TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Useful changes to your Gamesys

Um, I mentioned adding 'Sim' to containers already...

As for barrels, if you use my new Enhancement Pack barrel models, you won't be plagued by that bug. Just remember to refloor any barrels placed when the models were not installed.

It is possible to set up 'head shots', but it tends to go awry when the AI isn't standing up straight...

Many spotlights cover too narrow a volume.
    (HangingSpot for example)

Change the Y value of the Renderer > Spotlight property from 30 to 60 or 70.

The 'Drapes' objects should have the property AI > Utility > Blocks AI Vision: TRUE, because it's unfair that an AI can see you through the object when you cannot see the AI.
    Many other objects could do with this property. Note that an AI will only be able to see through actual gaps in the model, not through parts that are just a transparent texture.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul
    Many spotlights cover too narrow a volume.
    (HangingSpot for example)

Change the Y value of the Renderer > Spotlight property from 30 to 60 or 70.
    Ah, I always thought that the lights of the spotlights were too "narrow". I even tried to enlarge them, but I didn't know how to do.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Many other objects could do with this property. Note that an AI will only be able to see through actual gaps in the model, not through parts that are just a transparent texture.
    Are you sure about that? My impression was that line-of-sight for objects that block AI vision is calculated based on bounding-box size, not on the actual contours of the model.

I am sure. If you create a BarredDoor, remove the 'blocks vision' flag from the door property, and make it block AI Vision, the AIs will still be able to see you through the grille. (I wrote as much in a mini-tutorial on my website...)

When guards see a torch (or anything with a flame) that has been extinguished, they are supposed to make a comment like "Didn't that just get replaced this morning". A problem occurs when the object is in complete shadow. Once extinguished, there is no light, so the AI can't see that there's a doused torch there.

This can be fixed by adding the Renderer > Light property to the Extinguishable archetype. Set the radius to 1 and the brightness to 0.1

This won't affect extinuishables already created in the world, so if you've created quite a few, type in the command box: hilight_obj_type Extinguishable and hilight_add_prop Light then relight the misison.
    (hilight_clear will un-highlight the objects)

The Light property will inherit the necessary values from the property that you've just added to the archetype.

The light & radius is so low that it won't affect your light gem, but the AI will just be able to see it.

Should the title of this thread be "Useful changes TO your Gamesys" cos this you your business has been bugging me for days.

Hur, tell me about it.

R Soul, you can fix the title by editing the post you started the thread with.

Edited!
    I'm surprised I didn't notice that sooner

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Thanks! I was wondering if that "you your business" was some UK slang I wasn't aware of.

OfficeChair and CoveredChairs need to have the Renderer > Transparency (alpha) property set to 1.

If you don't like the way gauge objects are fully illuminated, edit the Gauge archetype and add the property Renderer > Self Illumination and leave in the default value (0.00) and select OK.

Also do this to Transformer02, Transformer01, coil02 and coil03 (or a parent archetype, such as Electrics)
    Last edited by R Soul; 13th Aug 2005 at 17:48.

\o/

I was going to implement the two arrow fixes in my contest mission, but I forgot

I should also make a comment about a previous suggestion of mine:
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    ...This can be fixed by adding the Renderer > Light property to the Extinguishable archetype. Set the radius to 1 and the brightness to 0.1...
    This is a good way of exceeding the ~740 lights limit. If an extinguishable also has the static light property, it counts as two lights.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I should also make a comment about a previous suggestion of mine:
    This is a good way of exceeding the ~740 lights limit. If an extinguishable also has the static light property, it counts as two lights.
    Aha, this is good to know. I've added your comment to my gamesys document. If I'll ever exceed the limit, I'll know what to remove first.

Some of the archetypes in dark.gam have properties that are not ideal, or they're missing properties that would improve them.
    Someone should make a thread about it

Remove the Renderer > Transparecny (alpha) property from Physical > Decorative > Banner. It isn't needed and it only messes up objects with no transparency in their textures (look at DrapesRed for example)
    Instead, if applicable, add this property to Physical > Debris > ExBanner (and set it to 1).

This property also exists on Physical > TerrainLike > Fence, but only some childeren of this archetype should actually have it.
    Remove the property, then Add it to the following: Railing, VineRail, and everything under catwalk except for the two 'support' archetypes (i.e all the ...rails and ...pieces).

Post your own suggestions!
    I decided to try and work through these suggestions, but stumbled on the very first one. For my gam, Physical > Decorative > Banner does not have Renderer > Transparecny (alpha).

I was able to make the changes to Physical > TerrainLike > Fence and its children.

That's strange. We're all supposed to have the same dark.gam, and mine definitely does have that property.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Add Renderer->LightColour (0.10, 0.75) to explosion coronas ('expcorona')
    Might as well delete the Emit properties, too. Heatdisks are software only.
    What Emit poperties? Where? I don't see that SFX>FireFX>ExplodFX>ExpCorona has any Emit props on it.

That's strange. We're all supposed to have the same dark.gam, and mine definitely does have that property.
    I dunno. I'm new to this. I just tells it likes I sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    What Emit poperties? Where? I don't see that SFX>FireFX>ExplodFX>ExpCorona has any Emit props on it.
    Emit properties on the firearr.

Talking about dark.gam:
    In my dark.gam the vine arrow doesn't attach to wood, which I don't see why it shouldn't, so I changed Physics->Terrain->Can Attach to include both rope and vine, for Materials->MatSemiSoft->MatWood.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    For my gam, Physical > Decorative > Banner does not have Renderer > Transparecny (alpha).
    My dark.gam doesn't have it either.

Zombies shouldn't need to breath (set Drown Damage to 0.00)
    Where is "Drown Damage" specified? It isn't at Game>Damage Model as I would have expected ...

All AIs should have 'Head' as their Vision Joint.
    Except for spiders. To change their vision from their buttocks (Do spiders even have buttocks? Whatever. You know where I mean.) would do a disservice to Leitha (sp?).

Emit properties on the firearr.
    Ah. And what is wrong with them on the firearr?

As for barrels, if you use my new Enhancement Pack barrel models, you won't be plagued by that bug. Just remember to refloor any barrels placed when the models were not installed.
    Where are these to be downloaded from?

Enhancement Pack

Drown Damage:
    Dark_GameSys->Breath_Config

weird, my dark.gam(27mar2000) has both:
    Physical > Decorative > Banner: Renderer > Transparecny (alpha)
    vine arrow: Physics->Terrain->Can Attach: Rope,Vine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast