TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Have tried everything but still doesn't work

Have tried everything but still doesn't work

I have read through some other peoples threads who posted about the game crashing but was wondering whether the following setup is known to cause problems:

AMD Athlon 3000+ processor
    K8V motherboard
    Nvidia Geforce 6800

For me the game crashes whenever a movie is about to be played even though they work in windows media player normally. I have installed the game with the patch in the right order, enabled safe texture manager, installed all the latest codecs and video card driver but I still just get an error message.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm really, really anxious to play!

Does normal Thief 2 work?
    Have you tried the 84.21 drivers instead of the latest release?
    Have you tried the solutions offered on this page?

Normal Thief 2 works fine. I just downgraded my video card driver to 84.21 but that hasn't changed anything but cheers for the help.

Do you have any other suggestions? Is there a way to just not show movies?

Maybe renaming or moving them will allow them to be skipped?
    (for all I know though, there could be and error popup and it still wouldn't run)

Thief2X

Quote Originally Posted by sam123 View Post
    installed all the latest codecs
    Are you using the VP3 codec that was shipped with T2X? Or are you using a more modern version? It could be that thief itself is having trouble with the newer version. Try uninstalling the vp3 codec and installing the one that comes with t2x. It can be found in one of the t2x directories.

I renamed it and it just bypassed the movie and worked!

Thanks so much, that's awesome!

Duncan, I think I tried it before installing the K-lite codecs with the one that came with it but it didn't work then either.

Thief2X

There have been reported problems with using K-Lite codec pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenacis View Post
    I've tried nearly everything I've come across on these boards. Things I've tried.

1.) Installing the K-Lite Codec Pack.
    2.) Reinstalling the Indeo codecs using iv5Setup.exe.
    3.) Loading the LGVID.AX file before play.

No dough with any of 'em. The videos play fine using Media Player Classic.

Interestingly enough, before doing any of these things, the videos just weren't loading. I'd click "Intro" at the main menu, the screen would go black for a second, then return to the main menu. After doing one or two of the above steps, click intro causes the screen to go black, and then crashes the game.

And a possible fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenacis View Post
    I was watching the intro video in WMP and realized that every time I loaded one of the videos, an external program, ffdshow(A decoder packaged with the K-Lite Codec Pack) was loading - and every time I closed WMP after watching one of the vids, it'd shut itself off. So I did a bit of puttering around with the ffdshow, and realized that it was set as a decoder for the VP3 codec that Shadows of the Metal Ages uses. So, I tried turning that option off. The videos worked fine in WMP still, and, after trying 'em in the game, they run fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeshibu View Post
    Maybe renaming or moving them will allow them to be skipped?
    (for all I know though, there could be and error popup and it still wouldn't run)
    Yes!!!!!!!!!! thanks alot.... your simple trick really worked... I removed the movies and wowww... Thanks, thanks, thanks

AMD Radeon HD 6570, catalyst drivers 12.1
    Windows 7 64-bit
    AMD Phenom X4 2.8ghz
    4gb of ram
    ----
    I tried renaming movies directory and that didn't work. I believe I have an old version of t2x that I had installed while I was still on Windows XP and just copied over my old thief 2 installation (with t2x intact.) I have the codec directory with the vp3 codec installer, but that was made for XP and below so I'm not sure I should try installing that on 7.

I've checked cam.cfg, darkinst.cfg, put the same compatibility settings from my thief2.exe onto t2x.exe, I even checked to make sure ddfix.ini was in there (which it was, but I overwrote it with the new one just in case and that had no effect.) Don't know what to do, short of reinstalling t2x but I have my doubts that this will fix the problem.

Hi sNeaksieGarrett,

1. First of all make sure you're playing with T2X version 1.1. If you are unsure just check if the t2x folder has a file named 'version_1_1_readme.txt'. If it doesn't download v1.1 from here.

2. If you're dealing with version 1.1:
      You don't need to use t2x.exe. It was just supplied for backwards compatibility with v1.0. Just make a shortcut to thief2.exe and set its 'Start in:' folder to the t2x folder. And use that shortcut to start T2X.

3. If that doesn't fix anything:
      What happens if you try to start T2X?

Do you get to see the opening screen?
      Do you get to hear the opening screen sounds (waves and seagulls)?

If not you're probably dealing with a broken darkinst.cfg in the t2x folder. Easiest way to fix this is to open it up (using notepad or some other plain text editor) and change its contents to
      Code:
      cd_path d:\
      install_path ..\
      language english
      resname_base +..\res
      load_path 
      script_module_path +..
      movie_path movies
      Copy the cd_path value from the darkinst.cfg in the thief2 folder. If that value is a relative path (ie not a drive letter) make sure it points to the same folder. Most likely "..\" will do in that case.

4. If changing the darkinst.cfg doesn't change anything chances are that some file did not get copied properly. I'd advise you to redownload and install. Be sure to copy ddfix.ini again.

2. Nope, didn't work by thanks for the suggestion. When I launch thief 2, it crashes with the "thief 2 has stopped working" error window. I should have also mentioned that I'm using thief 2 multiplayer patch with my thief2.exe, so the little multiplayer console pops up before going to trying to go to the game.

3. My darkinst.cfg looks like this:

Code:
    ;cd_path D:\
    install_path C:\Games\Thief2\
    language english
    resname_base C:\Games\Thief2\t2x+.\res
    load_path C:\games\Thief2\t2x+.\
    script_module_path C:\games\Thief2\t2x+.\
    movie_path C:\games\Thief2\t2x\movies+.\movies
    4. Possible, though before I upgraded to windows 7 I recall playing t2x without fail on launching the game with this install of thief 2 I believe.

EDIT: I changed my darkinst.cfg to the one that you posted in code tags above and t2x works! Thank you! I did change the cd path to e:\ though. I'm not really sure whether that mattered or not, because it's commented out for regular thief. Not sure why you used ..\ isntead of .\ but perhaps it was that which fixed the problem, or maybe it was just that my paths were too long?
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 23rd Feb 2012 at 16:19. Reason: update on situation

The problem was indeed with your previous darkinst settings.. Your original resname_base and script_module_path used a relative path, the original Thief2 installer doesn't use relative paths and the T2X installer leaves them unchanged while, due to their relative form, they should have been altered to deal with the different "Start in:" folder.

Good to find that you got it to work.. have fun!