TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4914192429303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Improving some low-quality original objects?

Is there somewhere in FMs a high-poly invisible/slowdown potion and a pagan fruit? I don't remember. It would be nice to replace an original.

I made high-poly invisibility and slowfall potions for the EP. I don't think they were ever publicly released, though.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I could use one of these too (a higher poly, but still low poly replacement for LC_Cthulhu - lcstat2). Eshaktaar's The Sleeper really isn't a drop in replacement ...
    Reiterating the request you quoted - I can drop in an update right up to release (which is hopefully before the end of the year).

Yandros told me that my fixed sheriff's guard (where I filled in the holes in his head) would allow the Mesh Textures property to be used, and MeshUp would not work. I started again with this model, improving on the improvements I made last time. I also used MeshUp so people can use the texture replacement property.

http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/fixedcop.html

Hello old EP thread, you seem to have slept through all of 2013, but you're back now!

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    The EP already has the fancybed object, but I've never been too keen on it. So yesterday I finally got round to making my own version:

The texture names aren't the same as the originals, so if you want to compare it with the original/current EP version, just rename my bin filename.
    Since I had to edit this anyway, to make it use the old texture names (and tweak the UV mapping a bit), I decided to do some extra work on the textures too:

I think the gaps between the threads are far too big. It might look better with that layer shrunk and tiled.

While I'm here I'd like to point out that my emergency lights didn't make it into the latest EP:

http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/emerglts.html

And some of the Victorian doors require smooth shading for their materials.
    Last edited by R Soul; 24th Nov 2014 at 19:38.

The two wall lights look great, but I'm a little unsure about the ground emergency light.

Does the original model only have 5 sides because they didn't have enough polygon budget to make it round, or simply because it's meant to be pentagonal?
    Personally, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Any chance of making a pentagonal version? I'm not sure if the pole under the light should also be pentagonal, or if it should be round.

Updated alarm light textures:

A round shape allows it to sustain knocks and other collisions with less chance of it getting broken.

Classical Master 2008
    The angular shape gives the object its own character, though. It is a fine line to walk, but slightly "blocky" objects look great in an industrial setting.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Wouldn't it make more sense for those lights to be octagonal, given the texture and how it's mapped?

To me, a 5 sided shape never looks like it has character. It just looks like an attempt to keep the poly count down in the late 1990s. I do see the point about an angular look. Before NewDark I started to think arches and 'round' towers should either be 8 sided (aligned by sides), which looks like a deliberate architectural choice, or made with the 3-cylinders method to make a good curve. I felt that 10 sided cylinders were neither here nor there.

Anyway, I have bowed down to the utterly relentless peer pressure and made an 8 sided ground emergency light:

The original object inherits Render Type: Unlit, which you see in the above image. Only the light should be lit, and once again the materials allow this for your own missions:

Here is the download link: http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/emergL2_8sides.zip

I like it.

Ah, I made a five-sided version last week.

I also added a gamesys DML to override the unlit property and set self-lit, so that the metal point is suitably dark and only the lamp part glows.

I think I added a slightly bit of glow (20%) to the metal to compensate, but nowhere near the 100% glow that the original had.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 7th Dec 2014 at 18:55.

@NV - I like the way your metal part still has some brightness, without being fully lit nor pitch black.
    But I don't really understand how would you want to see 5 sided objects in this game anymore? I don't see anything intentional in 5 sided cylinders, unless there was a pentagram design on top of it or something.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    But I don't really understand how would you want to see 5 sided objects in this game anymore? I don't see anything intentional in 5 sided cylinders, unless there was a pentagram design on top of it or something.
    Which do you think is easier to make in real life-- something with flat sides, or something rounded?

My argument was not about rounded vs flat, but rather 5-sided vs 6 or 8 sided. I just haven't seen anything of a "medievalish" design with 5 sides. I would go for 6 or 8.

Even your example has 8 sides...

I saw a VicDoor that was not smooth shaded. Here's a fixed version:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/5m...yc/M04vdr05.7z

I'm also working on a demo mission that shows every object from the hierarchy, so people can quickly look at all the objects and see if there are any that still need updating. One thing this mission has shown me is that the latest core_1\blustn texture also needs to be copied to obj\txt16
    Last edited by R Soul; 5th Jan 2015 at 19:11.

Have you seen the EP test mission? I think I released a version of it at one point, but I can't remember.

Basically, every (.... most) EP objects are copied, with original models and textures, and the map uses an insane number of S&Rs to swap between the two versions of all the models, allowing you to easily compare the models.

I remember a small test mission, but nothing with every object.

It was only objects that had been updated by the EP, not every object in the game. And it was made at a time when the upgraded objects were fewer anyway.

I still add things to it occasionally to test, but it has far from every object.

On a different topic, I never quite decided what to do with your Bafford's throne; I'm a bit hesitant because the textures and mapping are very different to the original, though I don't know if any FMs actually use the model with different textures.
    I don't see how you can avoid the problem of the "backwards B" with high-res textures without changing the mapping, though. It's a tough one.

I think you should use it, but then I would say that wouldn't I?

It's better than the original, and I doubt many people have used a retextured version that depends on the original bad UV mapping.

edit: Oh dear. I just saw the model name of the healing fruit
    Last edited by R Soul; 6th Jan 2015 at 17:46.

Most of the Victorian doors are using flat shading, with the new 3D shape causing unpleasant lighting effects. Here is a package with phong shading applied:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/r1...VDoorsPhong.7z

(Well it's not Phong shading, it's Gouraud, but most of us call it Phong)

I thought I took out the 3D doors?
    I certainly considered doing so, since they caused too many problems with FMs that used custom door textures, and never really looked that great anyway.

Thoughts?

Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4914192429303132333435363738 ... LastLast