TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4914192425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving some low-quality original objects?

Clearinghouse
    Cool.
    Looks like original Astronomical Clock.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Cool.
    Looks like original Astronomical Clock.

lol

Nice, Nameless Voice.

Not too long ago I made some ribbon scrolls using the EP scroll as a base, so it occurred to me to make an EP version of the HammerScroll:

Download:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/hamscrol.zip

The Architect
    Good timing, R!

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Tweaked the cap to be slightly narrower. I think it looks a lot better now:

And no, this doesn't change the "never EP" that Digi talked about. I just did this one model. Because.
    Hey NV sorry to bump the thread and ask a silly question, but I noticed in another thread you mentioned this one and said that you never updated the EP. What I don't understand is, this picture was taken and posted BEFORE the EP came out. So let me understand then, you still didn't use it in the final pack?

That screenshot is from May 2008. The EP was released on the 1st of January 2008.

OH... totally my bad. I was getting the Enhancement pack confused with Tos' multiplayer patch, which was released in november of 2008. This all makes sense now. Sorry.

Pagan Book

Return of the rusty metal

Original

Old EP

New

Definitely higher resolution detail. but shouldn't rusty metal be a bit more dinged up? To my mind this looks brand new. I'm thinking more surface corrosion depth might be a good thing on them.

ZylonBane
    Pagan Book
    Any way to appy some beveling action to that pagan symbol? In the original texture it's clearly supposed to be heavy leather in relief.

On a related note, some amazing actual book covers here:
    http://smu.edu/bridwell/specialcolle...Highlights.htm

I agree about the bevelling.

Subtle difference, but I think it makes it look better. More would probably look silly.

Edit: Made the embossing clearer by removing most of the roughness and wear on the symbol.

Unsure about the dents in the rusty metal - clearly defined dents would make the repeats in the textures even more obvious.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 9th Jun 2010 at 15:10.

Round potions

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    Damn NV, I wish that you did it before.....I retextured all the rusty objects that I needed a few months ago....I can't tell about the result though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rowena View Post
    Damn NV, I wish that you did it before.....I retextured all the rusty objects that I needed a few months ago....I can't tell about the result though.
    I made at least some of those a long time ago, but I was too scared to post them in case you saw them!

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    I made at least some of those a long time ago, but I was too scared to post them in case you saw them!

ZylonBane
    I agree about the bevelling.

Subtle difference, but I think it makes it look better. More would probably look silly.

Edit: Made the embossing clearer by removing most of the roughness and wear on the symbol.
    To me, that looks worse now... very sharp and stamped and colored-in, not like a rough-hewn pagan book would look. Also, the symbol itself is subtly wrong. The top arc isn't a solid region in the original, it's two lines. The top circle isn't solid either.

Hooray for old beat-up pagan lore!

Plain version:

Extra red version:

Awesome

Definitely the middle one, I'd say. Does this mean the end goal is to replace all the stock objects?

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Does this mean the end goal is to replace all the stock objects?
    It always was. But that doesn't mean I'm going to do that.
    I've done most of the "easy" models, and most of the things which are left are somehow "awkward" and I don't want to do them, so it's someone else's turn now.

For example, the crystals and the arrows that use them. They badly need replacing, but looking at for example the fire crystal I see that the original is made by an odd texture that doesn't really fit, but somehow works in the case of the original because it's so low resolution that you can't really see what it is - yet this bizarre choice of texture is now the iconic appearance of the fire crystal, so a replacement needs to a) look like a fire crystal but b) still look sufficiently like the original.

I know Targa has made replacement arrows before, but they certainly didn't meet requirement b (plus, for some reason he thought the arrow shafts should be the same colour as the crystal, instead of being made of wood).

Plain version:
    Could use some rough leather effects just like the original. ZB's reference image is probably what LGS had in mind back then for pagan tome.

Round potions
    I think the glass should be very smooth and polished as these are rather rare or expensive potions. Original potions always reminded me of simple round beakers aka round-bottom flask.

That new rust texture has very good colors but it could maybe use some rough rust effects. Some cheap noise effects could do the job quickly.

Jeez, people are picky picky....

Quote Originally Posted by nicked
    Definitely the middle one, I'd say
    I agree with nicked... the old one was red, and seemed out of place in comparison to the original book. Anyhow, what's with these images all of a sudden NV? Are you planning on updating the EP again? Teasing me with these images only makes me want to see them in game now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wille View Post
    I think the glass should be very smooth and polished as these are rather rare or expensive potions. Original potions always reminded me of simple round beakers aka round-bottom flask.
    This is far truer to the original models, but I don't like it as much:

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4914192425262728293031323334 ... LastLast