TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Vote for an entry! (read topic header first)

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Nice Stroll

1 0.64%
  • Hazelshade Cemetery

40 25.48%
  • Requiem for a Thief

22 14.01%
  • Ride the Butterfly

2 1.27%
  • St. Lazarius

19 12.10%
  • Surrounded by the Metal Age

10 6.37%
  • The Clocktower

63 40.13%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: DromEd Beauty Contest!

ZylonBane
    It's interesting that the mission with by far the most votes is the subject of so few actual posts.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    It's interesting that the mission with by far the most votes is the subject of so few actual posts.
    People tend to be negative and love to criticize. Guess there just aren't that many bad things to say about that entry.

ZylonBane
    But there hasn't really been any negativity in this thread.

I also think that Surrounded got some good posts here on the thread yet too few votes.

[edit]
    I just realized that I forgot who is the author of Ride the Butterfly. Would you mind to send me a forum message or e-mail? No thiefsie people trying to get credit for the mission because I probably will remind who it is when I get the message.
    Last edited by NeKoeNMa; 24th Apr 2005 at 14:24.

Southquarter.com/fms
    ******, according to info_window
    Last edited by Brethren; 24th Apr 2005 at 18:05.

So much for the anonymity of the designers.

Requiem for a thief!

I think Requiem for a thief deserves a lot more votes than it's got. Maybe it's not as beautiful on the outside as some of the others, but "it's the inside that counts" (haven't heard that one before, have we?)!

Requiem for a thief has a lot going on under the surface. It's beautiful on all levels. It touched me in ways that none of the other contestants could.

I loved the atmosphere created by an excellent combination of sound, light and of course the eulogies. It all felt so serene and kind of "happysad". I think even Garrett would have been touched by the eulogies.

Beauty comes from within!

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i've figured them all out, but i'm not telling

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronze Griffin
    So much for the anonymity of the designers.
    My bad, I thought the contest was over on Saturday. Post edited.

Awww floop. I wish I could change my vote. It wouldnt make a difference but I just wanted to register my opinion.
    Meh, I was deciding whether to vote for surrounded or graveyard. I decided on surrounded because I thought it had a great atmosphere and the title was very good. Annoyingly my brain and my hand sometimes dont connect and I clicked on graveyard (which is a very good mission).
    Oh well, if I am allowed to change then -1 for grave and +1 for surrounded.
    They all rocked though

It's the 24th! Goodness. I think you are correct Brother Renault. I don't know what day it is. Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    i've figured them all out, but i'm not telling
    I think I have, too.

Pretty soon we'll all know for sure

Precisely in one and a half hours.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I've got them all figured out too... and I finally just voted. I didn't vote for my own submission, not because I think that's gauche (which I do), but because I didn't think it was the best. I voted for Hazelshade because it has such ambience, and character. And oh yeah, the fog rocks... especially if you slow it down a little in Dromed.

Voting is closed at last! I hope everyone that wanted to vote made their submissions, so let's get to business...

1st place - The Clocktower by Ottoj55
    2nd place - Hazelshade Cemetery by Nameless Voice
    3rd place - Requiem for a Thief by Yandros

4th place - St. Lazarius by Alexius (who didn't know that already?)
    5th place - Surrounded by the Metal Age by RSoul
    6th place - Ride the Butterfly by Moghedian
    7th place - A Nice Stroll by demagogue

A big congratulations to all the entries, special mentions to the first three places and a big lollipop is being sent to Ottoj55 as the prize! Congratulations!

Already did this once, but I'd like to thank NeKoeNMa again for organizing this contest. It was a lot of fun, and provided a happy excuse to drom up a little place without having to come up with a justification for it

The missions were all interesting, and each had something unique to offer. There wasn't a bad one in the bunch.

ps
    Kudos to those taffers who got to the top of the waterfall ! The current was supposed to prevent that , but you all outsmarted me

No doubt! All the entries were great...

I'd like to thank NeKoeNMa for holding the contest. It was fun, but I doubt I'll participate in any future contests... it cost me a month of dev time on my other missions.

I'd also like to thank everyone who voted for Requiem. I realized after finishing it that it would fit in nicely somewhere else, so I have plans to reuse it, in slightly modified form, as a camvator scene in one of my upcoming missions.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Yandros
    I'd also like to thank everyone who voted for Requiem. I realized after finishing it that it would fit in nicely somewhere else, so I have plans to reuse it, in slightly modified form, as a camvator scene in one of my upcoming missions.
    Just a camvator scene, eh? I was going to suggest that the room-sized light shafts and dust clouds were a bit overdone, but I guess a camvator-only approach would keep the player out of the areas where it doesn't look right.

Ah, the truth comes out.

I had all these big plans to begin with and really wanted to submit something (esp since I've been sitting on my FM for 2 years now ... heh! some of even the dull parts of that FM look better than my submission here! ), but then school overwhelmed me ... & I spent maybe 2-3 hours tops on mine -- no wonder it's so sparse.

Then there was a question, scrap it or submit what I have... But every time I walked thru it, something about the simplicity of it kept getting to me ... whoever said it was dreamy caught my feeling, the waterfall and its droning roar, the subdued grey-tones and slightly off-beat circles, the will-o-wisps, the windy watery path ... so I thought what the hell, why not? Maybe at least a few other people could appreciate it even if unfinished, and I'm happy that more than a few of you did!

But if I were to do it again, I would not have committed myself to submitting something unless I knew I could put in the obvious time needed to be fair to the contest and everyone participating (let this be a lesson for anyone thinking about taking on a project like this). So in that sense, apologies to everybody about that, and I think I said that in my readme. But again, I still hold to my *better to have submited than not* ... & you'll see better work from me soon enough! (Maybe I should release a redux version of A Nice Stroll that completes my vision).

Obviously, the other submissions deserve significant recognition ... I was literally blown away by the competition! But in a way that made me very happy ... I loved them!

Thanks NeKoeNMa for running such a great contest.

I wonder who that one person was who voted for my entry, and what sort of eye-sight problem must they have?!

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Just a camvator scene, eh? I was going to suggest that the room-sized light shafts and dust clouds were a bit overdone, but I guess a camvator-only approach would keep the player out of the areas where it doesn't look right.
    The only bit I found odd was not being dazzled by the low sunlight when looking directly up into a lightshaft. That broke it -just a tiny bit - for me, but not enough to spoil it. I suppose, though, that would be asking too much of Dromed.

BTW, well done Yandros, you managed to convey (imply?) a tantalising story. I hope you do use it in future

Ahh, so the masks are off. I guessed correctly about RSoul, Alexius and NV. Requiem was a gimme for obvious reasons. I thought Morrgan/Vigil for clocktower. Well done Ottoj55. The rest I had no idea.

Thanks for your efforts everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexius
    Laughter is nice too.
    5 minutes of laughter can substitute for a glass of milk.
    What of howls of derision?

Vigil reminded me of this competition and I made a brief investigation. The way Clocktower and Cemetary bend the Dark engine to their will reminds me of the more involved special effects employed by clever film-makers, I'm interested to see how that fog effect will be applied in other FMs. It's heartening to know that this kind of thing can be done, since I'm still as yet eyeing FleshEd with barely concealed distrust.

Brave New Dromed, eh.

I know Vigil is concerned that now every FM will have gratuitous use of NV's new fog, but I plan to use it in both of my upcoming missions.
    Hopefully, my use of it will be judicious.

ZylonBane
    You have to be careful with it. It's prone to z-sort errors in combination with objects (as can be seen in several spots in Hazelshade). That alone should temper its use somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
    What of howls of derision?
    DIDN'T SEE YOUR ENTRY UP THERE EH EH

This really is meant as a cheeky joke, just in case of

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast