TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: The Greyfeather Gems - Part II: Rodamill (Aug. 21st, 2005)

Clearinghouse
    Rodamill goes in my top 10 FM's
    Please, Morrgan, finish this story!

Brenda: if you didn't see the ghost then there may have been a bug that prevented it from appearing, or you may have just been looking the wrong way at the time the ghost appeared. Had you seen the ghost I think you would have noticed and explored the cave regardless of the search for the generator, and that's probably why none of the betatesters picked up on this. It might have been caught if we'd had more betatesters, but the ones we had did a great job - so don't blame them, they can't really be faulted for failing to miss something.

The problem is that if the player missed both the ghost and the readable hint, as you did, then there were no good indications on where to look for the generator, or to look for a cave in particular, or indeed which generator was meant - since there were 2 other generators in the mission, which some players traipsed all the way back to, frustrating them even more. IIRC the readable beside the gate switch says that the generator is in "the southeast valley", but that valley is marked on the map as being on the other side of an impassable gate (albeit one nearby to the cave) so that was simply misleading rather than helpful. (And that's assuming of course that the player even found the map in the first place... which on reflection they should really have been given from the start.)

Ultimately, as a roadblock puzzle the generator was unnecessary and probably should have been left out altogether. Hindsight!

Hmm so how is part 3 coming? I just beat 1 and 2, i imagine that mansion will be quite huge and have some cool exteriors into the underground areas as well. also the talk of this beast woman or thing? cant wait to see "it"

What a difference!

Wow, I just played this having the Thief Enhancement pack installed. Quite the difference in visuals. Looks beautiful.
    I hope Morrgan plans on still releasing Part 3 soon!
    A wonderful mission indeed. I really like the bonus objectives that come without you knowing it is one at first.

Just played this wonderful FM for the first time, very scary, original and beautiful. Brings the "Mechanists searching for something" kind of levels to a new level! I really hope we will see part 3. Thank you Morrgan!

oh man!

that's the saddest thing i seen yet!

the skeleton in the crib!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    okay, i frobbed a lever on a beam in the church, got the found a secret message, but - what the heck did it do? i can't see anything diff than before!
    Last edited by Garrett's Shadow; 18th Sep 2009 at 04:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett's Shadow View Post
    okay, i frobbed a lever on a beam in the church, got the found a secret message, but - what the heck did it do? i can't see anything diff than before!
    I think the Big Hammer moves sideways to reveal a little stash in the floor.

AHA!

not in the floor but in the altar itself! it's small and a bit dark in there so i missed it!

thank you man!!!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    arghhhhh! helppppp!

can...not...get...past...big...a**...tree beast!

not...enuff...shadow!
    keep..getting...killed!

oki - made it - had to use my flash bombs!
    Last edited by Garrett's Shadow; 18th Sep 2009 at 17:51.

*me upon reading of TGG part 3*:

*my reaction upon discovering that the last mention of part 3 being made was posted in 2006*:

Is Morrgan still around? I thought I read here somewhere that she wasn't---oh please, don't let it be true! I loved this mission and I want moarrrr!

This is one the very best FM's I've played, and I'm sorry to hear the third installment won't happen. But I can understand that eventually life must get in the way.

I think it's not dead yet. There are some statements on Morrgan's site (at a new location now) which still give hope. Click here to see her projects. Although the message is from about one year ago now, Greyfeather Gems 3 has not been abandoned, as it seems.

I haven't found it in the Upcoming and Abandoned fan missions thread either, but to be honest that thread seems to be a real mess. A lot of links to other threads and back to the same one, and the current (?) list apparently posted in 2007... I can't make head or tail of that.

Archivist
    I haven't found it in the Upcoming and Abandoned fan missions thread either, but to be honest that thread seems to be a real mess.
    And I'm trying so hard to let it not be a mess
    Where have you been looking? Greyfeather Gems 3 is mentioned under number 31.

A lot of links to other threads and back to the same one, and the current (?) list apparently posted in 2007... I can't make head or tail of that.
    You're the first from who I hear this. What makes you think it's from 2007? It is updated at least once a month.
    The many links can be confusing, but are useful if you know what to look for .

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    And I'm trying so hard to let it not be a mess
    Where have you been looking? Greyfeather Gems 3 is mentioned under number 31.
    Yes, but not in the abandoned missions list. That's where I looked. See below for a more in-depth explanation...

(about the thread)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    What makes you think it's from 2007? It is updated at least once a month.
    The many links can be confusing, but are useful if you know what to look for .
    I know it's updated more often than once in a few years. But let's start this from the beginning...

I started by looking at the last page of the "List of Upcoming and Abandoned Fanmissions" thread. There's one posting from September 13th, 2009, with the latest update on the list.

Clicking on "Read about this fm update in story form at The Circle" there leads to a page on the Circle web site, and another link there took me back to the posting where I came from. Only today I understood that the Circle page essentially contained the same update than the post where I found the link, and that it was meant to be like that.

Anyway, clicking on "Update of the Upcoming missions list" took me to the fist post in the "List of Upcoming and..." thread, as might be expected. The first link there leads back to the last update once again, while the second link takes me to The Circle, once again.

Then there are two links to the Upcoming Fanmissions list and the Abandoned Fanmissions list, respectively. I was looking for an entry in the Abandoned Fanmission list, so I clicked on the second of these links.

I appeared at a post on page 8 or 9 of 22 pages, dated December 24th, 2007 (hence the apparent date of 2007 - I knew the newest update was from 2009, but somehow I was redirected to somewhere in the middle of the whole thread... huh?!), looked for the name "Morrgan" and did not find it (meaning, none of Morrgan's missions seemed to be abandoned).

Apparently, this post had a summary of some sort at the beginning, then listed everything already mentioned in the summary in a more elaborated form. Since Morrgan wasn't mentioned in the summary, I did not look further, for I was sure now that Morrgan's "Greyfeather Gems 3" was not in the abandoned missions list. I did not care whether it was in the upcoming missions list.

That was essentially the same what I got from Morrgan's "new" internet site: The mission might have been put on hold indefinitely, but it was not (yet?) declared "abandoned".

There may not be a better way of organizing and displaying a mission list here, but nevertheless I found all these back-and-forth jumps with all these links very confusing: To The Circle and Back again, then a jump from the end of the thread to its beginning, another jump to the Circle, then a jump into the middle of the thread... sometimes I lost track of where I had been already, at least for a while. So it looked like a mess, then, although I see a bit clearer by now.

Well, that's why I found it confusing, but as I said already: I don't know whether there's a better way to do this. I certainly don't know any.

Just finished playing this mission... Wow! This has got to be one of the best missions I've ever played.
    Definitely a keeper.

Did anyone get the health fruits on the psychic's roof?
    Is there a way up there without resorting to boxes - preferably something silent.
    Are they truffles?

I think my praise for this mission is still missing. Let's do it now!

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Rodamill. I like those abandoned places where ghosts and wild animals provide for surprises, and where broken walls and broken machines stop you instead of city guards.

This town really felt heavily damaged and abandoned, and the fog effect added much to this feeling. Then there were several side quests (e.g., the dead person somewhere near the graveyard, or the deceased pagan who wanted to be laid to rest in the tavern) which were optional and yet fit into story and place very well. Nice!

I really hope that part three will see the light of day sometimes.

One small question: There's a partially emburied skeleton near the southeastern power house, with a shovel or pick-axe just out of reach. Is it somehow possible to help this victim? (Somehow, I got used to playing "good samaritan" for the deceased in Rodamill.)

any word yet as to part 3 going to happen?? hope so, the first 2 were awesome

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Archivist

Rodamill - outstanding!

The contrast between The Greyfeather Gems Part 1 (The Shipment) and Part 2 (Rodamill), in terms of the city element, can't be larger. Where the former displays nicely kept up houses, working streetlights and plenty of activity, the latter is a total reversal; collapsed buildings, power outage, rusty metal and the sad remains of a perished population. In Part 1 we followed Garrett through a mansion, city and seminary, which ended when he hid in a Mechanist crate that would take him towards his destination, the place where his contractor (Lord Greyfeather) asked him to retrieve some valuable family gems. At the start of Rodamill we've reached this destination, the abandoned city carrying the same subtitle.

Never have I seen such an amazingly atmospheric and hauting city FM . In my honest opinion not a single other FM I've played manages to capture the feel and detail of an ruined and abandoned city as Rodamill does. It's way better and more enjoyable then I remember from my previous playthrough, back in 2005. Thanks Morrgan for creating this gem. TERRIFIC!

Upon starting the mission, Garrett leaves his hideout, the large crate he entered at the end of part 1. Immediately striking (save for the drill bits from part 1 that are no longer in the crate at the start of part 2) is the feel and beauty of the city the author managed to create. Walls covered in moss, the layer of the water in the canal, lightning beams shining through the water, air bubbles, everything is visually attractive. The various and proper use of custom stone and wall textures, in combination with the fog, adds a lot to the beauty and mystery of the place . Beside this the incredible pieces of detail are impossible to ignore. Never have I witnessed an author doing such a tremendous job in bringing to life the abandoned and decayed feel of a city in his/her mission. We see luminous mushrooms in various colours, cobwebs on the walls, and the bones of residents who died in the earthquake. The player wanders through collapsed homes, explores submerged areas, comes across ghosts and burricks, and has to avoid the patrol routes of the Mechanists who occupied the ghost town. While the player is free to knock out every Mechanist, even on Expert difficulty, it's recommended to leave as many unharmed as possible. I found it quite a thrill to be constantly on my guard, make good use of the equipment I came across and move as stealthy as possible (ghosting seems to be very well possible).
    The different parts of the city are divided in valleys, each separated from the other in various ways; once a lowered gate is used as an obstacle, a next time a passage through the rocks or a higher level, adding to the non-linearity of the city. As opposed to part 1, no maps are at your disposal at the start but need to be located instead, which really contributes the element of surprise of what the city has to offer. The maps, by the way, are once again beautifully sketched, have an automap function (making it easy to see what you've explored so far) and makes the name of a building appear once you've entered it. Really amazing work, every FM should have these ! In Rodamill, the maps aren't an extra bonus though; they really come in handy to navigate your way through. Especially at the transition zones (not meaning the ones as in Rocksbourg 3) between the border between one map and the other, it can be hard at first to see where you're heading an what path to take.

On the story, the main objective line is pretty straightforward: Garrett has to find a way through the city and beyond the mines into Grefeather Hall. But along the way there a numerous writings of days past scattered around, that give an insight into the daily life of the residents and describing the strange occurrences that took place, before disaster struck. Vividly told, we can read about things like Electrics trying to fix power outages and a man who lost his daughter. Notice the difference between the writings written by the original inhabitants and the recent ones by the Mechanists (the former being weather-worn once in read mode and the latter displaying the standard papyrus template we all know). A nice touch.
    Not seldom the writings also contain valuable hints/leads about where a certain secret or a piece of loot can be found, like one scroll by a mechanist revealing the presence of diamond drill bits stored somewhere. Worth to investigate. And while reading through them, it becomes clear that the earthquake is not the only cause of the tragedy that befell the town of Rodamill. The residents cite strange events that took place before the catastrophe (like the disappearance of several persons) and talk about leaving the city. And Years later, during their excavations and patrols, the Mechanists write about visions and nightmares among the workers and buildings full of bones. All vividly written and a welcome enrichment. It's also the visible events that deliver some unnerving and frightening moments: the sound of running footsteps, the appearance of an apparition, and probably most memorable the event (deliberately spoiled here) when the player explores a house, hears the cries of an infant coming from the upper floor, only to find the bones of the child lying in a cradle . A classic scene that sticks in your mind !

Putting the pieces of writings together, it seems that the town's Physic is involved in the whole matter (with only one woman suspecting her but wasn't believed when she reported her findings to the city watch). Inside her shop a scroll is found, mentioning "the Creature and the Lady" struggling for control. While the create is probably the entity in the mine, the role of the Lady (the Physic?) remains unclear. Is that her giggle we hear once entering the Hall at the end? And how will the predictions of the Physic unfold once Garrett takes the gems supposedly guarded by the Creature Will this disrupt the balance and is Garrett supposed to dispose of the Lady in the final part? Plenty of loose threads with questions remain and we can only speculate about how the author envisoned the (undoubtedly epic) conclusion in the never released part 3.

In additional to the writings several bonus and optional objectives can be accomplished. I loved uncovering the two bonus quests and watching the jaw-dropping effects that took place, about the pagan who can no longer enter his house and the deceased wife who morns her lover. Dramatic and very gripping . I didn't got the Pagan's clue about him wanting to return to his bed though, and had to peek in this thread for a spoiler. Further exploration is encouraged by the varied and clever secrets implemented throughout the level, for which the player needs to search every nook and cranny to uncover those. It kept me exploring the city for hours in search for locations that might be accessible and managed to get them all in the end. I was also pleasantly surprised having found all the loot (2320 in total). Good thing there aren't many small valuable trinkets around that are easy to overlook. Very useful in that aspect is an objective complete message appearing once you've located half of the loot.

The Greyfeather Gems Part 2 is without a doubt the author's most stunning and extraordinary achievement, and one of my all-time favorites. Because of it's atmosphere, through the detailed creation of an abandoned town and lovely visuals, and a nice variety of secrets open for exploration, the inclusion of bonus and optional objectives, plenty of writings and some memorable events, it makes up for an unforgettable gameplay experience. A must play

The only things I missed are a quality briefing movie as an introduction and a sequel to see how this adventure ends . Maybe someday, we can hope.

Stats
    Difficulty: Expert (No Kills / 1 Ko)
    Time: 5 hours 43 minutes 48 seconds
    Loot: all 2320
    Secrets: all 9
    Bonus objectives completed: 2
    Optional objectives completed: 2

Great review man! This mission is one of those forgotten favorites of mine, where I find myself fondly remembering it in this vague "What was that one FM I really liked with the thing?" kinda way. Something about this mission's title causes me to constantly mind-wipe myself and forget it for months on end.

And hey man, we're always desperate for content over at the "General Fan Mission" megathread, why not re-post the reviews you've written there? You could increase our review database without having to do any real work- everyone wins!

Archivist
    Thanks The Mike.

You're right, I guess I'll post my review in the Review and Discussion Megathread, as I've inclined to do with those for other FMs. I noticed Thor already posted a review, with screens embedded, so I'll follow his example in that regard

First off, great mission Morrgan! I'm fairly new to FMs, as I have only played Ominous Bequest, la série de l'Arsene, and Rowena's Curse so far - All of which were AMAZING (better than OMs imho) I especially liked l'Arsene (because I enjoyed the french translation). Anyway, this is my first post ever on this great forum so HELLO everyone!

NOW, pertaining to Greyfeather Gems part II:Rodamill - I'll begin with the praise: First off, I loved the ambient soundtrack. Some new effects like underwater bubbles/ piercing light streaks to hint at a secret location, a bone falling from a spider web and a few other details I can't recall specifically were nice touches.

Hidden objectives: I immediately spotted the corpse under the boulder, snatched his candle and made the connection with the message on the gravestone. It took a little longer, but I eventually noticed the breathing from the totem mask, & roped my way up the adjacent house ruins to snatch it

But here's where I NEED HELP: THE MINES! Upon completing everything else, I found the note indicating the power needed to be restored before opening the gate, so I took the secondary power key, went to the power station, walked through the underground tunnel, found the east map, but now what - Somebody posted something about a girl indicating a hole in the wall?? I'm still lost & I can't find this hole. A specific answer as to how to get past this damn gate would mean I can carry on with my life - PLEASE!

P.S. I know this forum dates back almost 8 years, but I'm hoping someone who can help me is still around. Thanks!!

@TaffinOut: here is a post from Vigil earlier in the thread:

the generator you're looking for to open the mine gate is in the southeast valley - which is just south of the mine gate itself, very close by. You'll spot the ghost girl if you head directly south from the mine gate, and she'll point the way to get to the southeast valley from there.
    Last edited by jiansonz; 16th Feb 2014 at 17:29.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by TaffinOut View Post
    P.S. I know this forum dates back almost 8 years, but I'm hoping someone who can help me is still around. Thanks!!
    Actually TTLG has been around 15 years or so, since Thief 1. And there are still a lot of people active here who will help you when you're stuck with a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by jiansonz View Post
    @TaffinOut: here is a post from Vigil earlier in the thread:

the generator you're looking for to open the mine gate is in the southeast valley - which is just south of the mine gate itself, very close by. You'll spot the ghost girl if you head directly south from the mine gate, and she'll point the way to get to the southeast valley from there.
    Hey I'm just revisiting this forum for the first time in a little while. I noticed you left a response to my question hardly 20 mins after I posted that, Thanks! But how did you know I posted it? And am I supposed to get e-mail notice or anything like that about replies to comments I post?

If you want to be notified if someone replies to your question, you can subscribe to the topic that you posted in. Then, when someone replies, you'll get an email, PM, etc.

To subscribe, go to the bar just above the first post in the thread and click on "Thread Tools". In the small drop-down menu, there's a "subscribe to thread" option.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast