TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Vote for an entry! (read topic header first)

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Nice Stroll

1 0.64%
  • Hazelshade Cemetery

40 25.48%
  • Requiem for a Thief

22 14.01%
  • Ride the Butterfly

2 1.27%
  • St. Lazarius

19 12.10%
  • Surrounded by the Metal Age

10 6.37%
  • The Clocktower

63 40.13%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: DromEd Beauty Contest!

Still Subjective
    Well I just put it up on the news on thiefpetition.com so we may get 1 or 2 more.

I voted for Clocktower btw. No contest. It was just sublime.

Thiefmissions.com

I'll try to get it posted on the thief-thecircle main page.

Edit: Success! Thanks to MsLedd.
    Last edited by epithumia; 22nd Apr 2005 at 23:43.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    There's absolutely no technical reason why the Dark Engine couldn't pull off a convincing daylight scene.
    I thought the daylit interior of Requiem was pretty convincing.

Still not enough votes for it!

"I thought the daylit interior of Requiem was pretty convincing.

Still not enough votes for it!"

I feel the same!!!!
    It has made with the big soul. Others basically very technical.. and gloomy, but nice too.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by casalor
    I thought the daylit interior of Requiem was pretty convincing.
    Yeah, the effect of early morning sunlight on the AIs was remarkably authentic. Almost made me want to squint when I stared directly into the "sun".

Plus I found a window I could jump through, so I got to frolic in the garden too.

And the voice-acting was almost professional quality.

Quote Originally Posted by NeKoeNMa
    Yah, if you join St. Lazarius, the Clocktower and Hazelshade you'll get a lot of errors with the Dark Engine, not a playable game.
    that... or go insane trying.
    bwahahahaha.
    (goes insane)

I LOVED ST. LAZARIUS!!! SOOO COOOL!!!!!!

It was so cool that my exclamation marks and capital letters were unnessecary.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Plus I found a window I could jump through, so I got to frolic in the garden too.
    eh? Gotta try that!

All of the entries are nice; I would have liked to play them more and compare, but I'll be away from the internet for the next few days so I had to vote now.
    So I decided to vote for The Clocktower...
    Should I really have voted for the competition?

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i thought yours was stunning nv, i must say it is a vote getter.

I had to register in order to vote (yes Im new) All these missions are brilliant!! It was really hard to pick one, because I really loved them all...

Hazelshade Cemetery = this one gets my vote. My jaw just dropped at first sight... really would like to play missions with these effects That marble floor!!

St. Lazarius = awesome beautiful, I loved the art in it, and the effect with the lighting.

Requiem for a Thief = very nice and interesting story Loved the music, and the outside background (when you look through the large windows).

The Clocktower = also brilliant!! All those little details, and when the lightning strikes, that window on the top floor lights up in blue-ish nice!

Ride the Butterfly = well this one was very strange I liked the butterfly, and the day-effect. Stunning colours too

Surrounded by Metal Age = I liked this one; you get a sort of comforting feeling being in that garden, when all around you you can smell the Metal Age very nice little lake!

A Nice Stroll = also a nice mission, I liked those almost-broken bridges.

I'd love to vote for them all, they are all just stunningly beautiful...

While I was very pleased and flattered to see my work used in the entries (3 out of 7 isn't bad going!), I want to say that my permission was neither sought nor given to use the sky background in Requiem for a Thief - and had I been asked I probably would have said no.

I was not very pleased at all by this, especially since the stated reason why this artwork has not been released for public use yet (even though I have done skybox versions of it) is because I wished to release it in one of my own missions first. I expect an apology from the author.

Now then.

Cemetary's low-lying fog blew the pants off me, and I expect to see something like it crop up in every 3rd mission released from now on My only regret is that it wasn't done in the original game, because I can foresee it getting overused as a gimmick rather than understated as the atmospheric flourish it could be.

But Clocktower definitely did it for me, and as has been stated by other posters it looks and feels like a really well-done mission space rather than a beauty-contest entry. I'd love to see an entire mission executed with this level of detail.

Not to be snide, but St. Lazarius made me and my wife laugh. I think I'll leave it at that.

Edit: Ok, I came off sounding pretty harsh about Requiem. I liked the mission itself and was very impressed with how the sunlight was pulled off - while I think it could have done with more contrast, it shows that sunset lighting can be a really effective technique, and one I hope to see used in more missions. The different eulogies were a very nice touch with good voice-acting. This one would be number 3 for me.
    Last edited by Vigil; 23rd Apr 2005 at 10:28.

At least it has style.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil
    but St. Lazarius made me and my wife laugh. I think I'll leave it at that.
    Laughter is nice too.
    5 minutes of laughter can substitute for a glass of milk.

From the sucess of this contest (I just think that it lacked a bit of advertisement) I think I may organize another one... Of course the second one would be better as believe it or not this is the first contest I organized!

I'm very glad it pulled out well.

ATTENTION
    Tomorrow the voting will close, so we can know the winners and we can also say out loud the author names.

I narrowed it down to Hazelshade Cemetery vs The Clocktower, and I had a hard time picking my favourite from those... In the end though, I found The Clocktower had just that much more attention to detail.

Marvellous effort!

I really enjoyed all of these. Well done, authors! They all had their moments that made me smile. Clocktower made me smile more than most.

Rather than repeat comments in all the reviews, with which I generally agree, I will point out some things that I thought were a little strange. These are not meant to be disparaging. I really enjoyed all of them.

A nice stroll. Crashed when I reloaded a save.

Graveyard. Was that fog effect simply water with a different texture and sound? Whatever it was, it was a nice illusion. Shingle texture under the ceiling of the chapel was a little strange.

Requiem. The eulogies stopped playing about a second before they were finished.

Ride the butterfly. I had a lot of fun riding these. I think the wing flapping could have been simply rotating the image in one direction. Yes? Cool. One of the "butterflies" was actually a moth. An underwing.

Surrounded by the metal age. Nothing unusual other than the justaposition of industrial and garden feelings. Well done.

The Clocktower. I was expecting to find the owner's body at the highest ledge after hopping around on the ropes. Nope.

St. Lazarius. The stats say 2137 loot. I missed it. Is it there? I am looking forward to the Imperium.

It couldn't have been water, sheesh; water is animated by cycling through about 20 frames, to achieve that fantastic smoothness he would have had to have around 1000 frames, that's just crazy, and I don't think the water supports that many anyway; the keyword here is 'conveyor'.

But I think ZB made the terriffic remark that this technique *should* be used for water surfaces in future FM's ... hovering just over the old cartoonish surface, since it is so much more convincing.

It's nice to know that T2-FM making is still a living art that keeps evolving. The future is still bright...

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i'm working on some better water textures, but its not easy to make real water, water is reflective for one thing, something we can't do in thief. the water in farcry was perfect imo

My comments on the beauty contest

Clocktower was definitely the winner for textures and many different objects.

St. Lazarius is a close 2nd (and no, the two rather lurid pictures had nothing to do with it! ) I liked the music and the general textures (and the fact that it's based on a real place is always a plus).

The cemetary was quite good also, but I would comment (probably a comment made by many others) that the custom-tombstones often have text that's just a little too small to read (with or without the water-fog). Bigger tombstones might have worked here (or less text).

Neat little "beauty contest" - I didn't notice it until today when I cruised thief-thecircle... many other taffers may have missed this as we all wait with baited breath for T2X.

- prjames

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue
    But I think ZB made the terriffic remark that this technique *should* be used for water surfaces in future FM's ... hovering just over the old cartoonish surface, since it is so much more convincing.
    Right, that's what I meant. Just use this technique (or even a simplified version with only two layers) right over the water surface, then set the actual water texture to invisible.

A nicely-animated water texture is almost impossible to achieve in the Dark Engine, because the rate it animates at is so slow. In SHTUP I tried to recreate a Quake-style animation of the water surface, with only partial success due to the low animation speed (and Dark's unfortunate insistence on posterizing water textures).

That's quite true, I rushed to make enhanced water with conveyors about a day or two after the contest missions were released, it looks quite good, even though I used the standard water texture for the conveyors, I used 4 layers on top, and copied those 4 layers and moved them a micron lower but flipped vertically, because a conveyor only has one side, and you need to do that in order to see the water fx from underneath the water surface.

A conveyor can be as large as you want it to be, and have the same scale on the texture (a scale which you can change, I set a slightly different scale for each conveyor myself, for kicks)
    Because of that you wouldn't waste too many objects, minimum of 4, I'd recommend 8.

Well, this used to be a terribly clever post about combining several different conveyor layers on a single model, except that I hadn't actually bothered to find out how conveyors work. To wit, they are a bitmap effect (of all things) and have nothing to do with models. So that wouldn't work. But, further discussion on this should probably go into the TEG.
    Last edited by Vigil; 24th Apr 2005 at 10:51. Reason: Talking out one's arse department

Yes, Vigil is right. Please keep the tech stuff to a minimum in this thread and concentrate on comments about the missions relating to the contest.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast