TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Vote for an entry! (read topic header first)

Voters
157. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Nice Stroll

1 0.64%
  • Hazelshade Cemetery

40 25.48%
  • Requiem for a Thief

22 14.01%
  • Ride the Butterfly

2 1.27%
  • St. Lazarius

19 12.10%
  • Surrounded by the Metal Age

10 6.37%
  • The Clocktower

63 40.13%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: DromEd Beauty Contest!

Southquarter.com/fms
    yeah, but there's a little bit of truth in evey joke, or so they say...

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
    What of howls of derision?
    That's just uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Renault
    yeah, but there's a little bit of truth in evey joke, or so they say...
    I thought it was a little bit of joke in every truth ... that's a modern liberal education for you.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    so next time can we have more entries? i would love to see morrgan, vigil, eshaktaar or any of the others enter, i would love to see a newb completely dominate from nowhere, that would be neat, since its about style not content it is somewhat accesible.

The missions were good, I was impressed with the Cemetary. However, the Clocktower mission matched what I've always envisioned the City as, and did it with beauty. The atmosphere was dreary, foreboding, damp, and I think amazingly inspiring. If I ever wanted to give someone the best glimpse at the City, this mission serves that purpose perfectly. Especially the effect of the lightning lighting up the stained glass of the clockface was particularly enchanting. However, it was the textures and the colors that really just set me with a nostalgia that gave me the urge to just say "You know what? This just suits the City perfectly". I couldn't help my enthusiasm. I'm very impressed. Thank you all who worked so hard to make this contest a success, it was very fun to grade your efforts in turn. Adieu.
    Last edited by Ombrenuit; 28th Apr 2005 at 22:50.

How I came to build 'Hazeshade Cemetery'

I was reading this thread where Alexius was talking about his 'holy sky' and was thinking that it would be impossible to have moving clouds with that method of sky creation. (Alexius later pointed out that you can simply make the sky objects semi-transparent, so the clouds behind them are visible, but that's not important.)

So I was thinking of ways to make a 'cloud plane' object. I realised that it would never look good unless I used a .tga alpha map, so I went about making one. As I just wanted a flat plane, I used a bitmap effect rather than creating a custom object. I placed this 'sky plane' near the top of a test area to see what it would look like. Of course, since bitmaps are only rendered on one side, and I hadn't turned the object upside-down, I didn't see anything. So I lowered it down to ground level so I could see it from above...

Strangely enough, despite spending quite a bit of time trying to make a good fog texture, the original 'Photoshop rendered sky' which I created in a couple of seconds to test the effect looked better than everything else, so I stuck with that.

Having created this spectacular fog effect, I had to think of somewhere to use it. I remembered that the graveyards in Gothic II had wispy fog around them, so perhaps that's where I got the idea. Regardless, I never actually did anything with the fog for quite some time, and it remained in a 32x32x16 cube in a test mission. Then NeKoeNMa announced the Beauty Contest, and I thought about the fog and how it could be used. I considered saving it for a full FM, but I had no real place for it, so I decided to build Hazelshade Cemetery (the name was of course the last thing I invented, after the whole mission was built...)

A few other odd bits of information:
    Grid size used: 16 (Yes, honestly. I never went below 16!)

Number of original Thief 2 terrain textures used: 0
    (Although I did use one as an object texture for a window...)
    Number of original Thief 1 terrain textures used: 2

Oh, and I would like to thank NeKoeNMa for organising this contest, and everyone whose textures I used in Hazelshade Cemetery, especially Vigil, not only for his excellent light shafts but also for the great textures that made The Clocktower that much more beautiful.

- NV

Gah! Okay, so I'm a little biased, but I thought Alexius' mission fulfilled the simple criteria of 'beauty' better than the others. Those new 'cowled figure' portraits are typical Alexius but stuff like the lone tree and the winged dark angel (ahem, breasts ) are gorgeous and it was a nice touch with the story, too.

Perhaps because I've seen the lightning effect used in Richard Cull's excellent (and under-rated) missions, like 'A Smugglers Request', The Clocktower didn't interest me as much as it did others. Hazelshade's fog, of course, was amazing, but isn't there a secret area beneath the mausoleum that I haven't been able to get to yet?

BTW, I'd rate Requiem higher, only the beauty of this mission lies in its idea. Although the cathedral looks like a nice morning location, it makes me think we should have a contest entry based on great gimmicks.
    Hammerite Imperium Writer and Voice Actor inc. Oblivion mods - Lost Spires, Origin of the Mages Guild, Gates to Aesgaard & Silgrad Tower

i don't think there's anything under the floor, other than an upside down copy of the room to complete the polished floor effect. i felt that alexius' had a nice looking mission, but i see lots of little things that could be improved, things like floor texturing in some halls was too simple, didn't match the walls, but overall i'm impressed, if the imperium looks that good it will be a treat.

The majority of the Imperium is superior to that already anyhow, being more varied and less hurriedly put together - IMO the contest entry isn't really a fair display of Alexius' aesthetic. Also the Imperium is not ALL made by Alexius.

Honestly, beauty is also about presentation. The tower was a more interesting design and more unique (the beauty was the view!), but even though the imperium mission was beautiful, it was only two hallways branching from a room essentially. It didn't strike me as quite unique or anything I hadn't seen before, while it was beautiful I wasn't awed by it. It wasn't fun to explore. (my opinion) Now, as for gimmicks...what do you expect from the general public? We look at the superficial layer, and we are awed.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Ombrenuit
    Honestly, beauty is also about presentation. The tower was a more interesting design and more unique.
    Agreed. If this was a "Beautiful Textures" contest, Alexius would have won hands down. But beatuty in dromed is more about interesting structures and environments. I thought all the hallways in Lazarius all looked the same, all the color schemes were the same, and the whole mission was on one level (no stairs or even a window to see areas above or below). After you get over the initial "wow" factor on the textures, the level is surprisingly dull.

That's why I think he let himself down slightly. It was based on an old multibrush or something...

I imagine Alexius' entry failed to place higher because those who played it were struck blind by the sheer gauche spectacle of it and were consequently unable to find the correct button on the poll.

It was because of the tits, I tell ya

Good effort everyone!

Tits, yes... but I liked it, too!

Let's not over-analyze this, folks. By "Beauty", I thought "pleasant to look at". That's it.

While tits are always nice (when nubile, bountiful, and erect, of course), the detailed architecture was most impressive.... arguable... But, no one can argue with the fact that the Tower was more original and detailed.....ok, SOMEONE probably CAN argue.....

However, to defend my vote, the "WOW" factor had to be given to the Cemetery! ...THE FOG....OMG, THE FOG!!!! ... IMHO... hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed
    I imagine Alexius' entry failed to place higher because those who played it were struck blind by the sheer gauche spectacle of it and were consequently unable to find the correct button on the poll.
    nah. It's because I worked only 10 days on it, really.
    and yes, twas based on few old multibrushes.
    Final exams got in my way.
    Also, cause clocktower and cemetary were simply delightfull.
    That's all. Everything else is just silly assumptions.
    Last edited by Alexius; 2nd May 2005 at 12:21.

Also - sometimes people want to dislike something so much that they actually succeed. It's a shame really, but it's about grudges, personal vendettas, and clashing attitudes, ultimately. Not saying that that's necessarily a factor here, but it does happen.

Regardless, thanks for the great entries, all! DromEd and the Dark Engine are (clearly) far from dead.

sometimes people want to dislike something so much that they actually succeed. It's a shame really, but it's about grudges, personal vendettas, and clashing attitudes, ultimately.
    Wow! I could not possibly disagree more! The attitudes here in the Thief Fan Missions Forum are SO TOTALLY congratulatory and non-combative. When ANY FM author releases ANYTHING it is revered and praised to the point of almost ridiculousness (especially mine). This is all very, VERY GOOD! Without this type of attitude, (IMHO), there would be FAR, FAR, FAR less FM releases, which would be,... technically speaking... BAD! Bad, bad, bad!!!

So, the lesson for today, kids, is:

Praising, encouraging, and playing new FMs=GOOD!
    criticizing, negatively judging, and bashing new FMs=BAD, BAD, BAD!!!!

class dismissed.

But if FMers would recieve more constructive, fair, criticism, wouldn't FMs be even better quality than they're now ?

Perhaps a combination of carrot and stick? constructive criticism and praise?

I think if I were to create an FM I'd like the criticism in a PM but the praise open to public view!

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanret
    Wow! I could not possibly disagree more!
    Let me emphasize a keyword a little better:
    sometimes people want to dislike something so much that they actually succeed.
    Also sometimes (emphasis in advance), the same mission submitted by someone else will receive more praise. It's undeniable.

Just sayin', is all.

honestly as a fm designer i wish i would get stronger negative feedback during beta phase, i produce fairly detailed beta reports for people, and a lot of it is about architecture, but the only way to get good is to work at it a lot. we need more of these contests because it shows the potential this engine still has. i enjoyed this a lot more than my current projects because it was a nice break.

i want any response i can get.

(but not for my entry here ... it sucked, but only b/c I only spent like an hour on it -- unless you liked it, then you can tell me that...)

Bravo, everyone! It seems that the Dark Engine's death has been greatly exaggerated! Overall the contest got me thinking (especially the ground fog) about the supposed limitations of Dromed. Can we get mirrors working, despite the challenge?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast