TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: T3Ed interface annoyances - change/fix wishlist

T3Ed interface annoyances - change/fix wishlist

I've been playing around with a handy Windows API program called Spy++ (it comes with Visual C++), and have determined that all of T3Ed is made up of standard Windows controls. It's therefore quite easy to modify the interface in any way we want. It may also be relatively easy to insert additional functionality, perhaps even without modifying t3ed.exe; I'm still looking into that.

Note that I'm not proposing to modify the .exe; at least not yet. There's a lot that can be done with the Windows API.

So is there anything that people would like changed about T3Ed? Don't restrict yourself to interface issues; wish away. Not all of your wishes may be possible, but that's fine; mention them anyway!

I have a few items on my wishlist already:

- Make the default button for Viktoria errors "Continue" instead of "Save".
    - Make it possible to automatically "Continue" on user-selected Viktoria errors. My copy keeps complaining at me about a certain script "attempting to be added twice"; it'd be nice to be able to permanently ignore trivial errors like these instead of clicking "Continue" every time I open the script editor.
    - Rename the "Send to Xbox" menu item with something more sensible, like "Play level with sound" or "Play level, no debug" or whatever.
    - Stop the texture editor from appearing on startup all the time.

A bigger viewport for the static meshbrowser.

Seconding that.

My Wishlist

I. Tab (or hide) the minimized windows like the actor, trigger script, etc. so I can easily access what those things are covering.

II. Get rid of the Obsolete stuff (find those "obsolete" things & find out if they actually are obsolete - the texture properties. I haven't totally explored which functions work & which do not).

III. More properties for the textures. If we can override the materials by right-clicking a texture then we really wouldn't need the *.mlb files.

IV. More comments in the actor browser or a reference to the wiki when it grows. T3Ed could have a database that can updatted from the wiki.

V. Right click functionality on the toolbars.

which toolbars do you mean? the ones above each viewport? if so its there you just have to know where to click. the best bets are between the "realtime preview" button and "hide actors during pan button" or between the ion button and everything after that. or do you mean somthing else like a larger area or somthing?

The very top toolbar. The New, Open, Save, etc. I like to customize my toolbars.

ah so you want to be able to move it around like in word or photoshop.

Resizing the static mesh viewport is probably possible. I'll have to play around with it to see if it updates intelligently when I do so, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ascottk
    I. Tab (or hide) the minimized windows like the actor, trigger script, etc. so I can easily access what those things are covering.
    When you say tab, do you mean add them to the taskbar? Sounds like a good idea, and doing so is quite easy.

II. Get rid of the Obsolete stuff (find those "obsolete" things & find out if they actually are obsolete - the texture properties. I haven't totally explored which functions work & which do not).
    Aye. Before I can do it I need to know what to remove, obviously.

III. More properties for the textures. If we can override the materials by right-clicking a texture then we really wouldn't need the *.mlb files.
    Not quite sure exactly what you want here...

IV. More comments in the actor browser or a reference to the wiki when it grows. T3Ed could have a database that can updatted from the wiki.
    I like this idea a lot! Being able to set our own comments for each property (and links to more detailed explanations) would be excellent. No more hunting around for documentation.

In fact, the script editor could use this kind of thing too; descriptions and help added to each condition and action. There's already a rudimentary scripting reference on the wiki; making T3Ed pull info from it would encourage people to update it.

V. Right click functionality on the toolbars.
    Would be useful. Not trivial to do (i.e. it's not a 2-minute fix), but certainly possible.

I'd also like to modify the sidebar. Ideally it would be possible to drag each button group off, and make it (A) a separate window, or (B) on the right-hand side. There are just too many buttons to show at once otherwise.

Well, it looks like there's interest, so I'll start on this right away. Please do keep adding requests.

Unfortunately, what I really want is either flagged obsolete or entirely missing, but I miss my Turn to Static Mesh button!

Proper (object) selection without having to rebuild first. StaticMeshes that actually rightclick first attempt (I often have to deselect, reselect, re-rightclick to get the list up), and which always delete when I press the Delete key, rather than just when they feel like it (and no, rebuilding doesn't always help that one, for me at least)

Making the Remove Existing Particles button on the tools menu (I think) actually remove all of the particles from the level, Flesh and Unreal renderer, and without having to manually select the particle emitters first. Note I don't mean kill the emitters, but if you've had the realtime preview on to test them the collision areas for most of them get really annoying, even if you can't currently see the particles you end up clicking on them. Grrr.

Menu Buttons on the top (like the texture browser et al) for the Conversation and Schema (and maybe Skeleton) Browsers.

A one click maximise viewport button (I know UT2k4 has one, but here I'd actually use it since I make maps for printing/doodling all over from the top viewport)

And while someone mentioned the buttons on the left - the submenus can be rolled up anyway, and it's not like you need (well, to be more accurate, it's not like I use) most of them.

It is unlikely to be possible to change inner workings or add functionality to the editor just using a Resource Editor. Altering menus, buttons, viewport sizes etc is usually possible, but changing behaviour would require access to the source code.

Doesn't stop us from wishing for things...

Quote Originally Posted by OrbWeaver
    It is unlikely to be possible to change inner workings or add functionality to the editor just using a Resource Editor. Altering menus, buttons, viewport sizes etc is usually possible, but changing behaviour would require access to the source code.
    Well, some functionality can be added. Granted, changing non-interface functionality and in-viewport interface functionality is harder, and some of what Ziemanskye wished for isn't possible just using API hooks, but if we don't aim for impossible things then they become impossible by default. I'd rather people wished for impossible things rather than not wishing for something just because they thought it was impossible. Er, if you can follow my late-night ramblings.

By the way, I'm not using a third-party resource editor; I'm writing this in C++. So tacking on extra functionality is in theory possible (I just give the program a new menu item or toolbar button, hook into it, and intercept the menu/button event), and launching external applications is easily accomplished. (Anyone have a utility they want launchable from T3Ed?) Modifying values in memory is also possible, should someone want to do that. (Note "possible", not "easy". )

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemanskye
    A one click maximise viewport button (I know UT2k4 has one, but here I'd actually use it since I make maps for printing/doodling all over from the top viewport)
    This is already available. just set your viewports to floating.

I would be happy to use anything that can be incorporated into the editor in my automated installer release. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    Anyone have a utility they want launchable from T3Ed?
    Book Browser & edit w/T3TED or Notepad.

EDIT: User definable paths. Being able to choose & use where your custom trigger scripts, objectives, textures, etc. are.
    Last edited by ascottk; 25th Jun 2005 at 12:58.

Jadon - already found that, it's how I'm doing the maps currently. I'm just being lazy and asking for a single button which sets them non-floating, maximizes, and back again without having to faff with the menu. I don't like the floating viewport windows, so it's got to set it back to fixed after.
    I'm being fussy, I know.

And I'd like a deselect all (object type) button, since I tend to Group off my smeshes but leave most of the bsp in place. So I could just marquee select the whole room, then hit that to take the brushes off the selection but leave me with the smeshes to group and hide.

Quote Originally Posted by ascottk
    More properties for the textures. If we can override the materials by right-clicking a texture then we really wouldn't need the
    *.mlb files.
    Actors & static meshes have a property to override their materials (to tell T3 what sound to make when you're walking on grass or stone) so why not textures? There should another way to tell T3 how to use our custom textures.

Quote Originally Posted by New Horizon
    I would be happy to use anything that can be incorporated into the editor in my automated installer release. Keep us posted.
    Thanks for the offer, and I definitely will!

I haven't made much progress on this yet because I've been wresting with DLLs and Windows API hook functions, but I've managed to hook successfully now, so once I've had lunch and cleaned up the code a bit I should be able to start on some of the simpler requests. Keep those wishes coming!

ascottk - Ah, I think I see what you mean; applying certain properties to textures and having them automatically propagate to what they're applied to? I haven't played with materials much at all so I don't really know how they work, but automating property changes is probably possible (via fake "clicking" on GUI elements), though not simple.

Can we get the tool bars down the side as floating, dockable toolbars?
    If you're not running at a super high resolution you have to minimise some to see the ones down the bottom at the moment. It would be good if we could dock some of them at the top or on the other side.

Also can we do some thing about the Trigger script window. You know, the save button. I keep forgetting not to click it!! Can the label be changed to "SAVE ALL" or even "DON'T PUSH THIS BUTTON"

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    I'd rather people wished for impossible things rather than not wishing for something just because they thought it was impossible. Er, if you can follow my late-night ramblings.
    Just a thought...
    You know when you create a new class in the Actor browser, a little dialog pops up saying that you are creating MyActor(or whatever) in package T3Gamesys.t3u. The class name is in a normal edit box so you can change it from the default. But the package is a readonly edit box. Can we change that to an editable box? In the original UnrealEd you could save a new class to any package you wanted, even create a new one. If that functionality is buried there somewhere, maybe we can save our mods to a new package. If we could then work out how to tell the game to load the add-on as well T3Gamesys, then shipping mods would only involve a small MyMod.t3u file, instead of a duplicate gamesys.

Just wishful thinking, I know, but one can dream....

Speaking of the triggerscript window, could you make it so that closing it with the red box at the top acts like 'cancel' rather than 'save all'?

Floating, dockable toolbars - Possibly; I mentioned I'd like to do that earlier. I think I'll take a stab at this next.

Renaming packages - Well, I can probably enable the text box, but I have no idea whether it will be useful or not.

Gestalt - Yeah, that annoys me too. Possibly tricky to implement without causing Really Odd Things to happen, but I'll see what I can do.

In related news - My application now hooks correctly, and I've implemented two of the requests:

- Changing the captions on the triggerscript manager's OK/Cancel buttons to "Save all" and "Close" respectively.
    - The texture editor is automatically closed at startup. (Personal dislike of mine, so I'm quite pleased at how easy this was. )

I need to work out how I'm going to launch this puppy. (Did anyone else just get a mental image of small dogs being strapped to catapults?) I have a batch file that starts T3Ed because I'm using the single folder method, but normally you just have a shortcut pointing to "T3.exe editor", right? So the simplest method would be to make my application launch the editor; that way you just point the shortcut at, say, "T3EdPlus.exe editor" instead.

Are there extra command-line parameters that can be passed to the editor that I need to be aware of?

Hmmm, any way of adding additional functionality to the Trigger Script browser? Such as the ability to find any burried actions/ conditions or create new ones? Likely a dead end but a nice dream all the same.

Hmmm, any way of adding additional functionality to the Trigger Script browser? Such as the ability to find any burried actions/ conditions or create new ones? Likely a dead end but a nice dream all the same.
    Seconded...

I doubt it. They wouldn't have had any reason to leave out existing actions and conditions, and implementing new ones requires editing the game EXE as well.

I've decided to add a scripting language to the program so that new features can be added more easily (and so people can do so themselves). At the moment I'm leaning towards Lua.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast