TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Vote for an entry! (read topic header first)

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Nice Stroll

1 0.64%
  • Hazelshade Cemetery

40 25.48%
  • Requiem for a Thief

22 14.01%
  • Ride the Butterfly

2 1.27%
  • St. Lazarius

19 12.10%
  • Surrounded by the Metal Age

10 6.37%
  • The Clocktower

63 40.13%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: DromEd Beauty Contest!

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    ...but anachronistic-looking.
    Tee hee hee, not Steampunk then?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Nice, almost 100 votes now. I think this contest is a success.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Griffin
    Tee hee hee, not Steampunk then?
    Nope. If you "tee hee", then you still don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nielsen74
    barkelit (darkbrown early form of plastic)
    It used to fascinate me in Science lessons. The first plastic. Isn't crude I used to think, but wonderfull at the same time.

St. Lazarius was just so amazing!!! My vote went the that entry. Just amazing!!! It made me aspire to greater heights, it really did! Most inspiring!

Hi guys, er.....euh...I've just saw the missions now....shame on me , when were they posted???? It must been one of my "Blackout" days....anyway see ya guys....I'm gonna start from the smallest
    ThiefMaiden

I've seen all of them......guys you did so much work ,
    1-I've loved surrounded by the metal age
    2-I am amazed by ST Lazarius, the graphics are amazing so beautiful, so artistic
    3-IF I want to play a mission it will be the Clocktower
    4-The Cemetary was very well made....the ambient ...perfect not disgusting like the usual Graveyards
    If a mission is to be made, I would surely suggest a combination of the 4 of them
    but sinse it is a beauty contest......
    well I am between the Clocktower & Lazarius
    ThiefMaiden

A toss up between Clocktower and Hazelshade for me too. Superb work secret FM authors. Gorgeous textures, great effects, lush environments.

In fact, good work all round.

Shadows (binary shadows especially) were obvious in their absence. What gives?

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    little tricks of the trade, but the binary lighting is easy to get rid of in some situations, impossible in others, lack of torchs/water arrows makes it seem absent.

Imagine an entire mission with the detail of the Clocktower. With no disrespect to the other authors, The Clocktower has an umatched qualty to it, some trick of the light and textures that took me out of the Dark Engine universe. I was reminded, of all things, the look of Hexen. Well, thanks to all the authors for their hard (and speedy) work, but my vote is in.

Either Clocktower or the Cemetery. I ended up voting for Cemetery, just because I'd like to see some of those techniques make it into real mission maps.

The Clocktower pretty much had the best actual atmosphere I've seen in a Dromed map, and was also quite nice - really, a tossup between these two.

Surrounded by the Metal Age was nice, but just not quite on the same level as these top two. However, I'd love to see an entire misison done on that visual level, and it's probably actually possible. Very nice style and cohesiveness to the whole thing - something that's often missing from fan missions.

As usual, I'm a little late to chime in, and as usual (again), everything I could possibly say about these fantastic missions has already been said. They are all gorgeous!! I ended up voting for Hazelshade out of sheer eye-popping-ness.

[EDIT: I respectfully rescind my previous incoherrent babbling with apologies.

Exceptionally great job by all participants!

PLEASE make all of these into complete FMs!!! PLEASE!!!
    Last edited by bassmanret; 21st Apr 2005 at 11:38.

also, t'would be nice to see these as playable, but at times dangerous to have full missions like these due to dromed limits.
    Last edited by Alexius; 21st Apr 2005 at 11:50.

ZylonBane
    Why did you even bother with a "gameplay potential" ranking, when this was explicitly stated as an absolutely irrelevant condition of the contest?

Removed. ....oh, well.

Hazelshade Cemetery=Whoa! Swirling mist and reflective mausoleum flooring. Textures look real nice, very unique looking mission. Hats off to the author

I managed to get out of the cemetery and onto the roofs. I'm just curious like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Nope. If you "tee hee", then you still don't get it.
    Hey, chill out man, I was only winding you up.

I voted for Surrounded by the Metal Age. I agree that some of the others are great, but Surrounded has superior design IMHO. Clocktower is indeed great, but I feel it relies way too heavily on objects (which can be fine), but Surrounded is so well crafted that I just felt a sense of awe towards the creator!

The objects in the Clock Tower weren't the thing that impressed me, it was the lightning seen through the clock mechanism, the citizens with the lanterns, traversing the steep steps while thunder hammered the outside parts and rain could be seen pouring through the windows. Atmosphere, not eyecandy.

I voted for Hazleshade myself - my breakdown:

A Nice Stroll - Frankly, this one seemed out of its league. There was nothing here we haven't seen already.

Ride the Butterfly - A nice attempt at a peaceful glade - however, I don't think the Dark Engine translates daytime very well. None of the thief levels that have used daylight have been very attractive to me. The textures in Thief are created for the dark, and look better in the dark. RTB had nice design, though.

Surrounded by the Metal Age - At first I thought, "nothing special here." Then I looked up in the distance to see where that noise was coming from, and I "got it." This level is more of a "statement" than anything else. It reminds us that technology can quickly surround us and choke the beauty out of life. One gets the sense that the owner(s) of the garden come out here to TRY to escape from the ugliness of industry, but even when looking upon that beautiful fish pond, you can't escape that noise! Nice work here.

St. Lazarius - this was the first of the "contenders" in my mind. A real pleasure and a jaw-dropper. The kind of level you wish would be incorporated into a mission! I loved the art design on all the walls, the ambient music, and the gold/bronze shading of the entire level. I wanted to know who this Saint Lazarius was to have such a shrine built to him. My only nitpick is that I don't think a religious order would have sensual paintings in it's main hallways - but, this is the world of the author, and it follows his rules, not mine.

Clocktower - the second "contender," only lost points for its outer area. The inside was a masterpiece of attention to detail! A true break from the usual mundane world of Thief where every room looks the same - bland and featureless. This level gave you a true sense that someone actually lives here! This would also be a great level to incorporate into a mission!

Requiem for a Thief - now this one really impressed me! I loved the eulogies - yes, this is a BEAUTY contest, not a content contest. But all the same, they fit in with the ambience of the level very well. The detail of the textures was exquisite. Each time I thought I'd seen enough, I'd notice something else, like the way the stained glass was reflected on the floor and wall IN COLOR! This would make a GREAT intro to an entire Thief campaign! What a great start to a storyline - Garrett is in a coffin with a eulogy being delivered - then, we go back one week and see what lead to that point. And is he really dead, or is there something else going on! Whoever made this, get a team together and make Thief 4 - PLEASE!!!

Hazleshade Cemetery - I was close to going with Requiem or Lazarius until I loaded up this one. And I was truly astonished by it! The fog, the atmosphere, the buildings surrounding the cemetery I SO wanted to visit. This level serves as a great reminder that beauty doesn't have to be beautiful. Decay and darkness can be beauty in their own way! What pushed me over the edge was going into the crypt and seeing those nice shiny floor tiles! Like someone said earlier, this was very reminiscent of the opening level of Painkiller. The only flaw was that you could see the back end of the moonbeams near the starting point. But, overall it was fantastic - the most Thiefish of all the levels presented! Append this one to Requiem, St. Lazarius and the Clocktower, and we'd have a game worthy of cash purchase!!

Yah, if you join St. Lazarius, the Clocktower and Hazelshade you'll get a lot of errors with the Dark Engine, not a playable game.

Wow! Big thanks to NeKoeNMa for organising this and to the authors for creating such beautiful jewels!

The only thing I'd wish for is the possibility of voting for more submissions (say, three). I would be more objective and more gradual as well. For example quite a few people I think put Surrounded as their #2 or 3, but still, it has very few votes. Just a suggestion if there's going to be another contest. The important thing is the missions, not the voting.

The Clocktower - amazing. Great looking, had this homey feeling... one of the top submissions.

A Nice Stroll - nothing special here, really.

Ride the Butterfly - good idea but I agree that Thief was not build for this. Dunno, there's something strange about daylight in Thief. Plus, I couldn't perform the task described in the title.

Hazelshade Cemetery - the atmosphere! The effects! The cool-looking fog! Didn't seem like Dark Engine at all.

Requiem for a Thief - nice idea as well. I can't describe it, but the church just had something to it... seemed like, dunno... heaven? Must be the light effects. Also, excellent choice of music.

St. Lazarius - a mission well executed and obviously lot of effort has been put in. For me, though, it just didn't have 'the feeling' Requiem, Clocktower or even Surrounded had.

Surrounded by Metal Age - very tough to rate. Maybe it was too spartan, maybe it was just right... I can't compare this one directly to the others. I think others already described it well enough. Could have used some other textures. Anyways, it was good as well.

So... now the question is: how should I vote. My favourites are: The Clocktower, Hazelshade Cemetary and Requiem for a Thief (in no particular order)... guess the best expression of my preferences would be not to vote for either. Oh well.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Preno
    Ride the Butterfly - good idea but I agree that Thief was not build for this.
    There's absolutely no technical reason why the Dark Engine couldn't pull off a convincing daylight scene. This mission just went overboard with the colors and the brightness level.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 22nd Apr 2005 at 13:32.

only 121 votes? There must be more taffers out there who still haven't voted...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast