TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Useful changes to your Gamesys

Useful changes to your Gamesys

Some of the archetypes in dark.gam have properties that are not ideal, or they're missing properties that would improve them.
    Someone should make a thread about it

Remove the Renderer > Transparecny (alpha) property from Physical > Decorative > Banner. It isn't needed and it only messes up objects with no transparency in their textures (look at DrapesRed for example)
    Instead, if applicable, add this property to Physical > Debris > ExBanner (and set it to 1).

This property also exists on Physical > TerrainLike > Fence, but only some childeren of this archetype should actually have it.
    Remove the property, then Add it to the following: Railing, VineRail, and everything under catwalk except for the two 'support' archetypes (i.e all the ...rails and ...pieces).

Post your own suggestions!
    Last edited by R Soul; 21st Jul 2005 at 12:40.

I think torches also light up as though they could be frobbed (at least they do in mine), maybe the frobinfo property should be changed.

Hur, that's because you're using the DEDX gamesys. The torches are frobbable so you can use the torch douser on them.

Another suggestion is to add the Schema > Attenuation Factor property to Sound > Schema > DEVICES > DEVICE_ALARM.
    Attenuation Factor affects how the sound gets quieter as you move away from the object. I think the alarms are too quiet. Increasing the value keeps the sound at full volume over a greater distance. 3 is a good value for this property.

I give all my frobable obects a max pick distance of 3.
    I think it's more realistic.

The original dark.gam is quite messy and many things could and should be changed. It would be great if someone put all those modifications and improvements into one .gam that could be used as a starting gamesys for dromeders. A gamesys that would have the light radius already set, with objects casting hideable shadows etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Stones
    Please don't. It's annoying.

Yah. That's good for some objects, but not for all objects.
    Think about it. It'll be like that Garrett's arms are very short.

Quote Originally Posted by GORT
    It'll be like that Garrett's arms are very short.
    Yeah, Thief & DROMED screw with reality. 10 feet seems more like 5 or 6.

Useful changes, make everyone actually notice when you lob projectiles at them (EVEN ARCHERS!!!! <-that took a lot of S&R fiddling...like, 10 hours worth...but what doesn't in DROMED? ).

Spike14

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i made water arrows and moss arrows do damage, stupid that they don't, added a custom stim to crates and a matching receptron to all ai so that they are hurt when i throw crates at them.

A max pick of 3 relates to roughly 3 or 4 feet. Makes sense to me.
    Just don't like the normal 7.
    Try it out.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    i made water arrows and moss arrows do damage, stupid that they don't
    No it isn't.

It is stupid that they don't notice it though.

why do you bother posting zylon? you never add anything to the discussion, just tell everyone that they are stupid for whatever opinion they have, just knock it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Stones
    I have to agree with Spitter there. "It's more realistic" is a trap I tend to fall into quite often, too. Think about why LGS made the frob distance that large. It's not because they found it realistic but because it is a service to the player. If the frob distance of everything is 3, you're just going to make the player overlook stuff because it doesn't hilight at the usual distance. I don't want to get so close to a bookshelf that Garrett's nose touches it just so I'm able to discover a secret book lever

Add 'Sim' to the JointsTweq of all containers!

Add Renderer->LightColour (0.10, 0.75) to fire arrows ('firearr' archetype)
    Add Renderer->LightColour (0.10, 0.75) to explosion coronas ('expcorona')
    Might as well delete the Emit properties, too. Heatdisks are software only.

Will O'Wisp (-5863) should have its Schema->Material Tags cleared.

10'ironFence should have a Physics->Attributes: Pore Size of 0.25

Also, a lot of archetypes should have Renderer->Runtime Object Shadow. I posted a list of these archetypes in the DromEd FAQ, so check them out there.

I have some more somewhere (including an 'enhanced' gamesys I made for a project with a huge amount of improvements... not sure if that project will ever see the light of day. )

As for moss & water arrows, I agree with ZB - they shouldn't damage AIs, but should alert them.

DEDX has the perfect solution for that. Projectiles radially emitting a stimulus to which AIs react by being alerted.
    10 hours of S&R fiddling more like make a second AlertProjectileStim or something like that for the broadheads, make the archers immune to it, and all other critters receptive to it.

There's really no reason for water/moss arrows to deal damage, since they instantly liquefy/mossify when they hit something. You don't hear a hard clang when you shoot a water arrow at a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55
    why do you bother posting zylon? you never add anything to the discussion, just tell everyone that they are stupid for whatever opinion they have, just knock it off.
    He's right, though. Maybe they should do a tiny bit of damage due to the impact alone, but other than that, not really.

i'm not talking about a broadhead amount of damage, it takes about 10 moss arrows to kill a guard in a debt repaid, thats a huge waste of resources, the point is to piss the guard off more than to kill them.

10 clumps of moss can kill a man? Hot damn...

All I can say here is wait for Dark Metal. Virtually all of these are already implemented. You may also consider...

Adding "NoticesPlayerBumps" script to AIs so they notice if you bump into them (makes pickpocketing more realistic).

Adding, I think, 'collides with terrain' to Garrett's weapons so they can interact noisily with textures.

Rob

...frob distance of everything is 3, you're just going to make the player overlook stuff because it doesn't hilight at the usual distance. I don't want to get so close to a bookshelf that Garrett's nose touches it just so I'm able to discover a secret book lever
    I do see yer point.
    My frobs seem normal though, I mean, no nose to the door before you can open it. Maybe it's just my instal..I'll double check everything and make adjustments.

*LG, although I praise them for this game, do have their shortcomings.

So what damage do water arrows do? Slow drowning? Death by dampness?
    I suppose you could start a nasty bit of rust on a machine if you wait 6 months?

Although, if you look at them, they're water *crystals*.
    I always thought of them as water encased on glass or something like that.
    They are solid enough to survive being launched from a bow. So I'd think it'd sting a bit, not the water, but the encasing it's in.

Same with moss arrows ... a bunched-up clump might not hurt much in most cases, but what if it hits you at 70-80 mph! It'd sting, too, I'd think.

Ah, but then why don't we hear any shattering noises when a water arrow hits a surface?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue
    I always thought of them as water encased on glass or something like that.
    That theory doesn't work well with the fact that they appear to manifest naturally in bodies of water. Just accept that the Thief universe has magical water that can crystallize at room temperature.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast