TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Useful changes to your Gamesys

No need to tripple-post...

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Except for spiders. To change their vision from their buttocks (Do spiders even have buttocks? Whatever. You know where I mean.) would do a disservice to Leitha (sp?).
    Especially for spiders, since otherwise they look in a random direction depending on where they are in their idle motion, usually backwards.
    And you probably mean Lytha.

Ah. And what is wrong with them on the firearr?
    They are emitting heat discs. Heat discs only work in Software rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Especially for spiders, since otherwise they look in a random direction depending on where they are in their idle motion, usually backwards.
    And you probably mean Lytha.
    I do mean Lytha. Thanks. Re. spiders, I just think that their unique vision is very much part of the gameplay and something that players have come to expect. To mess with that is like making water arrows do harm: it spoils part of the careful balance between real and unreal in the game. I like the fact that spiders see with their butts. I can imagine them having little motion sensing hairs back there. IMHO.
    They are emitting heat discs. Heat discs only work in Software rendering.
    And this is bad because ... ?

Still, that bug makes ghosting stationary spiders almost very difficult.

I just said that you might as well delete them since no one can see them anyway.

Still, that bug makes ghosting stationary spiders almost very difficult.
    Ghosting should be difficult. IMHO.

I just said that you might as well delete them since no one can see them anyway.
    Ah. That's the information I was missing: software rendering is invisible in game play. I did not know that. I just thought it took cpu cycles instead of gpu/vpu cycles.

Ghosting should be difficult. IMHO.
    Not based on random factors such as not being able to tell which way a spider is facing.

Ah. That's the information I was missing: software rendering is invisible in game play. I did not know that. I just thought it took cpu cycles instead of gpu/vpu cycles.
    Software rendering as in using no hardware at all. Thief 2 doesn't even support software rendering.

Well, when I delete Tweq>Emit from firearr, my fire arrow stops working. I can load, pull back, and release, but nothing gets fired! I think I'll leave Emit alone, even if it uses software renedering.

An ApeBlowpipe (-2468) has two AIProjectile links. One of them has Launch Joint set to "N/A", which should be "Right Fingers" instead.

All AIs should have 'Head' as their Vision Joint.
    Except robots. Setting their Vision Joint to "Head" makes combat bots behave strangely and sometimes not see you when you're in front of them. (Perhaps their model does not designate their actual head with the glass eye as "head"?)

In Thief 1's gamesys, Trickster has projectiles "ForgShot," "FireShowerShot," and "ElementalSummon." Targeting Method for each of them should be set to "Straight-Line." This will enable him to shoot these three cool projectiles (that are now misfiring) at the player.

T2's gamesys: Cops (-5967) and SheriffsBowman (-1332) categories should have Max Hit Points and Hit Points set to "16". This is according to T1, where every non-generic/non-Bafford guard has 16 hit points (except Con Guard, which has 12, and ConBowman -- 15).

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan_The_Thief View Post
    T2's gamesys: Cops (-5967) and SheriffsBowman (-1332) categories should have Max Hit Points and Hit Points set to "16". This is according to T1, where every non-generic/non-Bafford guard has 16 hit points (except Con Guard, which has 12, and ConBowman -- 15).
    I'm not sure I agree with that one. I think it more likely that it was an intentional change on the part of LGS than unintentional.

Does anyone know what's up with Door8 (slidy door)? The handle is broken. I tried to fix it, but couldn't. I ended up using a spiny door parent with the Door8 object, replaced the Schema>Class Tags and the Door>Rotating with Door>Translating to get one that worked correctly. I don't know why I was unable for fix the Door8 archetype, but I couldn't make it work right.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with that one. I think it more likely that it was an intentional change on the part of LGS than unintentional.
    I thought so too at first. But then, seeing quite a few of things in the gamesys that were overlooked, I think that was an oversight after all.

In T1, the hit points on different guards were increased as the game progressed, so there sort of was a gradual increase in the level of difficulty. I think the cop guards should be on par with, say, Ramirez guards, especially with how tough breaking into the police station was said to be in the briefing. I remember playing the Framed level for the first time with my friend, and we both noticed how easy it was to send the cop AIs fleeing; that just felt out of place after all the tension buildup from the briefing video.

I ended up using a spiny door parent with the Door8 object, replaced the Schema>Class Tags and the Door>Rotating with Door>Translating to get one that worked correctly.
    Removing one of the door properties from a concrete object that previously had it can cause Bad Thing (tm) to happen. I forget exactly what, but as I recall it can only be fixed by deleting the object. Don't do it.

Removing one of the door properties from a concrete object that previously had it can cause Bad Thing (tm) to happen. I forget exactly what, but as I recall it can only be fixed by deleting the object. Don't do it.
    Um, too late now, I've had to do it for two separate slidy doors ... No bad thing seems to have happened that I can see. Do you have any more specifics? Maybe the bad thing only happens if you didn't replace the Door property with another Door property? I changed spiny to slidy to get the handle and lock fixed ... All I can do now is wait in dreadful expectation that DromEd will, at some unspecified future point in time, eat my mission and one or more of my children ... Time to break out my copy of "Goat Sacrifices For Dummies' and refresh my memory of the proper ritual to appease DromEd. Whimper.

It made DromEd crash, IIRC. While doing one of the processings, pathfinding perhaps? Took me forever to track it down. This was back when I made The Haunting in 2004 or so, so I can't remember the details.

It made DromEd crash, IIRC. While doing one of the processings, pathfinding perhaps? Took me forever to track it down. This was back when I made The Haunting in 2004 or so, so I can't remember the details.
    I went through this only two weeks ago. Made an object a door, then changed my mind and removed the door properties. It crashed when I approached the object in game, and it crashed when I entered the room brush the object it was in.
    Also as you mentioned pathfinding crashed too (or was it optimization?). I had t o delete the object eventually, DromEd would have it no other way.

Then I may be OK as I have successfully run complete processing several times since and have fully tested both doors and been in and out of both areas with no problems. Maybe it is the removal of the properties without replacing them? I did replace what I removed with equivalent for the other type of door. What I still don't know is what it would take to fix Door8 properly in the hierarchy. I tried the obvious (added the necessary properties) and that did not work. That's why I resorted to starting with a working door from another branch of the hierarchy. I think slidy doors are generally hosed, but don't know what to do to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_The_Thief View Post
    In Thief 1's gamesys, Trickster has projectiles "ForgShot," "FireShowerShot," and "ElementalSummon." Targeting Method for each of them should be set to "Straight-Line." This will enable him to shoot these three cool projectiles (that are now misfiring) at the player.
    I've just realized that to have these changes have effect in the final OM of T1, you'll have to open the mission file and manually edit these settings in on the actual Trickster, since he already inherits the faulty projectile link properties, and changing the gamesys won't fix this.

(Additional properties to these projectiles, to make them more meaningful IMO, would be Physics->Projectile->Initial Velocity: "100" for "FireShowerShot," and "40" for "ElementalSummon".)

For T2 dark.gam --
    Find RobotCorpses (-6142), open to this item, go to Act/React -> Receptrons, click Add, select "PokeStim" under Stimulus, leave "0" under Min Intensity, for Max Intensity check "No Max," then select "Abort" under Effect. This will ensure that they remain properly immune to broadheads. Otherwise you can destroy robot corpses with regular arrows because of what's listed for them under the WeaponStim link there. Try it.

(Repeat the same mod for "SlashStim.")
    Last edited by Stan_The_Thief; 16th Oct 2010 at 03:07.

Big bump!

I've created a DML file to implement most of the changes suggested in this thread. The things that have the most effect on gameplay are listed at the start to make it easier to look through them and decide if you want them or not.

It's mostly self-explanatory but some things worth bringing to prominence:
    The first set of changes make it possible to throw the kitchen jar objects like in T1, but it may create too much frob clutter for the player, and that may be why LGS removed that ability for T2.

The next thing is the NoticesPlayerBumps being added to all AI. I think this adds a nice further challenge and tension to gameplay, but if you're a bit of a softie you can remove it.

I think the alarm sounds need to be stronger for longer, but you may want to try different values if it seems a bit overbearing.

I prefer barrels to be immovable and cuboid, but that won't be to everyone's taste, so this DML file creates two immovable child archetypes for the large and small varieties, while leaving the originals intact. These new ones cannot be broken up by damage.

BashStims have been added to elemental arrows so they cause an AI reaction but no damage.

Here is the DML text if anyone wants to make suggestions or test it (just save it as a file with a 'DML' extension and run it from Dromed (File > Load DbMod):

Code:
    DML1

//Changes taken from here: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98522

////The first section is for things that each author will most likely
    ////want to review for gameplay reasons
    //Throw jars like in Thief 1
    +ObjProp "Jar" "FrobInfo"
    {
    	"World Action" "Move"
    	"Inv Action" "Move"
    }

+ObjProp "Jar" "physcontrol"
    {
    	"Controls Active" ""
    }

+ObjProp "Jar" "phystype"
    {
    	"Type" "Sphere"
    }

//AI
    ObjProp "Creature" "scripts"
    {
    	"Script 2" "NoticesPlayerBumps"
    }

//Alarm sounds maintain full volume over a greater distance
    +ObjProp "DEVICE_ALARM" "schattfac" = 3

//Immovable Barrel physics - easier to mantle, pysics don't get lost if too close to wall, barrels cannot be pushed
    CreateArch "Barrel 0" "Barrel0_Solid"

+ObjProp "Barrel0_Solid" "physcontrol"
    {
    	"Controls Active" "Location, Rotation"
    }

ObjProp "Barrel0_Solid" "phystype"
    {
    	"Type" "OBB"
    }

//Cast a shadow. Runtime Object Shadow prop needed to affect the lightgem...
    //but not used here - author should set it when appropriate
    +ObjProp "Barrel0_Solid" "immobile" = TRUE

+ObjProp "Barrel0_Solid" "slayresult"
    {
    	"Effect" "No Effect"
    }

+ObjProp "Barrel0_Solid" "class tags"
    {
    	"1: Tags" ""
    }

+ObjProp "Barrel0_Solid" "ai_objavoid"
    {
    	"Flags" "Block pathfind"
    }

+ObjProp "Barrel0_Solid" "ai_objpathable" = TRUE

//Small solid barrel
    CreateArch "Barrel0_Solid" "SmalBarrel0_Solid"

+ObjProp "SmalBarrel0_Solid" "modelname" = "barrela"

//Elemental arrows cause AI reaction but no damage, did not work consistently in testing
    +StimSource "water" "BashStim"
    {
    	"Intensity" 0
    	"Propagator" "Contact"
    	{
    		"Shape"
    		{
    			"Contact Types" "Collision"
    			"Velocity Coeff" 0.01 //copied this from noise arrow stim
    		}
    	}
    }

+StimSource "EarthArrow" "BashStim"
    {
    	"Intensity" 0
    	"Propagator" "Contact"
    	{
    		"Shape"
    		{
    		}
    	}
    }

+StimSource "GasArrow" "BashStim"
    {
    	"Intensity" 0
    	"Propagator" "Contact"
    	{
    		"Shape"
    		{
    		}
    	}
    }

+StimSource "VineArrow" "BashStim"
    {
    	"Intensity" 0
    	"Propagator" "Contact"
    	{
    		"Shape"
    		{
    		}
    	}
    }

//Vine Arrow should not inherit PokeStim. Move this from RopeyArrow to just the RopeArrow
    -StimSource "RopeyArrow" "PokeStim"

+StimSource "RopeArrow" "PokeStim"
    {
    	"Intensity" 1
    	"Propagator" "Contact"
    	{
    		"Shape"
    		{
    			"Velocity Coeff" 0.08 //same value that was on RopeyArrow
    		}
    	}
    }

//Vine arrows should attach to wood - credit to qolelis
    ObjProp "MatWood" "canattach"
    {
    	"Flags" "Rope, Vine"
    }

//Same for these two:
    ObjProp "MatCarpet" "canattach"
    {
    	"Flags" "Rope, Vine"
    }

ObjProp "MatVegetation" "canattach"
    {
    	"Flags" "Rope, Vine"
    }

//Widen the cone for spotlights (existing spotlights affected upon relighting the mission)
    ObjProp "HangingSpot" "spotlight" = 15, 60, 0

ObjProp "HangSpotFlush" "spotlight" = 15, 60, 0

//Fire arrow colour explosion, thanks to NV
    +ObjProp "expcorona" "lightcolor"
    {
    	"hue" 0.1
    	"saturation" 0.75
    }
    //Also apply this to fire arrow itself
    +ObjProp "firearr" "lightcolor"
    {
    	"hue" 0.1
    	"saturation" 0.75
    }

//Make them both brighter, also compensates for effect of colour change
    ObjProp "expcorona" "selflit" = 220
    ObjProp "firearr" "selflit" = 120

//Stop robot corpese being broken up by broadheads - credit to Stan_The_Thief
    +Receptron "RobotCorpses" "PokeStim"
    {
    	"Max" None
    	"Effect" "Abort"
    }

////This sections is for bug fixing
    //Skull throw correction - Eshaktaar
    ObjProp "Skull" "FrobInfo"
    {
    	"Tool Action" ""
    }

//Helps when object texutres include transparency, may depend on image format
    -ObjProp "Banner" "renderalpha"
    +ObjProp "ExBanner" "renderalpha" = 1

-ObjProp "Fence" "renderalpha"
    +ObjProp "Railing" "renderalpha" = 1
    +ObjProp "VineRail" "renderalpha" = 1

+ObjProp "catwrail12x3" "renderalpha" = 1
    +ObjProp "Catwpiece1" "renderalpha" = 1
    +ObjProp "Catwpiece2" "renderalpha" = 1
    +ObjProp "Catwpiece3" "renderalpha" = 1
    +ObjProp "catwrail4x3" "renderalpha" = 1
    +ObjProp "OfficeChair" "renderalpha" = 1
    +ObjProp "CoveredChairs" "renderalpha" = 1

//Red warehouse door
    +ObjProp "RedDoor" "rotdoor"
    {
    	"Blocks Vision?" FALSE
    }
    -ObjProp "RedDoor" "renderalpha"

//Containers
    ObjProp "Safe" "cfgtweqjoints"
    {
    	"Joint1AnimC" "Sim"
    }

ObjProp "VicHopeChest" "cfgtweqjoints"
    {
    	"Joint1AnimC" "Sim"
    }

ObjProp "LC_Chest" "cfgtweqjoints"
    {
    	"Joint1AnimC" "Sim"
    }

//MoneyBox sounds were doubling due to unnecessary script property
    -ObjProp "MoneyBox" "scripts"

//Prevent undead from "drowning" (all values are 0 when added, no need for config)
    +ObjProp "Undead" "breathconfig"
    {
    }

//AI have 'head' as vision joint - thanks to NV
    //But not robots - thanks to Stan_The_Thief
    +ObjProp "Undead" "ai_visjoint"
    {
    	"joint" "Head"
    }
    +ObjProp "Beast" "ai_visjoint"
    {
    	"joint" "Head"
    }
    +ObjProp "Animal" "ai_visjoint"
    {
    	"joint" "Head"
    }

//Chair materials
    +MetaProp "RamSofaChair" "MatCarpet"
    +MetaProp "CoveredChairs" "MatCarpet"
    +MetaProp "MechCouch" "MatCarpet"
    +MetaProp "VictorianChairs" "MatCarpet"
    +MetaProp "VicSmallDeskChair" "MatWood" //exception to the rule
    +MetaProp "RamSofa" "MatCarpet"

//Beds, most already carpet
    +MetaProp "bedpostphys" "MatWood"

//LC bed is stone, looks like a pedestal for displaying bodies lying in state
    +MetaProp "LC_Bed" "MatStone"
    -MetaProp "LC_Headrest" "MatCarpet"
    +MetaProp "LC_Headrest" "MatMetal"

//Kithen object materials
    +MetaProp "Pan" "MatMetal"
    +MetaProp "Knife" "MatMetal"
    +MetaProp "Butcher Knife" "MatMetal"
    +MetaProp "Jar" "MatCeramic"

//Objects blocking AI vision
    +ObjProp "Drapes" "ai_blkvis" = TRUE
    //All doors, with exceptions for doors with large windows
    +ObjProp "Door" "ai_blkvis" = TRUE
    +ObjProp "FrenchDoor" "ai_blkvis" = FALSE
    +ObjProp "CemetaryGate" "ai_blkvis" = FALSE
    +ObjProp "whd4x8-3" "ai_blkvis" = FALSE
    +ObjProp "Portcullis" "ai_blkvis" = FALSE
    +ObjProp "CloisterGate2" "ai_blkvis" = FALSE

//Gauges should not be fully lit
    +ObjProp "Gauge" "selfillum" = 0
    +ObjProp "Transformer02" "selfillum" = 0
    +ObjProp "Transformer01" "selfillum" = 0
    +ObjProp "coil02" "selfillum" = 0
    +ObjProp "coil03" "selfillum" = 0

//Moss Arrow Fix (credit to Winter Cat)
    ObjProp "Mosslauncher" "cfgtweqemit"
    {
    	"Rate" 400
    	"CurveC" "JitterLow"
    }

ObjProp "mosslump" "scale" 
    {
    	"" 1, 1, 1.5
    }

-ObjProp "mosslump" "cfgtweqemit"
    -ObjProp "mosslump" "sttweqemit"

ObjProp "mosspad" "sttweqemit"
    {
    	"AnimS" "On"
    	"Cur Time" 0
    }

ObjProp "mosspad" "cfgtweqemit"
    {
    	"Halt" "Remove Prop"
    	"Rate" 200
    	"Velocity" 0, 0, 9
    	"CurveC" "JitterHi"
    }

-ObjProp "moss0.5" "scale"

ObjProp "mossspore" "PhysInitVel" = 5, 0, 10

-ObjProp "lilmossspore" "PhysInitVel"

//Fix for fire arrow (3 sets of fletching feathers rather than 2)
    //Note Winter Cat origainally had a fix for fire particles, but these seem okay in NewDark
    ObjProp "firearr" "modelname" = "arrowfir"

//Vic light swtich fix - credit to Zontik
    ObjProp "VicLightSwitch" "jointpos"
    {
    	"Joint 1" -0.06
    	"Joint 2" -0.06
    }

ObjProp "VicLightSwitch" "cfgtweqjoints"
    {
    	"    rate-low-high" 0.02, -0.065, 0
    	"    rate-low-high2" 0.02, -0.065, 0
    }

//Default light radius of 60 for everything
    //Static light props
    ObjProp "lanterns" "light"
    {
    	"radius (0 for infinite)" 60
    }

ObjProp "WallSpotLight" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "MineLight" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "OldElecWallLight" "light"
    {
    	"radius (0 for infinite)" 60 //not sure if needed for brightness of 0 but does no harm
    }

ObjProp "OldHangElecLight" "light"
    {
    	"radius (0 for infinite)" 60 //not sure if needed for brightness of 0 but does no harm
    }

ObjProp "HangSpotFlush" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "HangingSpot" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "MechHangLamp" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "OldHangingShort" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "Streetlamp2" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "OldStreetlamp2" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "Streetlamp" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "SpotStreetlamp" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "OldSpotStreetlamp" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "TheatricalSpot" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "SmallTabLamp" "light"
    {
    	"radius (0 for infinite)" 30
    }

ObjProp "MechFloorLamp" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "MechSpotLight" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "litemush_durabl" "light"
    {
    	"radius (0 for infinite)" 40
    }

ObjProp "VicGlowGas" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "SpotLightPoint" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "SpotLightPoint" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "barberpole" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "CollectorTower" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "GlassChandelier" "light"
    {
    }

ObjProp "PaganLight" "light"
    {
    }

//Anim light props
    ObjProp "litemush_fragil" "animlight"
    {
    }

ObjProp "Flame" "animlight"
    {
    }

ObjProp "DynFlame" "animlight"
    {
    }

ObjProp "WindowShade" "animlight"
    {
    }

ObjProp "Extinguishable" "animlight"
    {
    }

ObjProp "MechTorch" "animlight"
    {
    }

ObjProp "LCLite" "animlight"
    {
    }

//Physics models
    +ObjProp "BigTable" "PhysDims"
    {
    	"Offset 1" 0, 0, 1.2
    	"Size" 12.2, 6, 0.57679
    }
    The code seems perfectly safe to run more than once - metaprops won't get added more than once, Dromed safely skips attempts to add archetypes that already exist, or remove properties that have already been removed etc.
    Last edited by R Soul; 29th May 2021 at 19:14. Reason: added vine attach to MatCarpet and MatVegetation.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Big bump!
    ~11 years is one of the biggest bumps I've ever seen, and on a thread that's ~16 years old.

Old enough that I was subscribed and got an email about it.

16 years or not, there are still enough new FMs where you jump over sofas causing wood noises and therefore an AI alert.

Projectiles - Adding light effects to various projectiles.

*HolyH2OArrow (-2659)
    Dynamic Light: 10

Projectile>Crittershots
    firebolt (-1339)
    Light Color: 0.10; 0.75

The same light color can be applied to
    Firejetshot (-4562)
    Fireshower (-3997)
    HammerSpell (-2607) *note, hammerspell is the gearspell in T2. Would probably be best to rename it to Gearspell and then add a hammerspell underneath it with hamshot as the model.

MagicMissile (-2637)
    Light Color: 0.80; 1.00

*Cannonball (-3219)
    Dynamic Light: 20

*GhostShot (2656)
    Shadow: 10

Give Wire8 (-6116) & WireSnake8 (-6120) proper collision
    Wires (-6115)
    Physics>Model
    Type: OBB; 0; FALSE; FALSE

Lights>MagicLights
    PaganLight (-1485)
    Physics>Misc
    AI Collides With: FALSE
    Collision Type: None

*=My personal preference.

Suggestions noted.

The same light color can be applied to
    Firejetshot (-4562)
    Fireshower (-3997)
    These two don't have light. The first one moves slowly but only exists for 1 second.
    The second one is a corpse of FireShowerShot
    In what context are these used?

HammerSpell (-2607) *note, hammerspell is the gearspell in T2. Would probably be best to rename it to Gearspell and then add a hammerspell underneath it with hamshot as the model.
    A good idea if the author is using Hammerites, but DML files can't rename archetypes so this would have to be a manual thing.

MagicMissile (-2637)
    Light Color: 0.80; 1.00
    10 seems a bit low, 50 looks better to me, but it could depend on the setting, e.g. how much space is around it.

*Cannonball (-3219)
    Dynamic Light: 20
    Agreed, looks better. Possible gameplay implications as this can now affect the lightgem. However if that happens, the player has a much more urgent problem.

Give Wire8 (-6116) & WireSnake8 (-6120) proper collision
    Wires (-6115)
    Physics>Model
    Type: OBB; 0; FALSE; FALSE
    Collision has explicitly been disabled on this, so my opinion is that that should remain, but again, it depends on context. Child archetypes are another option. If collision is enabled, they'll inherit the MatMetal metaprop. I think MatCarpet would be better.

Speaking of MatCarpet, that only accepts rope arrows. It needs to also allow vine arrows.
    Same goes for MatVegetation (makes no sense that vines can attach to metal grates but not bushes) - these two have been added to the previous DML post.

Lights>MagicLights
    PaganLight (-1485)
    Physics>Misc
    AI Collides With: FALSE
    Collision Type: None
    Agreed again, but I doubt anyone would use this object. It needs some particle effects.
    The Will O'Wisp also needs to lose it's collision.

*=My personal preference.
    Corsair's Personal Preference sounds like a Victorian Gin that doctors would prescribe for medicinal reasons, like to deal with excessive worrying.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast