TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Gathering at the inn crash

Gathering at the inn crash

Alright now, original thief 2 and t2x both played marvelously. No problems there, but then I start a game in GATI.

Everything is pretty cool. The animation plays nice, sound is great... but when it get in the mission after I click on "start mission", the game.... crashes !

Anything I'm not doing okay ?

Thanks

Did you fully uninstall a previous fan mission before installing the new fan mission.

Get a saved game off another Pc, load it, and it will be fine. If any others corrupt then load a different one then reload the first.

Quote Originally Posted by belboz
    Did you fully uninstall a previous fan mission before installing the new fan mission.
    T2X is the only thing I played that involved thief 2 on this computer (I just formatted).

Get a saved game off another Pc, load it, and it will be fine. If any others corrupt then load a different one then reload the first.
    Cool ! If anyone can send me such saved game, please send it to silenthaunt@hotmail.com. :P

thanks !

I have the same problem, I've played several other FM's before, but all with DarkLoader, so there shouldn't be any problem.
    So is there a sllution or can someone send me a savegame of the very
    beginning (Medium difficulty). Thanks
    Chiron@NOSPAMsebideluxe.de

Amd Sempron 3000+
    1 GB RAM
    Windows 2000 Pro (Servicepacks & Hotfixes up-to-date)
    Nvidia GeForce Fx 5200

did you fully uninstal t2x as it can screw up fan missions.

1937-2022
    Read this post and this one - the answer may be there.

Thanks for your answers.

1. I played t2x ~ 6 weeks ago, but I uninstalled it and deleted what it left
    behind. Since then I've played and finished 3 other FM's.

2.@ffox
    Both solutions did not work.

So can anybody send me a savegame? Chiron@NOSPAMsebideluxe.de

It works now. I don't know if it was my old GPU (Geforce FX 5200 new one:
    Geforce 6600) or the driver (78.01, new one: 81.85).

For all who have the same problem I've uploaded a savegame made at the very
    beginning:
    www.sebideluxe.de/thief/game0000.zip

Even New Dark is of no help, still crashes. By what is it caused? Any update planned? Every other fm works ok.

BANNED
    Probably see about reinstalling the game altogether.

As nice as DarkLoader is with its features and interface, NewDark's built in FMsel is the best for practical use unless DarkLoader gets updated to use the method of loading FMs into the game that NewDark is capable of, that is just extracting the whole FM to another directory and temporarily loading it in from there without messing with any of the stuff in the base Thief\ ThiefG\ \Thief2 directories. It also has the benefit of giving the loaded resources from the FM priority over other custom resources except for user-specified "ubermodpaths" which have priority over all other resources.

I've found out the crash reason. Inconsistency between cosashooks.osm and cosscript.osm. Before starting put one osm-file (no matter which one) away from Thief 2 folder. Run the game and save at the start then exit. Return missing script to its place and load your savegame and play! One of the best mission after all!

Has this crash issue been solved yet?

I've seen streamers play this without issue. I'm playing this using Wine, so maybe either cosashooks.osm or cosscript.osm is incompatible with Wine.

Are cosashooks.osm and cosscript.osm old releases of the public scripts (darkhooks.dlx and script.osm)?

Interestingly, Mission X 1.14 works fine and it also includes identical cosashooks.osm and cosscript.osm files.
    Last edited by Daft Mugi; 4th Oct 2022 at 00:00.

Wine does not appear to be the problem here. I just played the beginning of "Gathering at the Inn" with Wine under Debian Linux 10.13 (x86), using FMSel as the FM loader. Everything worked so far; I have already entered the inn. No crash.

Quote Originally Posted by baeuchlein View Post
    Wine does not appear to be the problem here. I just played the beginning of "Gathering at the Inn" with Wine under Debian Linux 10.13 (x86), using FMSel as the FM loader. Everything worked so far; I have already entered the inn. No crash.
    Thank you for looking into this. It's good to know that it does at least work in a version of Wine.

I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 and Wine 6 with FMSel. I also had the same issue a couple of years ago when I tried on macOS and Wine 4.

The "Gathering at the Inn" version I have is:
    filename: CoSaS1-GatheringattheInn.zip
    sha256sum: 89d2f4d66c4a305d0911279a0061703fc12f576f45187a9e7d631411e3afb3da

If I remove cosashooks.osm, it does not crash. However, none of the scripting seems to work. For example, I start the mission, jump in the sewer, shoot a rope arrow up into the bathroom, climb up, grab the hanky, go across the hall, and use the hanky on the baby burrick. But the "plain hanky" does not change to the "smelly hanky". (Note: For clarity, I know that "osm" files make scripting work; I'm just trying to narrow down the problem and troubleshoot.) The Thief2.log shows "Failed to load script module "cosscript.osm" (init failed)"

Thief2.log loaded scripts:
    gen.osm 35839f1ff2d5cde0ab8275bd85fa1a1374687756768f85168b0bdb92418c2555
    convict.osm 155df80a30b33c9d775f1285af829a8af2e7294e59fbd506aba78050bf125a8b
    script.osm d703cfe13c5d6921a18f8c1fa995c21f38460fd652fb760119d338323690f0d9 (T2Fix 1.27e)

With cosashooks.osm present, I get the following error output on crash and the crash happens at the loading screen:
    Code:
    wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 00000000 at address 00000000 (thread 0024), starting debugger...
    Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x00000000).
    And, the Thief2.log file does not show any loaded scripts.

Contrast this with "Mission X" where the Thief2.log file shows "Loaded script module "cosscript.osm" [FileModDate=2003-Jan-23]". Both cosashooks.osm and cosscript.osm are present.
    Last edited by Daft Mugi; 5th Oct 2022 at 00:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotix View Post
    I've found out the crash reason. Inconsistency between cosashooks.osm and cosscript.osm. Before starting put one osm-file (no matter which one) away from Thief 2 folder. Run the game and save at the start then exit. Return missing script to its place and load your savegame and play! One of the best mission after all!
    Did you try this method?

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    Did you try this method?
    I tried that method. It still crashes on Ubuntu 22.04 and Wine 6.

Interestingly, I think that method worked somewhat when I tried on macOS and Wine 4. If I remember correctly, some of the scripting worked like changing the "plain hanky" to a "smelly hanky", but other scripting did not work.

Although I still didn't manage to crash the mission at its starting point, I had several bugs while playing on a Linux x86 installation with Wine, as well as other bugs on an x64 installation. I don't know yet what happens on Windows, or even on an ancient Windows 98 SE. But things do indeed look weird.
    -scratches head-

After more testing, it looks as if there is a script problem with NewDark. Not sure if that is also causing the crashes, but a lot of other trouble is provided by that. How bad it is depends on the operating system here on my computers.

With my two OldDark installations (on Win7 (x64) or ancient Win98SE), I can break the glass before the water crystals in various locations which are to be used in case of fire. I can then take both crystals and use the water arrows I gain from them. With NewDark (v1.27 made with T2Fix 1.27e), I can still break the glass, but the water crystals are unfrobbable. Whether I use NewDark with Windows 7 (x64) or Wine on Linux (Debian 11.5 (x64) as well as 10.13 (x86)), it's always the same. Fire protection gone - I wonder what the insurance company might think of that.

If I play the mission on Win7 or 64 bit Linux with NewDark, I usually can talk to the smith to exchange some friendly words, but I usually cannot speak to Skarz a second time when I want him to turn the Fire Mage's wand into a fake ice pick for Lady Verilli later on in the mission. He does not light up, and blindly "using" the wand with/on him does not have any effect. On x86 Linux, he does light up, but the game crashes when I use the wand with him. Similar things happen when I try to use the clean hanky with the not-so-clean burrick.

With NewDark and Win7 and both kinds of Linuxes, there are some other glitches that happen frequently. They are most likely to happen on 32 bit Linux, notably less likely on 64 bit Linux, and rather rare with Windows 7. These weird things almost never happened with OldDark, though. These glitches include: Guards suddenly becoming stationary instead of patrolling; the mission suddenly failing without any reason given in the objectives screen; the mission failing with the "Do not let the guests see you" goal marked as failed although none of the guests is nearby or in line of sight; Guards or cops (the two that have a conversation before one of them starts patrolling) seeing the player right before them but not reacting in any way.

The scripts in the cosscript.osm and cosashooks.osm files appear to be a variant of the old Gaylesaver scripts. Replacing them with appropriately named newest versions of Gaylesaver scripts, Public scripts (=Telliamed's rewritten Gaylesaver scripts, IIRC), or NVScript.osm does not work. I did not check whether tnhScript.osm would help. Inside at least one of the cos*.osm files, there are several texts like "Cosas Keyring", suggesting that the mission creators modified existing scripts for their mission(s), and that most likely is the reason why replacing these scripts does not work.

Thus, NewDark seems to be incompatible with these modified ancient scripts, and a solution to this problem does not appear to be at hand.
    Last edited by baeuchlein; 19th Oct 2022 at 19:40. Reason: Typo