TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the Hammer ?

Fett pictures Wynne shoving her underpants at people...I'll just stop there...

Short-ranged gas weapon - that's just what I was thinking (minus the underwear) the other day. I rarely use gas arrows over great distances.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Hellloooo McFly? In a campy zombie spoof like They Hunger, the umbrella fit in perfectly. It was supposed to be absurd. The whole thing was absurd. Ha ha. Joke. Get it?
    Running around hitting zombies with an umbrella in area after area....nope, it got old really quick. Maybe you're just easier to amuse than I am.

I love the hammer, it's really satisfying to use.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont
    Running around hitting zombies with an umbrella in area after area....nope, it got old really quick. Maybe you're just easier to amuse than I am.
    And hitting zombies with a crowbar wouldn't have gotten old?

Quote Originally Posted by fett
    Fett pictures Wynne shoving her underpants at people...I'll just stop there...
    Now there's an interesting image!

Okay so the hammer isn't all that realistic as a "knock out" weapon, because in real life it would tend towards fatalities. But let's try and engage the imagination a bit here, shall we? Thick rubber on the end or something...

You can take artistic criticism a bit too far, you know. How accurately realistic was Thief trying to be in the first place? I'd imagine a blackjack could be pretty deadly if aimed at the top-centre of the head, for example.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by chis
    Okay so the hammer isn't all that realistic as a "knock out" weapon, because in real life it would tend towards fatalities. But let's try and engage the imagination a bit here, shall we?
    Why? The hammer is an utterly capricious, "change for change's sake" substitution with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The makers of this campaign obviously strived hard to make a compelling plot and characters, and this is undermined every time I see Zaya wielding a frickin' claw hammer. If I can figure out a way to mod it out, I will.

As much as it pains me to admit it, I agree with ZylonBane, and if a mod becomes available for a blackjack replacement I'll be first in line.

But hammer aside, what I've seen so far of T2X (I've just reached The City Sleeps) is brilliant. Well done to all involved for all the hard work.

And hitting zombies with a crowbar wouldn't have gotten old?
    Of course it gets old, but I feel less stupid in the meantime.

Why? (snip, snip)
    Ugh, I know I'm just feeding the trolls here so I'm going to leave it at this: Zylon, you're being too critical. Yes, you are. T2X didn't cost you a thing to download, so why can't you enjoy it for what it is?

Oh, right, I see, you're one of these people that likes to find the smallest problem with something and blow it out of all proportion. We'd be better off locking the thread.

There IS fiction behind it, and ALL of her equipment.

You'll note that very few of the items she carries are the type purchased from a typical fence - most are mystical and pagan in nature, as they came from Malak, and that those more "mechanical" items only begin appearing slightly later in the game as she becomes less dependant on him (beginning in Miss4, where she leaves Malak for the first time, going to Sunnyport). For her sword and, yes, hammer, these were items brought with her from her ship when she landed at the docks.

I'm a bit fond of the hammer. While it does seem a bit 'brutal', it also fits the character. "Not a master thief but using whatever I had on hand and doing my best".

And it's no less beleivable than knocking everyone out perfectly with a blackjack in a single strike WITHOUT killing anyone. If it can be beleived that a character could perform a perfect KO on anyone in their way, why is it so hard to beleive that another character could pull her swings? The same level of precision would be needed weilding both weapons, and it's a video game. A little suspension of beleif isn't going to kill anyone.

Anyone who thinks what ultimately amounts to a small graphical and audial change with no impact on the actual gameplay somehow 'ruins' what one of the most impressive fan mods for thief -and potentially one of the more impressive fan mods for ANY game- needs to quit playing surrogate 'comic book guy' and try to relax a little.

The hairpin lockpick as well? Now that was a realistic, and well chosen, addition. Zaya is hardly likely to start out with proper thieving gear, is she? Nice one chaps. (Sorry, can't seem to keep the fanboy-ism at bay! )

I just can't shake the 'Manhunt' feeling when branishing a claw hammer. So far, all the equipment has been tailored to it's specific purpose, the hammer just feels like she picked it up en route because she left her blackjack behind. To me it just comes off as unwieldy and crude compared to the finesse of your other kit.

I think it the hammer might have been a bit...excessive. One thing I'd like see (and probably too hard to implement) is cloroform or something similar made up for the thief-universe.
    One bottle would have enough to take down say 8 persons quitly. Drunks would need a double dose because of higher tolerance.
    This way you'd be a bit more careful about whom you put to "sleep".

Poor Benny is such a lush, he would be in the closet sniffing the chloroform bottle all the time :-)

I LOVE the hairpin lock pick! It is perfect.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by driver
    As much as it pains me to admit it, I agree with ZylonBane, and if a mod becomes available for a blackjack replacement I'll be first in line.
    Then here, you get to be the guinea pig: t2x_blackjack.zip

Unzip directly into the Thief folder.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 22nd Mar 2010 at 12:32. Reason: URL

blackjack mod

Hi ZyloneBane

I downloaded your mod, unzipped it and put it in C:\ProgramFiles \thief2 folder. It is sitting on the page with all the other stuff. What do I do now. I've still got the hammer. Step by step would be much appreciated for this slightly dim taffer.

There's a readme included in the mod, the instructions are in there.

Just fired it up now, and the blackjack was present and correct. Thanks ZB, you made my day.

Third in line, well done ZB. I don't like the hammer either.

Done it ZB. Read the txt file, but did wrong, first off. Many thanks, feel more relaxed about biffing AIs now.

Hey Ho

ZylonBane
    Y'know, prior to putting this mini-mod together, I'd never realized how truly bad the default TMA blackjack arm model is. If you take a screenshot of it in mid-swing, in good light, there's all sorts of glitches in it. The T2X model really is superior. It's just a shame about the hammer.

Thanks for the modification ZB - more options can only be a good thing.

I don't like it much.

I got excited when
    spoiler:
    Zaya was standing over the table in the cutscene looking at all the thief tools. I thought, she is getting her blackjack here and mallak is gonna teach her how to use it... TEE HEE. But she got a big rusty hammer instead

My main problem is screen real estate. Same problem I had with the frying pan. not only does the actual hammer in hand take up too much of the right side of the screen for my liking, its graphical representation on the left seems too large as well.

I understand reality went out with flaming arrows in my inventory, but the blackjack was small, stealthy, and sleak, this hammer doesn't seem like it would conceal well or be extremely easy to carry.

I still love the game much (i don't think it fair to call this a mod) but to answer the question, my preference would be to either keep the blackjack or find a smaller more subtle device for a female to carry.

Hmmm, I don't really have a problem with the hammer at all. I've been hit in the head with a hammer, quite hard in fact, and while it sent me falling backwards out of the tree I was building a tree house in, it sure didn't kill me. Maybe we're all thinking a little too much about this. It gets the job done and I think it fits the character. It's her first time out, she's not going to have all the "official" tools of the trade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast