TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Fan Mission Reviews

Some Fan Mission Reviews

just got komag's dvd 1 in the mail (THANKS dude!)

having loads of fun. thief certainly has the most dedicated fan base i can think of. the fan missions are all amazing. i rated the ones i played so far.

let me know if you think some of the info is too spoilerly...

Title The Burrick's Head Inn v2.0
    Author Yandros (Russ Robbins)
    Contact info: deleted
    Date of release Original Release – 01/25/03 (Contest 4 submission)
    Version 2.0 Release – 05/17/03

A very good fan mission. Excellent plot and game integration.

spoiler:
    There was one scripted "Oh, crap" moment that startled me. The designer did a nice job making it seem natural. The incident is mentioned later in a character diary, although it was pretty soon for the incident to be written about, but that's a minor nit-picky point.

Did not find all 4 secrets, just the one that gave the Angel's Tear. Dinged it for the pixel hunt for the Angel's Tear. Luckily a bug(secret hint feature?) in the fan mission kept popping a corpse into the secret location's general area. He also repeated a scroll/newspaper several times. I don't think it was necessary to have so many copies around, even for a newspaper. Again, a minor nitpick.

The designer also stated he wanted a character in the mission with an interesting past (at least from reading personal in-game letters) to star in new fan missions. I agree, a mission with that character, has a lot of potential.

***.5 out of 5
    Definitely download
    Title: Chronicle of the Metal Age : Chapter I - Clefts in the Hammer
    Authors : Sir Balu : global architecture, AI, storyline, scripting
    Jano : custom skins and textures, voice acting, beta testing
    Contact Info: deleted
    Date of Release: Aug , 2003

Too easy.

Just kidding. Never let it be said this one isn't a challenge. Very large and diverse. I WANT to ding the mission for the fact I only finished the last objective due to massive spoilers. But I can't, since after reading the spoiler necessary for the objective I can't help but say, "Oh yeah, I should have noticed that."

A few minor map quirks, such as an enemy who I couldn't kill/knockout and some doors that you can't open, lockpick, or find keys for by design. Plus, a book that lights up as if it can be read but had no text.

Very good attention paid to the journals, they told a coherent story about characters you don't even meet (alive at least). There was some clever AI guard placement/patterns. One managed to pop up behind me and squeeze me against another guard. There did seem to be a minor problem where as soon as you pop open the door it would reveal a guard who had been walking around and whistling but not heard before the door opened. The opening was nicely done, not a traditional briefing, but one that provides some connections from Thief I and Thief II.

The huge map and clever plot make this one a winner. If you want a tip then...
    minor spoilers
    spoiler:
    Save at least one fire arrow and one water arrow. I think you won't need the fire arrow if you get a certain hard to find tool in the map, but it is quicker to use the fire arrow.

I wish the designer had provided some water arrows at the place where the one water arrow was specifically needed. Although the objectives could be completed without that one water arrow, I threw away thirty minutes going back to a hard save because I didn't know that at the time.

***.5 out of 5
    Definitely download, especially if you want a challenge
    Mission name: The Mystic Lady
    File name: Mystlady.zip
    Author: Christine Schneider
    Homepage: www.zinkchristine.de.vu
    Release: This mission is a wedding gift for Dinksmallwood who was married on March 19, 2004 ;-)

Whoa...Lady Heike is not a woman to be trifled with...

The designer notes said the mission was made in seven days as a wedding gift. It doesn't show, the rooms are nicely laid out and there are plenty of interesting things to take.

spoiler:
    The pantry was a junk food lover's paradise and the balloons were fun objects to play with.

I did like how I couldn't find a certain key till I thought to myself, "where would I look for a lost key?"

An extra star for the part that made me think, "Wasn't there a body here a minute ago?"

**** out of 5
    Definitely download
    THIEF NOIR
    Title : Thief Noir
    Filename : noir.zip
    Author : Tim (Gumdrop) Murray
    Contact info : deleted
    Homepage : http://bluntedtaffer.50megs.com
    Date of release :
    Version : 1.03

A very small map in a black and white world outside the Thief universe.

Visually it's like a noir film, but the small size and having few of the other tools in your normal arsenal makes it somewhat limited. Play it when you don't want to spend more than fifteen or twenty minutes on a map.

*** out of 5
    Download if you want a quick game
    The Haunting
    Author : Nameless Voice
    Contact info : deleted
    Date of release : February 29, 2004
    Requirements : This mission required GayleSaver's Script pack version v1.2.0 (BugFix version) or higher,
    and Telliamed's tnhScript pack version v1.3 or higher.
    Both of these script packs can be downloaded at:
    http://www.thiefmissions.com/scripts

Fun little mission. You are the spirit of a murdered owner of the house. Do whatever you can to scare the beejeebus out of the current inhabitants (your murderer and his wife).

spoiler:
    It takes place over 5 nights and it might have been a bit better if one night was skipped, but it was quick nonetheless. The hilarious use of salt and an unexpected enemy makes this mission worth a download.

*** out of 5
    Worth a download (don't forget to get the necessary script packages)

Title: The Cell Next Door
    Author: Frank Mitchell
    Contact info: deleted
    Date of release: March 2005

Small sized but has lots of good things stuffed in it. The story was interesting and the map design was tight but creative.

Some of the loot was a little hard to find, but other than that there are plenty of things to like about this mission.

***.5 out of 5
    Worth a download, especially with the small file size!
    Last edited by russellmz; 10th Jun 2005 at 13:52.

It's nice to see reviews like this but I'm removing the email addresses you included as contact info. It's not a good idea to post stuff like that in the open on the forums. Other than that, though, keep'em coming!

******CALENDRA'S LEGACY v 1.a******
    OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE: APRIL 1ST 2002

Mission One: A Meeting With Basso
    --------------------------------
    Architecture: Purah
    Scripting: Purah
    Objectives: Datoyminaytah
    Conversations: Datoyminaytah & Purah
    Recordings/Sound FX/Voices: Loanstar, Saturnine & Purah
    Build Time: 4 months

Just played the first mission of Calendra's legacy(the Thief 2 Calendra mission). Pretty good. They got animated briefings. Not only that they got a decent Garrett impersonator doing the voice over!

Minor spoilers:

spoiler:
    As near as I can figure out the story Garrett stole some valuable artifact in the Thief 1 Calendra missions in exchange for some horizontal mambo, but then decided to take the artifact and sell it.

The first mission involved getting trying to get from one side of town (that is blocked off by a wall and guards) to the other. It was interesting since if you didn't have a weapon out the guards assumed you were just another citizen walking around.

spoiler:
    There is a part where you're doing the Indiana Jones thing and wandering around this guy's underground tomb trying to figure out how to solve the puzzles using cryptic clues written in metaphor and escape the occasional death trap.
    Fun stuff, with some clever solutions and only two or three confusing parts with the metaphors combined with old style talk. It's clear after I do what I need to do, not so much while I'm doing it. I'm not 100% or even 50% sure but I think you can avoid this part and take an alternate route. I wasn't able to find out for sure since it got twisty and mazy when I tried to see if this was true.

Also, what the hell is up with that
    spoiler:
    guy running around wearing a wooden barrel?

First mission: ****.5 out of 5
    Definitely download if you like solving puzzles/escaping deathtraps(as I do)

Currently 2 minutes into the second mission, but I don't know whether it is any good yet. It hasn't given me a good first impression since the first part is a timed mission. I freakin' hate timed missions, which brings out horrible memories for me of the timed payphone mission in Grand Theft Auto 3. I had to get someone else to do it for me then send me the save file.

Don't give up. Only the first small bit is timed then you can play the rest on your own timetable. (p.s. Make sure you are using ver 1.18 or have your game patched up to that version as this mission does NOT work properly otherwise.) Enjoy!

By the way, there is a TG mission called Calendra's Cistern that comes before this set and is the mission where you actually steal the Cylix for the first time.

Excellent thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker
    Don't give up. Only the first small bit is timed then you can play the rest on your own timetable. (p.s. Make sure you are using ver 1.18 or have your game patched up to that version as this mission does NOT work properly otherwise.) Enjoy!

By the way, there is a TG mission called Calendra's Cistern that comes before this set and is the mission where you actually steal the Cylix for the first time.
    oh don't worry, i don't give up until i've been pissed at a game for an hour minimum. i just had to go to bed.

sadly, i don't have the original thief and never see it in any bargain bins so i can't play the first fan mission.

Mission Two: Midnight in Murkbell
    --------------------------------
    Architecture: Purah
    Scripting: Purah & Thumper
    Objectives: Purah
    Conversations: Purah
    Recordings/Sound FX/Voices: Loanstar, Thumper, Purah, KoMaG
    Build Time: 9 months

Although the mission has tons of neat stuff going on, my problem is I want some boring old Thief(2) gameplay. After
    spoiler:
    the Cardinal's double-cross
    , I'm suddenly running away being chased by a small army
    spoiler:
    because the level sent a scripted priest running right into me
    , even though I want to just sneak around quietly.

OK, guess I should have done my exploring and hit the museum before this mission turned into the first 15 minutes of
    spoiler:
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    , but how was I to know? Man, I hate anything you can't disable with a nice blind smack to the back of the head. This cramps my preferred playstyle, which is blackjack everyone, then explore in relative safety and comfort. I'll probably have more fun if I do a second play through but the new guys that popped up make exploring a bit problematic without a black guy with a shotgun, an idiot who'll screw up the plan, and a spunky chick who's good with guns.

Finished the second mission. The zombies freaked me out and I had difficulty doing any exploration with all those guys around.I was kind of disappointed because reading the walkthrough after the end I realized I missed a lot of cool stuff, like Mercedes janitorial clean up duties in the City after she leaves Garrett's room.
    *** out of 5, but only because there was way more action than I wanted from a Thief mission.

Slight bug with the third mission. There was a fun scripted moment at the beginning. And when I was putzing around with an enemy chasing me, Mercedes tossed some fireballs off against him. Neat! Unfortunately, eight minutes in I wound up having an in-game conversation with Mercedes repeated, with no way for me to break through the invisible wall that popped up during the conversation. I'll probably come back to this and the second mission later.
    Last edited by russellmz; 16th Apr 2005 at 01:13.

Title: Benny's Dead
    Author: The Gingerbread Man
    Date of Release: July 26, Y2K

A nice twist ending caps this mission. Garrett's closing lines amused me greatly.

spoiler:
    Like in the second Calendra's Legacy mission, there is a point where you go from sneaking around to fighting weird monsters (a nice job on the monster design, those things freaked me out worse than zombies). Their screeching set my hair on end, then made me laugh when I found out what the screechings was saying. Luckily for me the monsters are a bit less suicidally brave than zombies and I had plenty of equipment to deal with them.
    There is at least one guard strolling around who was blackjack proof, but he had a very low alert status as he practically shoved me aside without noticing me hiding in the shadows.

Keys to locked doors are not in far off unlikely areas, and there were plenty of times where I could choose to avoid guards or I could blackjack them. One or two times I had to unrealistically rush past a light source to get into position against an oblivious guard but otherwise the lights were set up so I had a chance to be sneaky.

There were some humourous moments, like the very obvious reason why one restaurant was
    spoiler:
    closed down by the Department of Hygiene.

The map is not oriented with north at the top! North is to the left, east at top, etc. That confused the hell out of me for about 3/4 of the time I was on the map. Not only that but the starting areas outside the hotel are unmapped.

***.5 out of 5
    Definitely download
    blah blah blah, message required by board software

Hey russellmz, you can find a copy of the original thief at places like EB games and other online places. EBay is where I get my extra copies.

Quote Originally Posted by mxleader
    Hey russellmz, you can find a copy of the original thief at places like EB games and other online places. EBay is where I get my extra copies.
    i would but with about 300 fan missions it's gonna be a while before i need a new thief fix.

MAD AS A HATTER
    Author : Triksta
    Date of Release : 04/09/03 (V.1)

Hyper sensitive guards at key points knocks this mission down half a star. Putting down carpets with 3 moss arrows still didn't prevent at least one pair of guards from managing to spin 180 degrees and bashing me despite my creeping up on them on moss. Another gripe is that one objective is to go to a clocktower to escape. But it isn't listed on the map! I eventually got to the clock tower by going to where i hadn't gone before. I wound up purposely killing one guy after seeing his evil handiwork close-up and the end stats still read, "innocents killed, some." No way he should be considered an innocent!

However, aside from those points the mission is well done. Creepiness abounds, I got a nice scare finishing an objective, and there was some nice humor to lighten the mood in a custom conversation and a funny note in the barracks.

My minor suggestions to improve the mission to a **** rating are:
    -label the clocktower on the map
    -add a few more readable letters/books in the offices, which seemed a little bare
    -label which cell is which. I was literally bouncing back and forth off the walls trying to fit the right key into the right door (although to be fair, if I had stopped to think about it I should have figured it out easily)
    -a few of the guards should have their alert levels toned down. On the very first creeping step, when I didn't see or hear any enemies, three guards suddenly popped out of nowhere charging at me. I managed to blackjack them one after the other as they came searching, but cheap as it was I decided not to reload.

Also:
    spoiler:
    There is one guy getting tortured with electric shocks. I thought it was possible to stop his suffering, but I couldn't get his cell door open, even though I had what I thought was the proper key. Also, who was the guy in the freezer? Just some random schmoe?

***.5 out of 5
    Definitely download, although expect a bit of confusion on the last objective...

Thanks for the reviews, russellmz. Of course, everyone has a different opinion, a different cup of tea, but mine is that Midnight at Murkbell (Calendra's Legacy Part 2) is the finest mission ever made. Great map that is a joy to look at and to explore. Creepy and tense throughout, before and after the "event." It is super fun to ghost it if you have the patience for that. I would suggest trying it again. Next time, I suggest
    spoiler:
    keeping away from Mercedes and exploring for as long as you can.
    I know it will be tough to resist her.

Now play "The Gallery" and prepare to transcend space and time in what is truly the greatest collection of 1s and 0s that Planet Earth should be lucky enough to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd
    Thanks for the reviews, russellmz. Of course, everyone has a different opinion, a different cup of tea, but mine is that Midnight at Murkbell (Calendra's Legacy Part 2) is the finest mission ever made. Great map that is a joy to look at and to explore. Creepy and tense throughout, before and after the "event." It is super fun to ghost it if you have the patience for that. I would suggest trying it again. Next time, I suggest
    spoiler:
    keeping away from Mercedes and exploring for as long as you can.
    I know it will be tough to resist her.
    yeah one of the problems i had was that i didn't know to explore then do objectives, normally i smack all the guards then wander around so i can do whatever.

i'll be sure to try "the gallery."
    Last edited by russellmz; 19th Apr 2005 at 13:41.

OUT FOR A REVENGE, version 1.01
    Author: Istvan Varga
    May 31, 2004

Large map with a nice variety of locations. Story is good with several separate but related threads going.

The designer made some nice guard patrol patterns with some being in pairs to keep you on your toes. And yet another new monster makes a guest appearance. That's what I get for exploring... The designer also made a nice looking "paper" map. Even without automap I could tell where I was quickly and easily thanks to the map's detail.

I couldn't finish the last objective, I knew what I had to do I just, couldn't find what I was supposed to find. Only after I read a walkthrough did I find it and I still had trouble unlocking the
    spoiler:
    secret safe because I kept trying to use the safe key when instead I had to use the lockpicks, then the safe key.

**** out of 5
    THE GALLERY
    Version 1.2
    Author : David Letersky
    Date of Release : June 26, 2003

A nice little map. You go into this mission light, your inventory is small: I didn't even get a compass (not that it was needed)! No arrows either. If any troublesome guards (or..."other") are at a distance you need to either use stealth to avoid them or get up close and personal to dispatch them.

Took a satisfying 30 minutes to complete. The initial starting point seems to be a bit bright and leaves you a bit exposed, but the light crystal remained dark. Also, the trees are a bit too close to the wall, you should be able to squeeze through instead of having to go in front of them. The inside of the museum is a bit sparse but there was an interesting story to go with the map.

I like how at one point the mission basically makes you the dumb babysitter in a horror movie that makes you scream "don't go in there," at the screen yet you go in there anyway...

***.5 out of 5
    Definitely download, a nice easy start, then a build up in suspense, then an exciting run to freedom
    blah blah blah need message
    Last edited by russellmz; 19th Apr 2005 at 23:43.

Haha.. thanks for the review (the mission was mine, my first and only)... When I told you to download it I was kinda kidding, but hey, I'll take what I can get!

I like how at one point the mission basically makes you the dumb babysitter in a horror movie that makes you scream "don't go in there," at the screen yet you go in there anyway...
    I appreciate that comment a lot, you've described exactly the feeling I was trying to create at that particular point.

Some fan missions you should definately play (all kidding aside):

-The Seventh Crystal
    -Ominous Bequest
    -The Art of Thievery
    -Having a Ball
    -Rowena's Curse
    -The Inverted Manse
    -Enterprise/Hallucinations/Insurrection (series)
    -Lord Edmund Entertains (T1)
    -Bloodstone Prison (T1)
    -all of the KOMAG contests

I haven't played nearly all of the fms out there, but of them, these have been my favourites so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja
    Haha.. thanks for the review (the mission was mine, my first and only)... When I told you to download it I was kinda kidding, but hey, I'll take what I can get!
    hehe, i missed the smiley on your request. you should do a few more. nothing relaxes like a thief mission you can do in one sitting. big maps are fun, but sometimes 2 or 3 hours over two or three nights with an extra 15 minutes trying to figure out how to do the last objective is a bit much.

hey, just curious, is it possible to
    spoiler:
    kill the pagan ape thingy? that sucker was doing crazy multi hits on me. just for fun i hit it with two rope arrows from the safety of the sewer pipe and drew some blood.

my mad quest is to play through all of the fm's at least once, so i'll get to them all eventually.

I'm working on a second mission now (actually it's going to be a pack of at least two), and, I'm sorry to say, it will be quite large Try those contest missions - each one can be done in about an hour, often less, and most of them are quite good.

spoiler:
    Yes, you can kill the pagan-ape. I tried to make him a bit of a challenge, I just use the sword and move in for quick hits. It's a bit tricky, so I made it entirely up to the player. Running up through the pipe without touching him doesn't affect the outcome at all.

I'm actually on the same quest as you, but I find that everytime I start playing, it just makes me want to start building even more, and so I've only finished maybe 20/300+ so far.

A GUARD CALLED BENNY
    Author : Dark Arrow (Jari Mäkinen)
    Date of release : February 29, 2004

You are Benny! Despite your failures you are hired to protect Lord Myrdon and his prized possession upstairs. Think the AI guards are dumb and you could do better? Here's your chance to prove it.

The missions provides a lot of replay value. Not only difficulty levels, but there are different plots, different mission times (during a party, after, or the late night shift). You can also choose your weapon: bow & arrow or sword. Amusingly you can play poker with your cheating buddies.

There are also some areas you can explore beyond the mansion if you feel adventurous. The AI(s) coming at you are tricky and dangerous if you're not prepared. The thieves are very good stand-ins for Garrett.

There are some quirks in the mission: a key which opens nothing, a door which can't be opened, and some objectives are fulfilled without anything you did. For example, "find out why you were hired" is sometimes an optional goal but sometimes this is not explained fully yet the objective is fulfilled.

Supposedly there are secret play modes, but I couldn't find out how to trigger them. Certain scripts are required, read the readme.txt for details.

***.5 out of 5
    Worth a download, short but you can replay multiple times to get different results.
    UNFORTUNATE FORMULAE
    Author : Timon
    Version : 1.0
    22 January 2003

Good story, but it forces you to ghost! Still, even with my meager skills I was able to avoid getting killed (I got through with one health left plus four from apples and carrots). Of course with so few enemies and such a small map it would be pretty boring to slam a path straight through with a blackjack.

Nice loot dispersal: I had trouble meeting the minimum loot goal, and then when I looked at the stats I was amazed to see I barely got over the halfway mark! The problem is that if you did all the other objectives you can't explore and get the remaining loot easily.

Some pretty sick (in a good way) humor at points. "Daddy?"

*** out of 5 (but only because I hate not having a blackjack!)
    Worth a download, but if you think ghosting is the devil (like me) you might take pause.
    alex didn't get fired in the apprentice tonight. can't believe he skated by again, sheesh.

THE HASHISHANS V2
    Author : Ben Hur
    Homepage : http://www.btinternet.com/~axiomarchives/
    Date of release : 16/8/2002

For some reason this mission made me really bloodthirsty. Normally I go through and smack people on the head but almost never kill them. On this one I got a bit frustrated at the beginning, then I got lots of stuff to kill with, and it all went downhill from there (violence-wise). I think I eventually got more kills on this one mission than in ten in Thief II.

This mission had some fun stuff to do. Yet another new monster, but this time I didn't freak out like I normally do.
    spoiler:
    Some were actually proved to be unlikely allies. Also amusing was one of the objectives on easy: play with some sort of super weapon! One of the good things about this level was the AIs interacting (re "killing") with each other.

***.5 out of 5
    Definitely download, especially if you like some violence. You will have plenty to do and look at.
    if you can read this, you are literate.
    Last edited by russellmz; 23rd Apr 2005 at 01:16.

I love the Hashishans too. A few reasons (possible spoilers below):

-The title .
    -The Mechanist with a regular guard voice (near the beginning).
    -The crazy good mishmash of AI and creatures
    -That insane superweapon, the Hell's Fire (like many others)
    -The other great weapon, the Skull of Death
    -The victrola in the lounge with the Dancing Mechanist Cherub

FATHER HIRVAKIA'S PORTAL
    Author : William the Taffer
    Date of Release : Dec 8, 2002

The readme states that all four missions of Father Hirvakia's Portal should be downloaded first, then played in order. So finish one mission, install the next, and then play. The mission break up was due to size limitations for the Thief Fan Mission Conest #4.

The first mission has no gameplay, it simply tells the briefing. The problem is that it uses the player as a camera so you can look around but your movement is automatic. So you read the briefing, while slowly gliding along. The briefing finished way before you finish gliding to the first area you are supposed to play. If you play this, read the briefing then quit as soon as text stops appearing, since after the automatic move the briefing/mission ends with no payoff.

The second mission has a small area and choir music playing that, with the flickering lights from torches, helps the atmosphere. After avoiding/blackjacking a few enemies and finding a hard to find switch, you get a fairly scary cutscene, and then the mission ends. Very short, 15 minutes, with most of that involving looking around trying to complete the last objective. I did like the new objective that popped up at one point: not a real objective just a message complimenting you when you achieve a certain level of progress. The second mission has most of the trademark Thief gameplay in the campaign: blackjacking, sneaking around, stealing stuff.

The third mission: another short one but has you naked with no equipment but one almost worthless weapon. A nice bit of subtle yet beautiful eye candy are some leaves gently falling down from the sky. I thought there would be some scripting to get an AI to a) fight on my side or b) follow me around. Neither one happened, I didn't even get a custom conversation. The first play through a scripted event didn't trigger and I couldn't complete the mission. After a restart I managed to guess what I had to do.

The last mission seems to promise you a climatic battle in Garrett's way too nice house.

Nu-uh, motherf--ker.

TO BE CONTINUED. That pissed me off in the second Matrix movie, seeing it here didn't improve the experience. Given it's been almost two and a half years since the last mission was done, I think the two main characters will be "left in limbo" (mission text's words, not mine) for all time.

** out of 5
    Can't really recommend as worth downloading. Some cool cutscenes and atmosphere, but incomplete and short.
    CREATURE CLASH 2
    Author: Garett "Kung Fu Gecko" Choy
    Date of Release: September 2, 2000

A fun little level where you hit switches to release AIs and watch them fight to the death in a pit while you are perfectly safe. Wide variety of AIs: zombies, Hammers, Mechanists, guards, apes, spider, machines, a spider, a fireball tossing mage, and one rat that acts as a lure.

Fun to play with and watch.

*** out of 5
    Worth a download at 300k.
    Don't fire until you see the whites! -Ryan Stiles on "Who's Line is it Anyway?"

That eye candy is available to any Dromeder on T2 Dromed. The falling leaves are a weather effect from Trail of Blood.

SANDBRIDE POLICE STATION
    Author : Cookiedough (Rachel Yvonne)
    Date of Release : Jul 6, 2002

Very small and short mission. You need to break someone out of the police station. You are given little equipment: your sword, water arrows, and lockpicks. It took me a few tries to do it the "right" way, but eventually I got it.

When you take out torches you are left in complete darkness. Even cranking up the gamma to maximum didn't help. While nice for realism, it sucks for movement when you have to manuever by memory. All you see is a black screen with no reference point unless you twist around or get a glimpse at the sky. At least let me have a compass so I can tell if I'm turned around or not!

No secrets, no loot, and despite books and scrolls laying about, no real reading to do. Aside from sneaking past a few guards, not much to do.

** out of 5
    Play only if you got ten minutes to kill.
    wow, finally a good episode of "enterprise": the alternate universe evil terran empire! even the alternate universe opening credits rocked. WHY WAS THIS NOT THE NEW SERIES INSTEAD OF A ONE TIME TWO-PART EPISODE????

Title : Jenivere De Ja Vu
    Author : John Denison
    Homepage : http://www.geocities.com/john9818a/thief2.html
    Date Finished : May 31, 2003

Really liked the first half of this mission. Nice large city design, inventive ways to get into buildings besides "lockpick front door" and some good little plots like missing keys and prisoner movements.

The problem comes from the loot limit. There's just one difficulty setting and it has a 2000 gold requirement (out of ~2500). Considering I'm the thief who likes to make a quick buck and run (sometimes getting as little as 50% of a mission's loot before finishing a mission's objectives), getting 80% of a large map's loot is crazy. I knocked out over 50 guards, practically memorized the map running back and forth, and after using the walkthrough, got 2014 gold. I was particularly pathetic when at 1917 gold I was chasing down one coin worth 5. Some loot is in weird places. Almost two hours on the part of the mission after all the guards are knocked out is madness.

spoiler:
    There was one part that I think is a bit of a practical joke on the players involving a strawman and a large window.

One button opened a secret area silently so I didn't notice it, when in fact it was behind me!

I couldn't get into the sewer room with the two spiders. I was over the room and killed the spiders through the hole with the iron bards.

Also: I knocked out Jenivere because I had no idea if she ran with you or not. I just carried her.

The map was excellent but had one or two minor errors like a sign that you couldn't read the text on. Nothing serious but the loot requirement is a killer.

*** out of 5 (one whole star off for the one and three-quarters hours I spent in the endgame trying to meet the requirement)
    Definitely download, but be sure to visit his webpage to get the walkthrough so you can meet the loot requirement when (not "if") you get stuck
    on 24, chloe the computer tech took out an m4 and wasted a terrorist trying to get her. i'm still geeking out over that.

Why are you including TV program summaries?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast