TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T3Ed Functionality Progress (Rope Arrows, Swimmable Water, etc.)

T3Ed Functionality Progress (Rope Arrows, Swimmable Water, etc.)

I thought I'd start a new thread with the focus of returning T1 & 2 functionality (and then some) to T3. Here's a list of some projects I'm interested in:

T3Ed Projects
    Last edited by ascottk; 2nd Sep 2005 at 13:47. Reason: Update

The thread on Garrett's appearance could use some bumping, considering the fact that if we can change the animation slightly, it could mean the end of all the wonky movement.

Great collection of threads! sounds like at least some of the stuff is close to being brought back, and at least edible food really is back... I'd also like to add this thread : Hammer and Swords as hidable evidence
    This promises to add/restore a nice level of realism, akin to T1/2 where the swords don't clank onto the ground when you bj an unsuspecting guard...

are none of those threads wiki'd?
    Of couse, when you enter Parliament, you will all also be ripped to the teats on fine cocaine...

most are still "under developmet" so there's no huge reason to wiki them (even though anyone with a wiki acount would be able to edit and contribute to them.)

Quote Originally Posted by jolynsbass
    This promises to add/restore a nice level of realism, akin to T1/2 where the swords don't clank onto the ground when you bj an unsuspecting guard...
    I desperately hope that by "bj" you mean "blackjack"

BANNED
    Hurrah! The oldest double entendre in the Thief community.
    I haven't heard that one since the Ion boards closed.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja
    The thread on Garrett's appearance could use some bumping, considering the fact that if we can change the animation slightly, it could mean the end of all the wonky movement.
    Garrett's movement will be wonky as long as his feet don't instantly align with his head when moving. And that seems like something that'll require a code change to correct.

(glares at the ex-Ion programmers)

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectX
    I desperately hope that by "bj" you mean "blackjack"
    Of course that's what I meant!

I dont mean to sound ignorant, but is there some way to remove the whole body awareness thing and go back to having a floating arm? would that solve the whole movement thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bacon
    I dont mean to sound ignorant, but is there some way to remove the whole body awareness thing and go back to having a floating arm? would that solve the whole movement thing?
    It would but I think body awareness is hard coded into the game. Perhaps someone will find a way to hack non body awareness in but I would have no idea where to begin.

I'm extending my rope arrow tutorial to cover customising arrows in general at the moment - it'll be wikied soon (hopefully).

How about fixing that annoying 'no sound' when crouching bug? Or the 'bug' where when a guard gets excited he runs off away from you 90% of the time, not to be seen for another 5 mins or so

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoons
    How about fixing that annoying 'no sound' when crouching bug? Or the 'bug' where when a guard gets excited he runs off away from you 90% of the time, not to be seen for another 5 mins or so
    No sound while crouching isn't a bug unfortunately. It's hard coded into the game. They were meant to be that way. Take a look at the schema meta file with a hex editor, there are no crouching schemas. The schemas for crouching were included with the editor though, so it might be possible to rebuild the schema meta files with the crouching schemas back in. Although, I really don't know if they could be called upon by the game as I've tried getting them to work as a custom schema and have had no luck.

What about Garretts invulnerability to most blunt weapon attacks when he crouches? Any ideas about changing that?

Has anyone tried just making a short Kurshok (after all, they are very tall), and seeing if he can hit a crouching player? Could just be that his weapon collision radius thingy is too high off the ground.

Its the Hammers too, according to a discussion a few weeks ago. And the thugs with pick axes I think. One style of attack hits a crouching Garrett, the overhead swing. Is it possible to simply increase the frequency that blunt weaponed/Kurshok/whatever AIs use the overhead swing?

or

Re-skin a city guard with a Hammerite uniform, and the guards sword with a single handed warhammer, obviously a bit more involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximius
    Re-skin a city guard with a Hammerite uniform, and the guards sword with a single handed warhammer, obviously a bit more involved.
    In T3 the combat movement seems to be linked to the weapon, rather than the character, so if you give an ordinary guard a warhammer he will use it just like a Hammerite would.

I see your point about switching weapons but what about disguising the sword to look like a hammer? Could the sword be reskinned to look like a single handed hammer? So I would attach the "hammer" to a Hammerite AI and he would wield it like a sword. It may be a neat way to introduce a new class of Hammer warrior, perhaps with a shield as well, perhaps some female troops too.

Good luck on the female warriors. The only female combat voice we have is for the female thug. Rather boring if you use it too much.

Maybe some industrious soul would like to record a few sets of voices?

Irrational Games
    Couldn't the search radius of the weapon just be made larger? I thought I saw a parameter like that somewhere in the archetypes.

Nomad of the Pacific: Guess we will have to wait. BTW I miss the racial/sexual diversity of the first two games, Id like to see it all back.It made me respect LGS all the more. And the freaking SCOUTING ORBS

At least the Dark Mod is promising to include voices for combatant females. I never asked them about anything like the scouting orb, though. I'm sure their standard equipment will vary from those included in Thief. It should be interesting!

Whats really sad is I still find my self flipping through my inventory to look for an orb when I need to peek around the corner. Especially with the Minimalist installed, I think Im back in Baffords Manor again....sniffle....surely the DarkMod will save us!

Nomad, let me run this idea past you, tell me what you think. Ever toy with the idea of giving Garrett a familiar? Like a witches cat or rat or toad or bat kinda familiar. Here is what I envision:

Garrett finds a spell scroll on a mission that tells him to find a rat and recite the incantation.(Can live rats be made frobbable? If so, it could be a fun little game trying to catch an unwilling rat!) When he does, the rat becomes his buddy. Here are the advantages:

When Garrett deploys the familiar, its much like the scouting orb but with a light gem. He now sees through the eyes of the rodent.(I even thought of putting a little graphic of rat feet running in front of the camera view.) So its like looking through a scouting orb, but you can move around. You can climb certain surfaces as well, tapestries, wood, brick, rock. But you have to creep, if you move too quickly youll fall off. Too far up and SPLAT! And heres the real bitch, the rats damage becomes Garretts damage too, or maybe like 50 percent. The rat dies, Garretts health drops 50 %.

So you are like a mobile scouting orb, but it gets better. Cause you can also pick up some items, one at a time, for Garrett. Small stuff only, keys, gems, scraps of paper, coins, etc. You can pick pocket AIs as well, but watch your light gem cause if they see you CRUNCH. Oh, and if a cat sees you MUNCH.

I dont know whats possible and whats not, but whaddya think?

that does't really sound like a garrett sort of thang... maybe the wierd pagan trained lass from T2X... I always though the idea of a rolling scouting orb would be pretty cool, but even the normally functioning scouting orb in TS would be neat (without 3rd person of course)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast