that's got something to do with it) so will have to transfer them onto another pc after doing the save as my old pc doesn't have them zipped - like normal people.

Whatever, it hasn't taken away from the fact that this was exactly the type of fm I love. I have really enjoyed it and it will definitely be one of those I'll want to play again to find everything. I'm really not bothered about it not finishing, just intrigued.

PS I don't know what a Qvar Trap is.

Nickie, I think you have your folders mixed up. The zip files in the Allsaves folder are zipped by Darkloader to save and compact them for future use. This occurs immediately before a new mission is loaded. The files in the current Saves folder, the set of save files that are being used by the current mission being played, are unzipped by Darkloader when the mission is loaded (if an Allsaves file exists), and they remain as separate files while you play the mission. If an Allsaves file does not exist, as when a mission is being played for the first time, the Saves folder is initially empty. You fill it up while playing, and then Darkloader zips it when changing to a new mission. If the mission in question is currently loaded, then its Saves are not zipped. That is, unless you zipped them by yourself. Honest.

Darkloader has its own zip functions. It does not rely on what you have installed, so that does not matter.
    Last edited by smithpd; 16th Apr 2005 at 15:21.

Well I wouldn't be at all surprised if I was muddled about the save folders. That'd be typical of me - there are occasions (?) when I'm as thick as the proverbial 2 short planks

I'm also having trouble with the conversation... I got all the way into the
    spoiler:
    gambling room
    with only the usual 'time for a trip to the tailors' type stuff. I will try again.

I thought I knew what to do with the easter egss, but... it's not working. can someone give me hints? please? PMs are fine, to avoid ruining it for others.

I feel bad that some are missing the
    spoiler:
    conversation in the gambling room. It's not implemented in the game in the normal fashion. I tested the method I used thoroughly but evidently not enough. But if you really want to hear it unzip the mission and look in the Snd folder for "pokerconvo.wav" or something similar.

A little status report on testing the ending issue with Nickie. The save file from Nickie's computer causes an immediate mission restart when loaded on my computer. The saved game does not begin to load. It is not e-mail corruption, as it does the same thing when sent zipped or unzipped. I think there could be corruption on Nickie's side somewhere, but further testing is needed to find out if and where. This is going on. We will report back when we have something more definite.

Has anyone seen a save file cause a restart before? This behavior is new to me.
    Last edited by smithpd; 20th Apr 2005 at 02:02.

I got the saves from Peter and had a computer that didn't have Thief set up on it yet so installed Thief but did NOT patch it. (I suspected this was the problem because of past experience with trying to load old saves on a new install when I had forgotten to install the patch. The game doesn't recognize the saves at all.)

Nickie's save installed and ran on it but the end objective would not tick off so it looks like the problem is being caused by people who are using ver. 1.07. If the patch has been installed then it didn't work properly. I have run across instances of this before but I don't know how you fix it. Perhaps an uninstall of Thief, then reinstall the game and the patch?? I can't say for sure.

Great Mission

Just wanted to say that this was a very well-crafted mission. The architecture was outstanding, IMO. SlyFoxx, was that a custom sky you designed? Nice work.

Another thing I liked was it didn't have those annoying secret switches that have made other missions more tedious than enjoyable.

The only flaw was the way it ended. Sort of a let-down. Other than that, a definite '9'.

Ricebug

And Nightwalker, I just explained to smithpd that I'd removed everything from my old pc in a fit of temper and started up again on another, installing everything from scratch but forgot the patch. I haven't had troubles before so I didn't notice.

I'm going to follow his instructions just to see what happens but I've decided, as my thief pc has been appropriated by another game player, to start again after that on another which is XP and am downloading another patch as we speak. So thank you for your help too. (On the other hand I've just been reading the instructions for installation on XP - so maybe I won't and just fight for game playing time)

I may have to start this one again from the beginning but that's no hardship, it was/is a great fm.
    Last edited by nickie; 21st Apr 2005 at 03:04.

XP isn't hard to install or set up, nickie so go for it!

RE: the sky.

When I started my original idea was to kill Cooper Barlett so I wanted a sky that was a sort of metaphor for the evenings activities. But somewhere around the alpha stage I changed my mind and thought the story would be better served with a KO and kidnap as the main focus. But by that time I was so used to how the sky looked that I didn't want to or feel the need to change it.

Making a "New Sky" is not very hard. New Sky is a dromed term for the Thief 2 sky. We all remember the way the sky was in Thief 1...just pitch black with some dots for stars. Apache wrote a good TUT that covers how to get started. There are a ton of different fields that you fill in to make changes...mostly check boxes and fields where you put numbers. To change colors and intensity it's simply a matter of messing with the ratios of red, green and blue. You can get some really far out effects that might not look realistic but they do look cool.

Just finished this one, along with the four bonuses. What a great mission, regardless of whether it was a town mission or not. I have to say this is one of the most enjoyable FM's I've played. Very nice to able to go vertical use alternate routes on getting into places. Thanks for a fun FM!

Glad you liked it. It's a bit of an honor to have a "new memeber" post praise when the join date is 2000. Thanks for coming out of the shadows for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx
    Glad you liked it. It's a bit of an honor to have a "new memeber" post praise when the join date is 2000.
    Sorry. This is just begging for an unnecessary pic.

I'm feeling particularly random today.

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx
    Glad you liked it. It's a bit of an honor to have a "new memeber" post praise when the join date is 2000. Thanks for coming out of the shadows for a moment.

In true thiefly fashion, I lurk a lot.

I've played the FM's since the start, but never personally got into Dromed. I know my limitations. I believe I have remarked on FM's on occasion, but I felt that this one deserved special mention. I don't know why I would still be considered a new member after nearly five years, but oh well. I will definitely keep my scouting orb active for more of your missions.

SlyFoxx, I found time to play this one, and I must agree with you. You certainly deserve to call this map "unique". And it was quite enjoyable to play as well. This map was one of a kind, and I really appreciated it's overall feel. It seemed thiefy in its experience because of it's fresh look.

Jumpy game

I've been going through this mission and suddenly the game has become choppy and not running smooth. If I start a new game, this disappears. How to get it to stop in the game I'm already in since I'm almost finished?

Unfortunatly I believe you've picked up a random bug. It happened once to me and if I recall correctly has happened a few times to other players. I know of no fix as I have no idea what causes it. Sorry.

Great fun!

Just played and finished this one last night and now I wonder why I waited so long. The architecture and gameplay were great! It's such fun to have different ways to reach an area (yay for roof-hopping). I like how each house had its own feel and those uneven streets are lovely. As always, I have a few niggles, such as the coloured lighting being a bit too stark at times, but they're minor and don't matter much. Heh, I won't start ranting about diaries either (my opinion of those should be clear by now).

All in all I had loads of fun playing, thanks Sly!

I only found one of the bonus objectives this time, I'll have to go back and look for more. Been trying to avoid the spoilers so far.

Oh, how's that new T1 mission you mentioned coming along?
    Morrgan's Dark Projects: my FMs and FM reviews - 10.03.2008: All for a Night's Sleep updated to v1.1

NEW FM: UnFinished Business by SlyFoxx!!!

THANK YOU SLYFOXX!!!!! I LOVED this FM!! MORE PLEASE??!!! Both Fletcher's Final Mistake and Unfinished Business are now my two favorite FMs - even better than T2X (no undead, thank you very much; though some may like battling undead, which is absolutely fine and I respect their right to enjoy doing so, I, on the other hand, prefer no undead skulking about at all in the FMs I play - sorry 'bout the run-on sentence). Are you working on more FMs currently? Please, please say yes!! I've been logging on to TTLG Forums for the past couple years as (the better half of) akabart, but finally decided to have my own membership and have played tons of FMS, so I feel I can honestly say yours are right up there with the best of the best!

Fourth Egg Help Please

I've just (almost) completed this great FM, having found
    spoiler:
    three of the four eggs.

But what do I do with the
    spoiler:
    watch for the fourth one? I've tried dropping it in various places to no avail.
    Can someone please put me out of my misery - either post on here or send me a PM.

Thanks

I didn't find the
    spoiler:
    watch bonus
    either, but just finished last night and had a great time.
    I like Morrgan am not much for overly saturated light colors, but a pretty small nitpick, comes more from a designer standpoint than a player standpoint I think.

I thought the gameplay and story were well thought out and had a lot of fun navigating the terrain (rope arrow action is always a +1). The reporter rambling on was very funning, I listened until his speech looped. Hard to stand there 4 3 minutes at the beginning of a new mission, but worth it.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast