TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greyfeather Gems - Part II: Rodamill (Aug. 21st, 2005)

trouble with mine entrance

I can't seem to find mine entrance, i find the gate but i'm missing something.

Help

This happens to me all the time as soon as i write a post i find the answer.

Erm...

I did it again didn't I

spoiler:
    Look around the area near mine gate and find a hole in a rubble wall

maloo, I'm still stuck there. I found a hole that a little ghost girl showed me behind a bush but that didn't take me to the mine. Is that the hole you meant by the "one in the rubble wall"? or am I still missing seeing something.

Hint:
    spoiler:
    The gate to the mines is prominent and fairly easy to find, especially if you have the east valley map; but the gate won't open because the power is off. There's a note in the control shed explaining the troubles they've been having with the power.

Outright giveaway:
    spoiler:
    The power supply for the mine-gate is in a valley behind that hole through the rock (the one that the ghost girl indicates). Turn on the power there, and you'll be able to get into the mines.

I had just come back to post that I'd figured out what I missed, which was something obvious, as usual. Thanks for the quick reply, Vigil.

Downloading the final now. Beta-testing it was a lot of fun (as well as making ambients for it) and I can't wait to play it and find all I have missed.

Well done Morrgan and Vigil!

YAY!!! What a wicked weekend gift.. Thanks Morrgan!!

If any people are wondering why the water in the starting valley looks odd: it was made using a TGA effect which unfortunately does not show up at all on GeForce 6 cards, making the water appear plain black instead. Radeon and earlier GeForce owners should see the proper water just fine. This is just a cosmetic thing and has no effect on gameplay.

Kudos to NamelessVoice for the technique of using overlapping TGA conveyors for effects like this, which was first showcased in HazelShade cemetary. Pity we hadn't tested our version of the effect on new cards first :P
    Last edited by Vigil; 23rd Aug 2005 at 04:37.

I must say that this is a great mission! I replayed Pt I before diving into this one, just so I'd remember how the story begun. I love the look of this mission. It reminds me of TDP in some ways.

There's a lot to explore, to be sure. I'm not ghosting this, as I'm too eager to see what lies ahead, but I'm pretty sure this is entirely ghostable, at least so far.

The architecture is fantastic, and there're loads of nooks and crannies to be discovered. I'm also amazed at how good the fog looks like on my ATI AIW 9800 Pro. In some missions it's rather annoying, and not as subtle and gradually dissolving as in this mission. Great job on applying the fog, don't know how you did it, but it looks good.

As great as this is, it feels a bit too easy even on expert. That's why I mentioned the ghosting earlier, which should make it more challenging, although there are always plenty of dark corners to hide in, and the guards' acuity isn't very high. But these are of course rather subjective assessments. Matters of opinion and preference, really.

This is definitely among the best FMs released this year! Very playable, highly enjoyable, beautiful to look at, lots of variety -- a definite must-play!

Finished it on Expert. 2000 loot, 5 secrets.

A truly fantastic mission. The Haunted Cathedral has always been one of my favourite OMs and there haven't really been any FMs to that style. Not any this good at any rate! Goddamnit, this was creepy. Fantastic combination of ambients, architecture and lighting created some real terror. I was startled more than a few times in this! The architecture was terrific, with surprising amount of details. Having struggled with Dromed limits myself recently, around mid-way in the mission I was sure the terrain brush limits must have been reached already!

Good sneaky action, too. Great patrols with usually several guards covering each others, so that taking them out requires some amount of planning. A little bit of tile and metal here and there made things definitely interesting and challenging, but they were wisely sparsely used, so it was far from frustrating.

The only thing that irked me in this FM were the over-sensitive sleepers. I thought I was really clever when I entered a locked room from rafters above... only to find out that the mechanist sleeping happily below woke up when I shot a rope arrow at the beam. The water and volumetric light effects were also rather ugly on my PC, but as Vigil pointed it out, it's the fault of my Geforce 6600 card.

The city itself is surprisingly big and it's easy to get lost in there - however, the automap is fantastic and was a great help. Readables were well written, too (oh Jamaille )

What more to add? Roombrushes leaked a bit here and there, but it was nothing horrible. One of the best FMs I've played this year and definitely worth the wait.

Now to wait TGG3...

Excellent job!

And quite a lot longer than what I expected. I pretty much spent my whole loadout and health before even finding the map.

Wow, thanks guys!

Now that I don't have this mission to spend my free time on, I decided to play through Thief Gold for the first time (I have played through TDP several times and played the new Gold missions separately, but never Gold from start to finish) and I still find that Thief 1 simply rocks. Having TGG 2 compared to Thief 1 truly warms my heart.

As for the fog, I guess I just got lucky. We have a GeForce, so I had no idea what it looks like on ATIs. Phew. Speaking of 3D cards, it's a pity the water and other effects don't work on the newer GeForces. As Vigil said, it was something we weren't able to test.

Thanks Morrgan for this great FM. I completed it and got most of the additional objectives (I think!) except for the one below.

spoiler:
    Stuck on the additional objective to get the Totem Pole. Where is it?

Thanks, Sir Lance! Did you find the secret bonus objectives?

The answer to your question depends on difficulty, although on all it can be found in the East valley. Which difficulty are you playing on?
    Last edited by Morrgan; 23rd Aug 2005 at 08:55.

Excellent !.
    I really enjoyed playing this and i will enjoy playing it again. I loved everything about it. I was so dissapointed when it finished, i just didn't want it to finish. Ah well just have to wait for part III.
    Thankyou.
    Thelostsoul.

Morrgan

I am playing on expert and I found the secret bonus objective. I really like FMs with additional objectives during play at adds interest as you never really know when you will finish the mission or get new objectives

Sir Lance:

Hint:
    spoiler:
    You can hear the totem "breathing" when you're near it. Also remember that the pagan was instructed to place it somewhere up high.

For an outright spoiler: On expert, the pagan totem can be found in the east part of the East valley. Close to the mines and the psychic's house there is this archway with three walls and a tower. Near this archway is a completely destroyed building with a wooden beam across it. Use a ropearrow to get up to this beam and then go over to the tower.

Glad you like. Oh, and there's two secret objectives (or four if you count the loot ones).

Lights out questions?

spoiler:
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've just started this mission and roped up broken stairs, found map on the body in engine room. Flipped power off and ghost appears. Lights out he disappears. Should the lights remain on or off. Is this part of the story line? Does it make a difference if I leave them on?

Magnificent mission! As the previous ones.
    I loved it!
    The atmosphere is fantastic and I was not able to leave my computer before having finished this adventure.

Thank you very much for this beautifull fm Morrgan

Quote Originally Posted by coreyb2
    spoiler:
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've just started this mission and roped up broken stairs, found map on the body in engine room. Flipped power off and ghost appears. Lights out he disappears. Should the lights remain on or off. Is this part of the story line? Does it make a difference if I leave them on?
    Just leave them off. Saves you from some harder parts
    spoiler:
    You can just avoid the ghost.

On the other hand, the generator also affects the lights in the buildings, and the streetlights in the next valley, making it a little harder to find your way around without flares. It's doesn't affect the plot either way, so it's up to you The ghost was a slightly simple and overzealous powerstation employee in his past life.

Ghost + Sword = No Ghost.

Moved on with lights on!

Thanks guys for responding but I was so anxious to get on with the
    mission that I just left them on and kept going. This is a great FM and
    creepy as hell. I did use the sword on another ghost further on.
    Coreyb
    Last edited by coreyb2; 23rd Aug 2005 at 23:34. Reason: editing

Just finished Roadmill
    I am truly amazed
    Morrgan! you're an angel

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast